japan :: tokyo :: general

lamscott

well, it's the main store of the brand kapital as i'm sure you know of. located in ebisu and it will blow your mind. well, it blew mine. you've seen a lot more of this crazy vintage/workwear/and-everything-in-between than me but from the moment i stepped into the store i was baffled, amazed and inspired. i don't think i left until i'd touched everything in the store three times.

plus they have a few other stores focused on jeans and other things. internet and horriblyjollyjinx know more.

You basically want to live in the Kapital stores. They have three stores close to eachother in Ebisu. I spent like 5 hours between them the first time I went. I still haven't bought anything there though, feel so bad about it.

Yeah, lets do a meetup.

you nukkas notice that Tokyo got put on the Michelin map today, and trumped pretty much everywhere, except Paris with the number of 3 star restaurants...

what do you think of that...

so i know there are seperate threads about this but right now where is everyone fav places to dine out in? I know mine in Sydney, but yeh not that it matters..

also anyone want to donate a really nice mobile phone for me to use whilst i'm in Japan so i don't have ot buy some junk.. can't be on Docomo caus they don't do prepaid anymore :( which was my first choice. prefs softbank.. stupd request i know...oh well.

you nukkas notice that Tokyo got put on the Michelin map today, and trumped pretty much everywhere, except Paris with the number of 3 star restaurants...

so i know there are seperate threads about this but right now where is everyone fav places to dine out in? I know mine in Sydney, but yeh not that it matters..

also anyone want to donate a really nice mobile phone for me to use whilst i'm in Japan so i don't have ot buy some junk.. can't be on Docomo caus they don't do prepaid anymore :( which was my first choice. prefs softbank.. stupd request i know...oh well.

ye softbank prepaids arent anything special but they do the job...not too sure if many places do them anymore though.

how long are you in japan anyways, few weeks?? you will probably find it hard to get a mobile legitimately through a combini/phone store without a permanent japanese address etc. best to go with a friend.

i would have lent you mine but its already being lent.

yeah....this actually started last year with the first edition that came out for Tokyo.

The guide does include some of the best restaurants in the city (obvious places like Joel Robuchon, Kyubei, Ryugin, Tapas Molecular Ba, Ukai-tei etc.) but there are plenty of smaller places with fantastic food that get no love because they have no hype and don't really want any.

Anyway, if more than 2 people recommend you eat somewhere, its almost guaranteed to be good, hard to go wrong in the city with this rule.

Edit: apparently tapas molecular didn't get starred...food is good though if you are into that cuisine.

jcott my nukka:

You can always rent a phone at the airport.

I've never done it personally as I own a full-featured Au phone in the Japland.

You just need texting (email) and minutes.

I remember that there were a lot of hoops to jump thru to get a softbank prepaid.

I think it's geared towards those who are living in Japan but don't need a super-long-term contract / rarely use their phones.

It's hard to find bad-tasting food in Japan.

One of the few exceptions has been a soba joint in Mukogaoka, Kawasaki.

The restaurant is called

"The second to the worst tasting Soba restaurant in Kawasaki."

(Kawasaki de ni banme ni mazui soba-ya).

It's bad.

Was a flat rate to both domestic and international, so I thought it was a pretty sweet deal.

I swear the woman told me 40yen per minute for calls when I got the phone. Ended up being 4yen per second when I returned it God knows how I got the two confused. Probably because I was in such a hurry on my first day.

On hindsight, I should have thrown the phone away/broken it, claimed to have lost it and bought a new one for them, would have been much cheaper.

This was my face when I got the bill

sseffectsofshellshockvl7.jpg

jcott my nukka:

You can always rent a phone at the airport.

I've never done it personally as I own a full-featured Au phone in the Japland.

You just need texting (email) and minutes.

I remember that there were a lot of hoops to jump thru to get a softbank prepaid.

I think it's geared towards those who are living in Japan but don't need a super-long-term contract / rarely use their phones.

I got a prepaid for the three weeks I was there and there weren't really that many hoops to jump through. Two minor ones though:

* you need to speak japanese (or bring someone with you that does) and fill out a few forms, and bring your passport.

* as i said, I got mine at donki but had to go to softbank office (just across the street if you're in shibuya) to activate the e-mail service

the obvious good thing is that you can't blow any more money than what you already paid for, as opposed to shit like what happened to tabris i assume.

the phone itself was 5k, which i guess is reasonable?

edit: I've never rented a phone though, so I guess I don't know if it's better or not

i still don't understand how tabris racked up a 70,000 yen bill.

4 cents per minute...wait? did he pay for the phone

i.e. not having a contract forces you to buy a phone at retail

Thought it was 40yen/minute when I first got it. I still swear to God that's what she said.

Ended up being 4yen/second when I payed for it.

Ignoring rental fees and line rental.

Say I was on the phone for 17 500 seconds / 291 minutes / 4.8hours in all, and 4yen for every second I had it.

I volunteered for a fisting.

I've actually gone through over 200 pages of this thread and copied and pasted the places to eat that ppl consistently mentioned were good, however going over my word doco now I just realised that there isn't a decent description on how to get a specific joint, it's described as:

"there's an awesome yakitori joint in a little alley off of aoyama dori (it's sorta close to cabane de zucca and ATO)"

"Is the yakitori place like, a few minutes walk past the Aoyama-Omotesando intersection going away from aogaku? Tucked back in a small alley on the right across the street from like... hair salon? small place, people line up, price changes depending on the day/marketprice? (I think 1,200 for either teishoku or toridon though I think)"[/font]

Anybody able to shed some light on this place? like a name haha ... thanks!

ye softbank prepaids arent anything special but they do the job...not too sure if many places do them anymore though.

how long are you in japan anyways, few weeks?? you will probably find it hard to get a mobile legitimately through a combini/phone store without a permanent japanese address etc. best to go with a friend.

i would have lent you mine but its already being lent.

hey mate i wont be going till Feb so yeh plenty of time if your keen ( but maybe silly because i have so many japanese friend living here that i have already got a phone off one of them, though not a good one so yeh offers are still welcome)

i'll be in japan a month, i have seen softb precalls for like 1800 yen.. but they look so shit.

@ herp yeh man i know that i need that, i think it is quite important that i get a mobile (cell). Gotta be able to call up my nigs at any time + emails are always handy and the time, i don't really wear a watch atm...

@bonjin thats not a problem, i'm sure someone can help me out, but maybe not whilst i am in tokyo, well central anyway. Maybe i will have to go all the way out to Saitama or Higashimurayama....both so far away..

cotton how tall are you? 6"4?