SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

dumb n00b question: I purchased from ebay a pair of vintage levis and I just got them and they smell hella musty. They're raw and sanforized so I dont really want to wash them with detergent before they even get any wear... What now, dry clean? Meh
I would dry clean. But first I would try a few tricks - put them in the freezer for an hour (kills bacteria); put them in a sealed rubbermaid bin with a box of baking soda for a few days; frebreeze the shit out of them; soak in a vinegar/water mixture; hang them outside; etc.

1. consult the superdenim encyclopedia where you can find THIS POST ABOUT WASHING VINTAGE DENIM (thanks again chicken)
  2. freezer does not kill bacteria. that is a myth. it will just make the bacteria dormant while the jeans are frozen.
  3. dry cleaning weakens fabric
  4. are you SURE your vintage LEVIS are sanforized?
  5. just hot soak them for a while and gently wash them by hand with a castile soap to get rid of the baddies
  6. mustyness won't go away with a dryclean, i've tried it with a vintage denim jacket. the smell did not go away until i finally washed. (and though it was sanforized [a LEE product], it shrunk)

When did Levi's start using sanforized denim? I doubt they're old enough for one drycleaning to damage them.

I took an old levi's jacket to the drycleaners and they managed to get the smell out...not sure what they did though, as I specifically told them I wanted to get rid of the musty smell.

he also said they were vintage. stinky raw vintage denim needs to be washed. it's good for it.

jeans were made to be worn and washed hard, you guys need to stop treating them like a delicate wool suit or something... the harder you wear them, the more beautiful the become (ripping off Nudie's slogan)

he also said they were vintage. stinky raw vintage denim needs to be washed. it's good for it.

jeans were made to be worn and washed hard, you guys need to stop treating them like a delicate wool suit or something... the harder you wear them, the more beautiful the become (ripping off Nudie's slogan)

I like to break them and wear them hard...and then wash them. But to each their own. :D

[*]are you SURE your vintage LEVIS are sanforized?

An externally applied cardboard hangtag says "shrinkage controlled to approximately 3%" which to me means sanforized.

[*]just hot soak them for a while and gently wash them by hand with a castile soap to get rid of the baddies

[*]mustyness won't go away with a dryclean, i've tried it with a vintage denim jacket. the smell did not go away until i finally washed. (and though it was sanforized [a LEE product], it shrunk)

I'll try this - thanx.

blm14 — every try SCOE 10X?

What is this Levi's that you bought that was sanforized?

Never tried. Not worth the 20 bucks for one use tho hehe. I will probably just hand wash them and hang dry and hope for the best.

RE: What model etc, they're a 80s-era unworn pair of 517 saddlemans.

071607213a.jpg

How similar is the fit of the KMW Rockers and APC New Cures?

Not very. New Cures are much skinnier

tron, if you scroll through this thread, you'll probably see that gimmegimme is the one person who offers more answers and help than any other user. Don't hate man.

Also the look you are going for is not to everyones taste be they teenagers or 31 year old (like me) so let's not have an argument about who is more grown up.

As for Somet, BIG have them on their site I think http://blueingreenesoho.com but again they might be lowish rise for you. Maybe have a look at pure blue japan, the 005 is a slim fit and the 003 a regular. The denim is fantastic with a beautiful slubby texture. All the recommendations I can give will be Japanese denim. I've never worn APC or Dior as they don't really interest me, but it seems to me that is what you are after.

As for low end jeans then I have no idea because I don't wear them. Gap and Uniqlo both do some decent cuts I've heard.

First, I'm not hating. I realize from his post counts that he contributes alot.

However, his first response to my post was snide and condescending. His second was more of the same (don't wanna see you looking like this). I say fuck off to little shits. Sorry.

Look: Agreed. That is what i expressed. I also said his opinion/attitude is reflective of someone young..not just age, but mentality. I am older than you, so perhaps you understand where i'm coming from. I didn't ask for his opinion of my style. I asked for help with jeans. If you can't assist, then STFU. And, if you are going to be an ass, then at least answer my fucking question. Is that to much to ask for. Something about a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down..get my drift?

The basic fact is that i got a couple of responses and only one jerk. I'm not on this board making snide comments about others. And, believe me, i do have opinions and as you can plainly see..am not afraid to share them.

Furthermore, i made my living in apparel and know more than most on this board. I don't know denim so i asked. I respect his and other's opinion on which jeans, etc. But, i don't need his opinion of my style choices. When he has been to as many MAGIC/POOL shows as myself, then I may consider.

Thanx for the heads up on BIG. I've seen the acronym, but didn't place it with bluegreen.

I'll check out your suggestions. I'm looking for something cool, refined...something that stands out for the shine, coating, etc...not some freaking ridiculous stitching like the buddha on the TRs.

I need to research more on "slubby."

thanx again, peace.

what would be a good inseam for skull 5010xx raws if i am 5'4", 130lbs. i'm looking for some stacking, but not something that would accentuate my shortness.

You'd have to measure your inseam...two people who are the same height don't always have the same inseam. Either way, I wouldn't go more than 3 or 4 inches longer than your inseam for stacking, but its a personal preference.

hey there,

got a small question !

i'm like 185cm tall ( ~ 6 feet )

so lenght 32 is just to short and jeans just look boring (very straight you know ?!), 34 is ok but still not good enough..i can't stack or cuff them really...so i'd need 36 but are nudie for example makind 30/36 ?

cause i couldn't find any... but ok going to sweden on tuesday so perhaps i'll find one ?!

thanks in advance

hey there,

got a small question !

i'm like 185cm tall ( ~ 6 feet )

so lenght 32 is just to short and jeans just look boring (very straight you know ?!), 34 is ok but still not good enough..i can't stack or cuff them really...so i'd need 36 but are nudie for example makind 30/36 ?

cause i couldn't find any... but ok going to sweden on tuesday so perhaps i'll find one ?!

thanks in advance

Samurai & Imperial both make 36 inseams.

should I remove the stitching on my nudies or keep them? If so, how should I go about doing this (I don't have a stitch remover)?

thanks, calvin

I hate nudie stitching (I assume you're only talking about the back pockets?). If you're near a sewing shop or hobby store, seam rippers are like $1. If not, cuticle scissors, or normal small scissors if you're careful.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic