SUPERDENIM SMALL QUESTIONS THREAD (Use instead of making new threads)

minya

So I soaked my jeans and now they feel pretty bad. It's lost it's sheen and just feels nasty, like dried mud or something and feels a bit rougher. Is this normal? And how can I make them feel better. Pretty disappointed at the moment.

im confused. what jeans did you soak? i would guess thats just how they feel. the sheen is going to go away with wear anyway. dont be disappointed just wear them they will start to soften up with wear regardless

cross post from how do jeans fit:

my dad is 45 (years old, for styling reference), 205-210lb, 6'2, 36 waist, 32 length. He's not into to anything slim fitting but wants a pair of starter raw denims. Help!

Sugar Cane's offerings are quite good as starter denim for dads :)

The pricing is quite fair, and the cut usually more 'regular' - I bought my father a pair of sc40301 a couple of years ago.

OK, no replies but luckily I stumbled on the info. 14oz was what i was looking for, and Levis is phasing that out. Oh well. So eventually there will be no more 14oz Levis made anymore.

So now the new question is: who makes the most affordable Levis 501 clone in 14oz denim? Thanks!

^I wouldn't say they're 501 clones but the straight Roys are 14oz Cone. $275 though. A few Wrangler models come in 13-14oz, not Cone but they're under $40 and are fairly durable.

Q: After using my Tanner for a year I've noticed all of the cards I carry have some weird residue that doesn't seem to rub off. Kind of a nuisance with the magnetic strips for card scanning.

Is this common with unlined leather goods? All of my previous wallets were lined and I've never had this problem before so I was just wondering.

You can see it where the light reflects off the card.

UdJ82.jpg

To me it looks more like the card's finish is getting "scratched". The leather is destroying the plastic's smooth finish. Just like when you slide off a car's hood with jeans.. All of my cards get that happening too. Your best bet is to store them in that paper envelope that you get with debit cards. It doesn't look cool, but then again showing your wallet insides isn't exactly a fashion statement.

I'll try the Wranglers and i guess scour the garage sales and thrift shops.

To me it looks more like the card's finish is getting "scratched". The leather is destroying the plastic's smooth finish. Just like when you slide off a car's hood with jeans.. All of my cards get that happening too. Your best bet is to store them in that paper envelope that you get with debit cards. It doesn't look cool, but then again showing your wallet insides isn't exactly a fashion statement.

I'll try the Wranglers and i guess scour the garage sales and thrift shops.

Do try the Wranglers, they are great affordable jeans and they fade nicely. Go for broken twill, very strong and comfy to wear. They come in tapered, straight and boot cut. The straight cut is my favourite.

1. What's the best way to get honeycombs and stacks when you're wearing your jeans till they dry? (I know this question has been asked a ton of times already..)

2. How's the fitting on Flat Head jeans?

3. How are the black friday sales at Self Edge (if they have any). What's the average discount, is there hella people there?

Greetings long time Levis wearer, first post. I've bought brand new 501 Levis (that sale they are currently running) for the first time in 12 years (bought used since then), and I am quite disappointed at how thin and light they are. From reading here, I can tell there are varying levels of thicker 501, but I still can't figure it out. Back then there were just 501s, 505s, and that's it. If you needed tapering, you went to a seamstress who would do it for $10.

So basically, what exact model(s) of Levis will be equivalent in weight to those stiff 501s I used to buy from Sears in 1984-98 for $25? If it is important, my size is 31W 30L. I've seen oz. weights and such, but I can't find what weight those 501s were.

Unfortunately, the quality of Levis standard line has taken a nose dive recently. Last pair of 505s I bought at Penny's three or four years ago were of the same quality (denim wise) that I'd seen for years and years. When I looked at a pair of current 505s a month or so ago at Kohl's I was extremely disappointed to see the light weight junk currently in use. If you're looking for something similar in quality and price to what you've been wearing, you'd probably need to look to Lee, Wrangler, or Carhart.

Most of the denim discussed here is premium ($200 and up), so don't expect a lot of replies or help in regard to department store jeans.

1. What's the best way to get honeycombs and stacks when you're wearing your jeans till they dry? (I know this question has been asked a ton of times already..)

2. How's the fitting on Flat Head jeans?

3. How are the black friday sales at Self Edge (if they have any). What's the average discount, is there hella people there?

1. Go ride a bike, take a hike, do squats; basically anything that will wrinkle up the denim. Be warned, though- doing this sort of thing while the jeans are wet will stretch them out at the knees, creating the dreaded knee bags.

2. Depends on the model. Which one are you interested in?

3. Self Edge rarely does sales, and I don't think they get involved in that Black Friday hype. As for the discount, I don't think I've ever seen them go below 15% off regular price (usually more like 10%), unless it's a clearance for discontinued stock, like when they got rid of their Steam Locomotive and Skull gear. Bottom line- don't wait to buy.

Does BiG have a "protocol" for chainstitching proxied jeans with a red tab?

(i.e. if i sent my red-tab skulls for a chainstitch hem, would they cut the tab?)

Blue In Green (and other stores) aren't allowed to sell red tabbed jeans. Beyond that, they have no responsibilities. Enforcement isn't their job, so if you managed to import a pair with a red tab, they have no obligation to cut it off. Frankly, I doubt Gordon would want to waste his time on something like that, anyway.

Does BiG have a "protocol" for chainstitching proxied jeans with a red tab?

(i.e. if i sent my red-tab skulls for a chainstitch hem, would they cut the tab?)

BIG won't chainstitch jeans from the brands they carry if you bought them from other sources. If you got the red tab skulls from another store, BIG will not chainstitch the jean for you. Check "information" page on BIG site.

1. Go ride a bike, take a hike, do squats; basically anything that will wrinkle up the denim. Be warned, though- doing this sort of thing while the jeans are wet will stretch them out at the knees, creating the dreaded knee bags.

2. Depends on the model. Which one are you interested in?

3. Self Edge rarely does sales, and I don't think they get involved in that Black Friday hype. As for the discount, I don't think I've ever seen them go below 15% off regular price (usually more like 10%), unless it's a clearance for discontinued stock, like when they got rid of their Steam Locomotive and Skull gear. Bottom line- don't wait to buy.

Blue In Green (and other stores) aren't allowed to sell red tabbed jeans. Beyond that, they have no responsibilities. Enforcement isn't their job, so if you managed to import a pair with a red tab, they have no obligation to cut it off. Frankly, I doubt Gordon would want to waste his time on something like that, anyway.

I'm interested in the straight fits like the F380 and 3005's. Btw, if I kneel while they're dry, do the jeans get knee bags too?

I'm interested in the straight fits like the F380 and 3005's. Btw, if I kneel while they're dry, do the jeans get knee bags too?

No, but if you spend a lot of your day sitting the knees will stretch out.

hey guys, my first post here on sufu. got a quick question on the Samurai S5000VX 17oz denim. my waist is currently 35" but i'm in the middle of losing some weight with a goal of reaching 34". which size do you recommend I get if I want a fairly slim fit? definitely don't want anything tight or too loose. been doing a little research and my understanding is that they'll shrink 1-2" in waist but just as easily stretch out 1-2"? so I was thinking size 33 might be good, but just wanted to confirm that.

• superfuture unpinned, featured, unfeatured and pinned this topic