japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

can you read/speak Japanese? Because it willl give you a lot more, and cheaper, options. This site http://www.monthly-abest.com/tokyo/ has some and so does this one http://www.monthly-tokyo.jp/ichiran.php?clss=TK005&eki=16959000 my friend stayed at this place in Ebisu/Hiroo area http://www.monthly-tokyo.jp/detail.php?clss=TK005&f_n=OS001&b_n=317

if you want a place that is gaijin friendly, I know the staff here speaks English.

http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/portal/my/info_page_e.Eng?f_no=19988

online booking seems fucked, but try calling them.

i like how japanese news is going crazy about japanese college kids getting caught smoking/dealing weed

they showed some video with rats being injected with thc and being mad lazy and then attacking each other

news casters all like omgs weed so scary

oh my...

also all the weed they show being confiscated is the most schwag looking crap ever

^lol yep...

homme If i am still there which will be not likely then it will happen! But you never know, i would think by that stage i will be major broke. Staying in Japan for one month will take its toll on my wallet..

Hey Herp where will you be staying? i'll be in Saitama and maybe higashimurayama possibly...depending on a few things

edit: 3000.. woo

i like how japanese news is going crazy about japanese college kids getting caught smoking/dealing weed

they showed some video with rats being injected with thc and being mad lazy and then attacking each other

news casters all like omgs weed so scary

oh my...

also all the weed they show being confiscated is the most schwag looking crap ever

Japanese media dramatizes the shit out of everything.

Also, it was entertaining recently when those Russian sumo wrestlers were caught with weed and had to go through the public shaming ritual on TV. Its always nice to watch those press conferences where reporters ask the most asshole possible questions in the politest possible keigo.

^lol yep...

homme If i am still there which will be not likely then it will happen! But you never know, i would think by that stage i will be major broke. Staying in Japan for one month will take its toll on my wallet..

Hey Herp where will you be staying? i'll be in Saitama and maybe higashimurayama possibly...depending on a few things

Higashi-murayama?! Are you gonna take fukutoshin-sen? that place is mad far from the city center.

ill be staying at my (parents') place in meguro.

Does anybody have membership or know someone that could introduce me to get membership to this salon?

kasumicho_001.jpg

kasumicho_002.jpg

It just opened a few months ago in Nishi-azabu and I want to get in...

Here's what one blogger has to say about the place...

第2回は、ダイニングバー「birth」の場所に6月からオープンした

会員制ラウンジ「霞蝶サロン」をレポします。

レトルフの上級ラウンジというアプローチで、レトルフのスタッフがこちらでも運営しています。

一般の席とは別に、VIPシート、ロイヤルVIPというのが存在しますが、VIPシートはカーテンで仕切られたソファー席。ロイヤルVIPは、長細いカラオケ付き個室(ただし、なぜか天井がとても低い...)。

ここのシステムは、レトルフとほぼ同様ですが、エントランスの認証システムなどはないようです。

女性のレベルは総じて高いほうだと思いますが、この西麻布界隈では、エントランスチャージが一番高い店です

またレポートします。

Also, anybody going to any fashion shows next week or the week after?

I just got the Lithium Homme invitation and was curious if any sufu's are going to any others as well....

Hey guise,

I'll be in Japan for about 3 weeks over the new year - and out of those three I'll have about four or five days to spend in Tokyo. I have no idea what to do about accommodation, but I was thinking just booking a room in a youth hostel for me and my friend. Yea/nay?

Also, seeing as I'll be spending only a week in Tokyo, would you guys be able to list like a Top 5 or Top 10 of essential Tokyo shopping districts that I should check out? I have no idea what Tokyo is like (I've only ever been in the Kansai area, and only very briefly. That's where I'll be most of the trip anyway).

Thanks for your help.

Hey guise,

I'll be in Japan for about 3 weeks over the new year - and out of those three I'll have about four or five days to spend in Tokyo. I have no idea what to do about accommodation, but I was thinking just booking a room in a youth hostel for me and my friend. Yea/nay?

Also, seeing as I'll be spending only a week in Tokyo, would you guys be able to list like a Top 5 or Top 10 of essential Tokyo shopping districts that I should check out? I have no idea what Tokyo is like (I've only ever been in the Kansai area, and only very briefly. That's where I'll be most of the trip anyway).

Thanks for your help.

Kita-senju, omiya, and kameari districts have really cool shops. :):):)

Hey guise,

Thanks for your help.

I got you man, hit these spots and you can't go wrong bro.

Mad chink honeys eeeeeeeverywhere.

1) Apgujeong

86) Maoming Lu

2) Namdaemun

3) Dongdaemun

10) Huaihai Zhong Lu

4) Insa-dong

5) Itaewon

92) Hengshan Lu,

6) Myeong-dong

I got you man, hit these spots and you can't go wrong bro.

Mad chink honeys eeeeeeeverywhere.

1) Apgujeong

86) Maoming Lu

2) Namdaemun

3) Dongdaemun

10) Huaihai Zhong Lu

4) Insa-dong

5) Itaewon

92) Hengshan Lu,

6) Myeong-dong

Testify.

So I slid my Tokyo homie to the most recent Ipod battle at Warehouse. Personally, I think it seems like the lamest format for an event ever. I asked him what he thought and he basically concurred. The idea that one team can "out-pick" the other one from their collective Ipods seems pretty weak to me. Then again, I saw my Japanese friend who does the WESC events and the Diesel stuff and described the same event as being "さいこう". Jury is still out. Still seems wack though.

quick career bullshit.

1. How competitive are positions at top firms in japan for non-japanese graduates? I was looking through the profiles for Bain (one of my boys used to work there) and most of them graduated from Todai but with some bullshit degree like education or latin american studies. I know Tokyo U is mad competitive in the first place but I was wonderin what the competitition is like for non-japanese university graduates at firms.

2. how prestigous is Daiwa SMBC in japan

3. how fluent do you have to be to work for non-japanese firms in japan? I'll have about five years of japanese study in before I graduate and will hopefully pass the JLPT lvl 1 within a year or two. Trying to take a summer to take classes abroad but having trouble finding time.

I know some people that went to that iPod thing. Said it was ok, but less people than expected. Seems like a cheesy concept for a club of warehouse's size..

Went to Mado Lounge, sound system is shit, but decent crowd. Does anyone frequent that place?

I thought that venue was dope. Went with rajio-chan and a few other people.

it was hosted by "KOOL," i think.

Testify.

So I slid my Tokyo homie to the most recent Ipod battle at Warehouse. Personally, I think it seems like the lamest format for an event ever. I asked him what he thought and he basically concurred. The idea that one team can "out-pick" the other one from their collective Ipods seems pretty weak to me. Then again, I saw my Japanese friend who does the WESC events and the Diesel stuff and described the same event as being "さいこう". Jury is still out. Still seems wack though.

the ipod battles are a great idea and some have been fun...

the ipod battles are basically the same concept as a jamaican soundclash...which actually spawned hip-hop/turntablism (theory is arguable), yet have the advantages of today's technology.

^lol yep...

yo jcotteri,

what part of dasaitama you stayin at? kabas b kinda cheap over there.

quick career bullshit.

1. How competitive are positions at top firms in japan for non-japanese graduates? I was looking through the profiles for Bain (one of my boys used to work there) and most of them graduated from Todai but with some bullshit degree like education or latin american studies. I know Tokyo U is mad competitive in the first place but I was wonderin what the competitition is like for non-japanese university graduates at firms.

3. how fluent do you have to be to work for non-japanese firms in japan? I'll have about five years of japanese study in before I graduate and will hopefully pass the JLPT lvl 1 within a year or two. Trying to take a summer to take classes abroad but having trouble finding time.

as for no.2 - Daiwa is a pretty reputable IB but amongst the local houses i think Nomura and Sumitomo have the edge in terms of market share. i'm sure raj can fill in some more details.

Went to Mado Lounge, sound system is shit, but decent crowd. Does anyone frequent that place?

You mean the event held at the top of Roppongi Hills?

I think gonexgrey, herpsky, and I went there last summer.

Crowd was decent, sound was ok from what I remember. I just didn't like the fact that there was no decent "lounge" area in the hall. Seemed like two big bars that they renovated into dance halls.

Edit: Didn't read Herp's response...

quick career bullshit.

Depends on the firm and the position. What jobs are you looking at? Banking, consulting, IT, etc? For consulting, my impression and from what my senpai who used to work for McKinsey and now works for Bain Capital has said is that since consulting requires you to work on the site of the company, and in this case a domestic Japanese company, they prefer graduates who are Japanese just because it removes the cultural differences and stigmas of domestic companies using a foreign consulting service to add in strategic restructuring. If your Japanese is amazing and you have great understanding of cultural nuances in Japanese culture, than you might have a shot. But honestly consulting is bullshit and doesn't require a masters degree in physics, hence why they grab a ton of Todai liberal art graduates. But in this market with so much competition, my gut says that a long line of Todai, Keio, and Waseda graduates who lived abroad will be first in line before they consider a foreigner for the position. A better bet would be to get into Bain from a US office and asked to be transferred after a year. Two of my friends did this and spent a year in Japan.

Not very prestigous, even by Japanese standards. Nomura is tops.

Again, this depends on the industry and position. Obviously, the more fluent the better. Your JLPT level 1 might help you get the initial interview but you obviously will need to back it up with onsite interviews in perfect keigo.

You mean the event held at the top of Roppongi Hills?

I think gonexgrey, herpsky, and I went there last summer.

Crowd was decent, sound was ok from what I remember. I just didn't like the fact that there was no decent "lounge" area in the hall. Seemed like two big bars that they renovated into dance halls.

Yeah, I went there last weekend for an event. I don't like the set up that much either. Of course you have the sick night view, etc. and the one smaller bar is nice for a bar, but overall its such a wide open space--plus the bathroom is trek--that it feels thrown together. Which it probably was. VIP is nice though.

Daiwa is alright for a Japanese IB, but yeah Nomura is a lot better. I wouldn't recommend working at either. You put in slave hours that would be better spent at a western bank that will compensate accordingly.

Also, JLPT 1 is nice on paper, but you're still 10 steps behind any native speaker and 8 steps behind any Chinese kid that can read kanji or any Korean that has been studying more than a year.

We've been over this before, but bottom line is like Rajio said:

Get hired abroad and sent here.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking into consulting.

I interned at one of the 4 major korean companies and even though I spoke perfect korean (i'm korean) all the projects/presentations they stuck me with were done in english (ie: for an english audience). They were fiending for fluent english speakers with a US background to handle all their foreign related deals/projects. I was thinking maybe there was a similiar demand in japan. But as rajio said, it only makes sense that they would be inclined to hire strictly japanese given the nature of the industry anyway.

Any particular firms that are known to be foreigner friendly? Will probably apply to NYC/Midwest for most companies but I want to try to spread a wide net given the shitty economy....

Korean, huh.

Then fuck it, you should just try and pretend you are Japanese.

Japanese companies don't really like to deal with foreign salespeople or foreign consultants, and to be honest I think its worst if you're Asian.

Also, maybe it seems shitty to get "stuck" with English presentations, but all your co-workers would kill to speak fluent English and its probably part of the reason the company hired you in the first place, no matter how you look at it its going to be a "skill" that you have and the company will want to use.