SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

Do KMW Rockers run true to size? Would a size 29" raw measure 74cm or 76?

Cheers

Not sure about cms (I don't have anything to measure with me), but I wear a 31 in the KMWs 1980s, a 31 in RRDS, and a 29 in APC NS. The 1980s are exactly the same as the rockers in every respect from the knee up. Hopefully you have either the RRDS or NS for reference. Hope this helps.

How would you treat raw denim that you wanted to avoid fading/honeycombs on? SImply give it a first wash in woolite black before wearing?

Never wear them... Seriously though, they will fade no matter what you do. Things that come to mind would be do a long soak with maybe a little detergent to start, don't buy them really tight, and just get them dry cleaned. Here is a response to a similar question that was archived in the DENIM ENCLYCLOPEDIA:

1. Dry Cleaning - the only caveat would be to be very wary of this cleaning method if your jeans have leather labels.

2. Cold water soak. Good for just getting rid of dust and non-greasy dirt. You'll lose a little indigo, and may get a bit of shrinkage (depends if your jeans have been preshrunk) , and lose the shine that characterise many dry jeans.

3. Cold-to-tepid soapy water soak. If you have greasy stains (eg food), this may work for you. It's like washing delicate items, like handmade quilts & cashmere knits - use a simple soap (eg pure vegetable soap, no enzymes, no phosphates, no bleach). Soak and rinse in clean water until satisfied.

Turn inside out before washing, and hang dry.

Wet washing will remove the shine, but you'll get some of that back with wear - as the natural compression and friction will recreate a calandering effect. (like when you iron a black cotton shirt and create unwanted shine).

I'm not sure if raw denim is your cup of tea if you don't want fading (that is kind of the point). Anyway, hope this helps. Good Luck.

Never wear them... Seriously though, they will fade no matter what you do. Things that come to mind would be do a long soak with maybe a little detergent to start, don't buy them really tight, and just get them dry cleaned. Here is a response to a similar question that was archived in the DENIM ENCLYCLOPEDIA:

1. Dry Cleaning - the only caveat would be to be very wary of this cleaning method if your jeans have leather labels.

2. Cold water soak. Good for just getting rid of dust and non-greasy dirt. You'll lose a little indigo, and may get a bit of shrinkage (depends if your jeans have been preshrunk) , and lose the shine that characterise many dry jeans.

3. Cold-to-tepid soapy water soak. If you have greasy stains (eg food), this may work for you. It's like washing delicate items, like handmade quilts & cashmere knits - use a simple soap (eg pure vegetable soap, no enzymes, no phosphates, no bleach). Soak and rinse in clean water until satisfied.

Turn inside out before washing, and hang dry.

Wet washing will remove the shine, but you'll get some of that back with wear - as the natural compression and friction will recreate a calandering effect. (like when you iron a black cotton shirt and create unwanted shine).

I'm not sure if raw denim is your cup of tea if you don't want fading (that is kind of the point). Anyway, hope this helps. Good Luck.

Thanks. I understand what your saying about fading being the point of raw denim. It's just me personally, I'm not into the crazy worn jeans I see people posting pics of. But from my standpoint, A.P.C.'s are about the same price, even less then diesel's/luckys etc. only way nicer. I love the dark indigo color, so why not try the raw jean right? My interest is simply to keep the jeans as new looking as possible rather than the worn in effect that others on here seek. Just personal taste. So your saying my best bet would be to give them a long soak in cold/tepid water with a little bit of simple detergent initially, so they wear more evenly and afterwards dry clean them?

what you initially do to your raw denim won't matter too much. but if you want to avoid honeycombs for example it will make sense to wash it more often actually. while overall indigo loss will happen you will have crease fades in your lap and back of your knees (honeycombs.) basically you will want to keep your jeans from creasing.

edit: actually washing it first will be imporant as you will want to get rid of as much starch as possible. starch furthers creasing as well.

Does anyone know who will chain stitch jeans I need hemmed? I need a 30ish inseam, which almost nothing comes with standard.

Thanks,

-Jake

Thanks. I understand what your saying about fading being the point of raw denim. It's just me personally, I'm not into the crazy worn jeans I see people posting pics of. But from my standpoint, A.P.C.'s are about the same price, even less then diesel's/luckys etc. only way nicer. I love the dark indigo color, so why not try the raw jean right? My interest is simply to keep the jeans as new looking as possible rather than the worn in effect that others on here seek. Just personal taste. So your saying my best bet would be to give them a long soak in cold/tepid water with a little bit of simple detergent initially, so they wear more evenly and afterwards dry clean them?

I see...well, by washing them you will lose indigo/starch, as well the shiney (sweet) finish that most raw denim has when it's new. By washing them initially, you will lose some indigo, but the (lost) indigo will bleed a bit and set (making it more permanent than if you were just to wear them). Then, I would suggest keeping them as clean as possible and using drying cleaning exclusively for subsequent washes. This won't completely prevent fading, but limit it as much as possible (minimal fading w/ out "full" washes actually looks alright, imo).

P.S. If you are looking at A.P.C.s, they STRETCH AN OBSCENE AMOUNT. Also, they are "vanity sized". Basically, what ever you wear now, size down at least two sizes. If you have the opportunity to try them on.... buying them so you can hardly button them will eventually give you a normal-to-loose fit. Good luck.

can someone suggest to me what sz in Dior MIJ 19cm i should get if i want a fit similar to april 77s, i was thinking to go with tagged sz 27 but i am wondering whether 26 will do too after some stretching

i wear 29 Julian red cali no wash, APC new cures 27 (probably could have gone with the 26 since they stretched out too much), 28 in APril 77 Joey Overdrive, 30 in JR hobokken sugar

Not sure if this has been asked before- apologies if so, but it didn't show up in any search.

Anyone know anything about EVIL jeans? Picked up a pair in Camden, London, just wondered if anyone knew what the deal was on them. How many pairs were made up , limited to 1 run or if more will be made, who/where made them up.

Etc etc.

Ta

M.

Not sure if this has been asked before- apologies if so, but it didn't show up in any search.

Anyone know anything about EVIL jeans? Picked up a pair in Camden, London, just wondered if anyone knew what the deal was on them. How many pairs were made up , limited to 1 run or if more will be made, who/where made them up.

Etc etc.

Ta

M.

I have two pairs, one I've worn and one is still brand new and deadstock. Hold on to them. Levis sued the crap out of the guy who made them and they will never be made again. I don't know his name, but the creator of EVIL jeans was this rockabilly guy who had a shop in Long Beach CA.

-Jake

Cheers Jake,

If i'm not mistaken there were 2 different styles done, both with the same detailing but one pair had a mahoosive rise and the other style (the one's I have)- much lower

I've only worn mine a few times and are still unwashed. They seemed to be pretty limited stock and unfortunately by the time i'd got round to getting them, the only sizes left were slightly larger than i'd normally go for.

Will keep them safe and cared for.:cool:

I've only heard of the one style from a friend of mine who was buddy's with the creator of these cool jeans. Then denim on them is really nice, I'm just starting to get some cool vertical fading on the legs. I'll inquire about the second style of them, see what I can find out... Mine aren't low rise, but they are certainly less anti fit than regular LVC cinchbacks.

-Jake

Mine aren't low rise as such- more like a '40's/50's model rather than, say, a 20's/30's model.

ho hum.

I see...well, by washing them you will lose indigo/starch, as well the shiney (sweet) finish that most raw denim has when it's new. By washing them initially, you will lose some indigo, but the (lost) indigo will bleed a bit and set (making it more permanent than if you were just to wear them). Then, I would suggest keeping them as clean as possible and using drying cleaning exclusively for subsequent washes. This won't completely prevent fading, but limit it as much as possible (minimal fading w/ out "full" washes actually looks alright, imo).

P.S. If you are looking at A.P.C.s, they STRETCH AN OBSCENE AMOUNT. Also, they are "vanity sized". Basically, what ever you wear now, size down at least two sizes. If you have the opportunity to try them on.... buying them so you can hardly button them will eventually give you a normal-to-loose fit. Good luck.

I ordered the hipsters in a 28. My true waist size is a 31-31.5 . From what Ive read the 28's will have about a 30 inch waist. I could maybe go for a size smaller but Im worried about the legs being too thin. They'll stretch less If I wear a belt no? And as for washing to get the starch out, I should just do a soak and hang dry? Should I use simple soap or woolite black?

Brock,

Sounds good. As far as stretching, wearing a belt properly will keep them from stretching too far (to some extent). Also, if you feel they are too tight after a few weeks you can wear them a little lower without a belt and they will keep stretching (the legs take a while to stretch out compared to the waist so be patient). Regarding the wash, castile (natural) soap or woolite black will both work fine (neither have harsh enzymes)....flip a coin. Enjoy your new jeans.

I was wondering how big of a difference there is between the MII and MIJ 19cm Diors. I bought a pair of MII 19cms for $240 and I want to know what the major differences are to justify the huge price difference. Trying to decide if I should return the MIIs and hold out for a pair of MIJs.

Are the MII's not selvege or just lower quality selvege?

The MII's seem very thin compared to my APC's and other selvege jeans i've seen... are the MIJ's thicker?

Thanks!

I was curious as to where i can purchase base control accessories( beanies, etc_) online and has international shipping?

thats my first question, my second one is that i remeasured my waist and surprisingly im a 28W..i plan on buying a pair of PBJ's and was wondering if i should size up at least one to take in account for the shrinkage?

thanks.

Edit: i asked this question in another thread, but nobody had replied..so i thought coming to this one would probably give me a better chance

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic