Samurai Jeans

gimmegimme

they need to make a 35oz. seriously though, 25oz? that is crazy. does anyone know if they make special looms for this crazy thick denim?

They use their standard looms (which are mostly vintage and often rigged to the point of becoming a wholly customized loom) and take thicker yarns where possible and/or double the yarns. Often, heavier oz denim means more yarns, not necessarily heavier yarns.

Slowing down the machines further might be required in order to reduce friction and amount of yarn breakage. On shuttle looms this will increase the number of shuttle changes as the shuttle itself will hold less yardage of weft yarn.

I have been told that it is trickier to produce these heavier, pure cotton twills and have them stay stable and durable throughout the finishing (including possible sanforizing) as well the washing of the finished garment.

Edited by Foxy2

They could leave it loomstate. Why bother sanforizing. But the other production issue would be construction. You'll need custom rivets and buttons, custom sewing machine, maybe even a custom riveting machine. When Naked and Famous did their 32oz pair, needles broke so often, they had to keep production small and never again since the mill wouldn't do it anymore. It's very dangerous when sewing needles break on high powered machines.

Besides what is with this heavy weight race? When has it been about the weight?

@whatever123 - actually this isn't really high contrast fades. The reason why despite my active lifestyle it isn't high contrast, is because this pair is made with E.L.S cotton. Namely Pima. Soft fabrics make contrast fades difficult since natural creasing without additional starching takes a while. Yes the bottom is from stacking. Thanks!

They could leave it loomstate. Why bother sanforizing.

My point is that the whole construction does have to produce a stable, washable fabric (with or without further treatment) - just leaving the fabric loom state is not feasible option if the washed fabric falls apart.

(Unless somebody gives a shit about their customers - selling jeans that can not be washed...)

I recently put away my Roy RS04s and started wearing my Samurai s5000vx (17oz) again. After a few more weeks of wear and a wash I thought the progress was worth a post. These were purchased in late Jan/early Feb 2012. There is probably 7 months effective wear on these, as well as three or four washes.

Before:

6813658115_516a91608c.jpg

6813658721_dd2f5a5dc2.jpg

After

8570701812_4b0277427e.jpg

8569606067_f1e640df4a.jpg

8570703184_0ec2711075.jpg

8570702308_4815785917.jpg

8570702500_d7f5d3bbb3.jpg

8569606897_f003af19fd.jpg

8569607701_1cc883e3fd.jpg

8569608521_61f3ef412d.jpg

I wear the same size 30 in booth Skull 5010XX and S5000VX so I think you should be fine in a w33. I am an inch shorter than you and cuff about 1.5 inch after 2 initial hot soaks, so the length should be no problem. But I do believe that the Skulls are a bit longer in the legs. In IH 461S I wear a w31, from what I remember they fitted me tighter in the waist than booth the Skulls and Samurais.

Hey guys! I've decided to go with the S5000VX buying from 2nd.

So is it SD1 or TTS? They don't take raw measurements because of past problems with other customers. My natural waist is 30 inches and the inseam on my other denim is 30. Is it still the standard 3 inches lost post wash? I was wanting to get it hemmed to a 33 inseam for a post wash 30 inches.

Judging by BIG raw measurements, I could fit a 29 if the waist doesn't shrink down to a 29.

Thanks for the help guys. Google translate isn't making it any easier for me.

21oz s5000s 2 months of everyday wear, including construction work day job. decided not to enter the heavy weight competition but i am gonna keep the evo coming

IMG_6191_zpsa32a914d.jpg

One of my top favorites over the last month seen here on this thread.

Congrats to this great and fast work. Can't wait to see some new updates!!

I need an info about sizing of a future purchase: a s710xx (the 15th anniversary edition) so i don't know if it's the same measurement as the lot13.

I take all my jean as a 35".

I have a Momotaro701 tag 34, a MomotaroxTate+yoko tag 33 and other jeans.

I was thinking to take my samurai S710XX in tag 35...

What do you think guys?

Nice looking belt.

I'm also at (very nearly) 3 months with my 710's. You combs/whiskers are quite a bit more pronounced than mine. Must work harder :)

Nice looking belt.

I'm also at (very nearly) 3 months with my 710's. You combs/whiskers are quite a bit more pronounced than mine. Must work harder :)

Thanks, Black. I ride a bike when my knee isn't giving me trouble (another gripe for another day) and that definitely contributes to strong combs and whiskers. The belt is from Jean Shop. I love that its size ebbs and flows with mine. Haha. I hope to see some pics of yours soon.

I'm a 70 year old guy and know little of this jean world. I have a pair of Sugar Cane Hawaiis that I love. Does anyone know of a Samurai jean with a relaxed fit, high rise and straight leg that might work for me. I saw a painters jean on BiG site that might work. Any help would be great.

Thanx, laz