Japan Blue Momotaro

Klaas

Good to see you in some Momotaro, Brown Metallic!

You guys need to 'friend' up with Momotaro on FB. They have great photo galleries of evo pics, plus press releases on stuff like the BiG and NF collabs, and news on their more budget-friendly line that's being launched.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/momotarojeans?ref=ts

Like this:

35610_403093575442_31247180442_4893308_8068142_n.jpg

I have my older pair of 0701 in for their hem at BiG this week. Once back, I'm giving 'em their first real wash (other than their first pre-wear one). Will post up some pics soon.

Sadly, it's just been too punishingly hot and muggy in Philadelphia this summer to wear them much. Bums me out.

yeah__ i got to give a huge up for denimhead dudes [in PI, Indo, etc.] like Ed & John. you guys have no idea what "sweating balls" really meant until you've experienced breaking in RAWs in such hot&humid conditions.

btw, Ed, hope to catch you on the rebound__ hopefully, around Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello sufu, recently signed up, but i've been lurking for around 4 years. Was just wondering if anyone has momo 0705sp and pbj 005? Was just wondering how they differ in terms of fit and denim quality. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the momos in the same size as my pbjs, sz 28. Safe thing to do? Thanks!

found this thought it was interesting.....

The Japan Blue Group is based in the Mecca of denim: the Kojima district in Okoyama. The company is basically divided in two strategic business units. The first, Japan Blue is the the largest and sells denim fabrics to an impressive clientele like A.P.C., Christian Dior, PRPS and the amazing Pure Blue Japan. Their second business unit is Momotaro, the private label of the Manabe family. Now we now that there are numerous Japanese brands that claim to be the real deal. And furthermore there are a lot of brands from other places in the world that claim to be Japanese any way. The fact that makes Momotaro one of the few most incredible brands of the world is because they actually produce the fabric that they use for their jeans. They create a jeans from the first yarn to the last logo rivet. We now that sounds pretty obvious, but how many hardcore denim labels do you know of that actually make their own fabrics?

Now where does the name originate from? Momo is the Japanese word for peach and Taro is a common name for a boy. According to Katsuhito Manabe the Momotaro is a popular tale in Japan that dates back to the Edo period, the time that cotton fabrication in Japan took of. The story has a lot of different versions, but the one Katsu shared with us was about a women that finds a peach in the river and brings it back for her husband. Just before he wanted to cut the peach in little peaces it started shaking and opened up. A beautiful boy stepped out of the peach and told them they should not be scared. The boy said to the flabbergasted couple the he was their long desired son. The man and the women cried because of their happiness and named their son Momotaro. The boy turns out to be gifted and when grown up he fights with the Samurai against demons. He would live with his parents until the end of their lives. Just like we should with our pair of denim.

They create a jeans from the first yarn to the last logo rivet. We now that sounds pretty obvious, but how many hardcore denim labels do you know of that actually make their own fabrics?

id like to know the answer to this question. im thinking sugar cane is another one of those brands that makes their own.

id like to know the answer to this question. im thinking sugar cane is another one of those brands that makes their own.

strictly speaking momotaro doesnt loom their own denim either. Japan blue and momotaro are registered under 2 different names that Just happen to have the same Owner.

Indeed. Japan Blue Group is divided into a few companies. MOMOTARO (Rampuya) their vintage inspired brand ,

COLLECT, whom do supply denim to other denim makers/brands (just take care when mentioning brand names to whom they supply). Further you have their new label called 'JAPAN BLUE' which houses under COLLECT. (more info on that here)

And JAPAN BLUE GROUP does have a few other companies under it's wings...

Mmmm... just dig into the 'Artistdenim' thread and you'll find your answer. The denim used there is type sc40400, as produced for SCJ's 40400 a few years ago (their natural dyed indigo Hawaï). The mill who produce(d)(s?) this denim is not owned by SC...

yeah__ i got to give a huge up for denimhead dudes [in PI, Indo, etc.] like Ed & John. you guys have no idea what "sweating balls" really meant until you've experienced breaking in RAWs in such hot&humid conditions.

btw, Ed, hope to catch you on the rebound__ hopefully, around Jan.

ill be waiting if im not in manila ill be in hk

Momotaro 701 :: 15.7 oz :: 100% Zimbabwe cotton :: SU1 @W34 :: fit & measurement : same as PBJ 005/007__ 'cept the for the slightly tapered hem :: double hot soaked :: current measurements : w= 33.75, ins [hemmed]= 33, f/rise= 10, b/rise= 14, u/t= 12, kne= 9, l/o= 8.5

momo2.jpg

momoP.jpg

Momo701.jpg

momoBtn.jpg

momoRvt.jpg

MomoCrotch.jpg

momoSH.jpg

momoLoop.jpg

I've got them and they're perfect, don't have any pics yet.

I'm curious to see as well. Aren't they somewhat familiar to Momo's Europe Line label 'Grand Blue'?

^I asked the facebook rep and he said that it is the same denim on both models. As far as I am aware, there are only two significant differences between the two. The European label has the traditional Momotaro pink inseam and gold inside stitching while the Context pair has navy/back stitching throughout. The other difference is the cut, albeit only minor. The Context collab has the vintage label 0701 silhouette while the European Label will be released with the copper label G007 and G003 silhouettes.

Momotaro 701 :: 15.7 oz :: 100% Zimbabwe cotton :: SU1 @W34 :: fit : same as PBJ 005/007__ 'cept for the slightly tapered hem :: current measurements : w= 33.75, ins [hemmed]= 33, f/rise= 10, b/rise= 14, u/t= 12, kne= 9, l/o= 8.5

i know kids would want to size down more from [this fit pix], but this is my take on this cut. since i'm putting premium time on them i want to make sure i'd be able to wear them waaay down the line. 'had my share of the fiascos, so i always try to "size for keeps" nowadays__ comfort is also an utmost importance.

here's the 701s with the newly painted acrylic " Inversed" GTB stripe [low-profile]. i find the white stripe too much of an attention grabber, so i made them sorta low-profile & stealthy [ei.,while denim is still raw+dark]. hence, the "Special Ops" concept/version.

momoside.jpg

the denim is still stiff & starchy even after the double hot soak__ will take a few days for it to adopt to my contours.

momogtb.jpg