SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

is starching "Cheating"? i dont know why some people say it is

it has a mixed following...some people like starching because it stiffens the denim, which creates better creasing...which creates better fading. Others just like to wear them and let thing happen naturally. When it comes down to it...now one gives a shit if you "cheated" to break your jeans in...whatever floats your boat.

How can you tell on new regular Levi's what wash they are? Say if I was looking for 514's in rigid on ebay, and I cant tell from the pictures, how can I direct the seller to check? I've also looked at them in the store and I cant find the wash listed on any of the tags.

Has anyone had any experience with not soaking their shrink to fit denim and just wore them for a long time? how did it turn out? thanks.

Wouldn't that be a huge waste of time? You'd either have to wear them too big so they'd fit after you finally washed them...or buy them too small to fit you at first, which would then make them too small for you after the first wash. The idea of shrink-to-fit is that they don't fit you until they're soaked/washed.

What sort of theory did you have in mind that would make this an interesting project? :confused:

Wouldn't that be a huge waste of time? You'd either have to wear them too big so they'd fit after you finally washed them...or buy them too small to fit you at first, which would then make them too small for you after the first wash. The idea of shrink-to-fit is that they don't fit you until they're soaked/washed.

What sort of theory did you have in mind that would make this an interesting project? :confused:

if he's referring to levi 501 shrink to fit, then it's because they lose a LOT of indigo after the first soak. and wearing them for months before the first wash could give the same benefit as doing that with nudie and other brands, though likely not as big as a difference.

the shrinkage doesnt have to be that drastic. if you soak in cold water it wont shrink more than an inch on the inseam, and the waist can always be stretched back out to the original size with ease, so you can buy them sized down, just with a longer inseam.

ive been wanting to do this exact thing with 501 stfs, because i know from experience, they look and feel much cooler before they are soaked. and if you look at the one 501stf picture thats up in the gallery, it is possible for the jean to age beautifully. you just never see it because nobody treats them like premium dry denim.

you just never see it because nobody treats them like premium dry denim.

I don't treat my premium dry denim like premium dried denim. I chuck my Sugarcanes in the wash and use a normal detergent. The longer I've been wearing jeans, the more I've begun to see that:

1) Handwashing take time, doesn't completely get your jeans clean and I'm getting sick of the smell of vegetable soap.

2) The more expensive, better quality dyed denims will not get ruined by chucking them in the washing machine like some poorer quality denims. Just take a look at Gordon's pair of S5000VX on the BiG site where he just washed them normally every 3 weeks with normal detergent.

3) I just don't give a shit anymore.

And I always, without fail, hot soak my jeans to get the starch out, and to shrink them up completely. Especially with my STFs. Because I've seen honeycombs shrink up the back of a person's leg and it didn't look pretty.

I like a relaxed straight (528 levi's) or a 505. What's a comparable fit in Nudies?

I know sizing down is variable matter, but if any one recommends denim, what should I go up in the waist by? (inseam doesn't shrink much?)

This is stupid, but since when did Levi's make plain raw jeans (other than 501 STFs)? are there any cuts other than 505, 501, 517?

much love to those who take their time to answer

if he's referring to levi 501 shrink to fit, then it's because they lose a LOT of indigo after the first soak. and wearing them for months before the first wash could give the same benefit as doing that with nudie and other brands, though likely not as big as a difference.

the shrinkage doesnt have to be that drastic. if you soak in cold water it wont shrink more than an inch on the inseam, and the waist can always be stretched back out to the original size with ease, so you can buy them sized down, just with a longer inseam.

ive been wanting to do this exact thing with 501 stfs, because i know from experience, they look and feel much cooler before they are soaked. and if you look at the one 501stf picture thats up in the gallery, it is possible for the jean to age beautifully. you just never see it because nobody treats them like premium dry denim.

this all sounds like a lot of work for a pair of jeans...I sort of follow the guidelines of wearing/washing my jeans like I would any other pair of pants after I "break them in". But if you guys are down with all that...then whatever.

This might be the most stupid question ever, here it goes:

I see everybody's soaking their jeans in a bathtub. Now I don't have one in my apartement and I was wondering if I could soak 'em in the sink?

I have two cheap plastic storage containers from ikea...I soak in one, and I put the other on top of it with books inside to keep the jeans under the water. I'm too lazy to scrub starch & indigo off the bathtub/sink after soaking.

Hey guys...

Just bought a pair of jeans from the new Levi's Eco selvage line of repros. From what I've heard, these are basically the same as the 1947's but are made w/ organic cotton...

Does anyone here have experience with these? Namely, in terms of what the best pre-wear soak method is?

I've read that a hot or warm soak is the best way to get most of the shrinkage out of the way...is this correct?

Anything will help...thanks in advance!

Just bought a pair of jeans from the new Levi's Eco selvage line of repros. From what I've heard, these are basically the same as the 1947's but are made w/ organic cotton...

Does anyone here have experience with these? Namely, in terms of what the best pre-wear soak method is?

I've read that a hot or warm soak is the best way to get most of the shrinkage out of the way...is this correct?

Anything will help...thanks in advance!

put them in the tub with hot water and leave them for about an hour or two, then let them hang dry. This is based on the knowledge that they are a little big so that they will shrink down to your size. you can always stretch them back out afterwards.

and thanks for asking in here.:) you will find many of your ?'s will be answered in here.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic