japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

I have a friend who is a Korean national and did her graduate studies here in Japan and now works for ABeam consulting (www.abeam.com). Her Japanese is solid and she has a Japanese graduate degree under her belt but she works for Japanese domestic companies helping them with strategic consulting, etc. so its possible.

But since you mention you're Korean and speak fluent Korean plus did an internship with one of the top chaebol, why don't you apply for consulting positions with Bain, McKinsey, Monitor group, etc., in Korea?

Competition won't be as fierce as in the US plus you can leverage your Japanese skills after a year to work with multi-national Korean/Japanese companies that need someone that can speak both languages.

I have a friend that currently works for Bain in the Seoul office if you need a contact.

its definately tough out there,my brother was laid off over the summer and managed to find a job a week ago. he was in retail industry as merchandise coordinator. now hes in client services as admin. just have to be flexible and switch to an industry that's not being affected by the market much. but yeah,it's definately bad out there..

quick career bullshit.

1. How competitive are positions at top firms in japan for non-japanese graduates? I was looking through the profiles for Bain (one of my boys used to work there) and most of them graduated from Todai but with some bullshit degree like education or latin american studies. I know Tokyo U is mad competitive in the first place but I was wonderin what the competitition is like for non-japanese university graduates at firms.

2. how prestigous is Daiwa SMBC in japan

3. how fluent do you have to be to work for non-japanese firms in japan? I'll have about five years of japanese study in before I graduate and will hopefully pass the JLPT lvl 1 within a year or two. Trying to take a summer to take classes abroad but having trouble finding time.

not sure i can add too much to what has already been said, but i spent my last year of uni at waseda and tried to get a full-time position in japan in either ib or consulting and found it very hard for many of the reason that peoples have mentioned. most firm will ha vea dual process for hiring for japan / non-japan grad and they are quite different. since grades don't count for japan grad, most firm will have an exam to sort out people (sort of like what McK does) and unless your japanese is perfect, there's no way you'll make it through. Otherwise, you have to go through the boston career fair (or whatever it's called). i know many of the ppl that studied full time at waseda at the international faculty (SILS) had to go through this route even though they were perfectly fluent (and in many case japanese but had grown up abroad)...

Just wanted to say that even though i had a great resume (and was invited to interviews at pretty much all firms i applied through in canada), the only interviews i manage to get in japan were though alumnis or contacts and never manage to get anything concrete so had to go back home and had missed the previous year recruiting season and kind of got fucked...

like many have mentionned before, it's much easier to get a job in your home country and ask for a transfer after 2 years, consulting firm are especially keen to let you do that. when i interviewed with McK and Bain, they both said many many time that it would definetly be easy to do (ended doing ib anyway...). but if you are a good candidate, it's definetely possible. one of my buddy from waseda (fellow exchange student) is now working at McK in Tokyo and his japanese wasn't all that good back then (although i imagine he must have continued). he has a "perfect" McK background (german dude who went to uni in the states by his own and did a master at kennedy school of government), but still, judging by what you said, i don't think it would be impossible, just much harder.

rajio: sorry you didn't the job at google, did you end up speaking with my brother finally?

on a totally different topic, after 21 months without any holidays, i finally manage to get 2 weeks at christmas and was suppose to go to japan, but i could only confirm last week and getting a ticket with miles is completely impossible and tickets are so expensive... since i have to pay for the gf has well, we've decided that i would end up costing too much (and let's say that giving that bonus will be down this year, i'm not to keen to put this on credit) so we decided to cancel. i had already organized tons of shit with friends, i'm really disapointed...

Yeah I noticed that flights near xmas jumped significantly over the past few weeks. Sucks you had to bail out of your plans. Hotel rates are coming down though...

I only really know things from the tech side @ google, but one of my close friends there was telling me that moving around isn't particularly difficult, could you go the route of apping to US google and applying to xfer down the road? Granted you might get stuck in the states for a while...I don't really know what your previous experience is like, but there's still some hiring in prop shops/trading firms/hedge funds with offices in tokyo, although sometimes it's entry level or can-run-his-own-desk shit. Fuck, with so many banks closing down trading desks/prop desks, I imagine competition on all this stuff is pretty ridiculous.

Bonuses look like they will probably suck everywhere as even if your firm is killing it, since it is SO much harder to run to the competition, partners/management everywhere can afford to pay a lot less to keep people. bleh.

Yeah I noticed that flights near xmas jumped significantly over the past few weeks. Sucks you had to bail out of your plans. Hotel rates are coming down though...

the fact the my monopoly money has dropped like 30% against the yen in the past 2 months does not help to.

but on the bright side, i'll most likely go to new york for a few days and a week in Whistler, so it's not like it's gonna suck either ;)

but i've studied twice abroad during uni (norway and japan) and have tons of friend in europe / japan that i rarely ever see, especially since i've had such a hard time getting some time off work and has only has 3 weeks of holiday a year. really sucks cause they see each other much all the times. ain't too many places i can go for only a week-end from montreal, living in north america definetely has it's drawback

Fuck yea! meetup!!!

First week I'll be there work related with Mr and Mrs Self Edge, afterwards I'll just be having fun, walking around, researching, looking at more jeans, reading, the works...

mr cotton duck please elaborate where you will be going to be "walking around, researching, looking at more jeans"? Okayama?

you can tell me via pm if you wish... tnx in advance

well, it's the main store of the brand kapital as i'm sure you know of. located in ebisu and it will blow your mind. well, it blew mine. you've seen a lot more of this crazy vintage/workwear/and-everything-in-between than me but from the moment i stepped into the store i was baffled, amazed and inspired. i don't think i left until i'd touched everything in the store three times.

plus they have a few other stores focused on jeans and other things. internet and horriblyjollyjinx know more.