Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
stanier

Ladies high end repro vintage denim

Recommended Posts

I wonder if anyone can help. My wife is looking for some high quality 701xx type repro denim. She's got a pair of LVC and we were going to get a pair of Old Devil Moon but they've sold out in her size and unlikely to make more. Ideally she'd like the earlier type with cinch back. We don't know who makes what but really would like high end. We're familiar with at least some of the cheap UK/EU ladies makers, and without wishing to be rude, not interested in those. The usual high end Japanese makers with authentic cut & details and Japanese selvedge denim would be great! I thought there was already a thread on this topic but I cant find it now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No cinch, but the TCB Norma jeans seem like a really great option

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Norma jeans do indeed look great.

I also want to point out that you don't have to go with an actual women's jean.

My girl recently got a pair of Mister Freedom Lot. 54 jeans (they do have a buckle back) and she absolutely loves them. It doesn't have to be Mister Freedom either of course. It's just an example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anatomica makes a popular women’s 701 repro/ interpretation. No cinch back, but Levi’s never released a cut specifically intended for women with a cinch back until the late 70s under the orange tab (decidedly fashion and not workwear) line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ameritech said:

Anatomica makes a popular women’s 701 repro/ interpretation. No cinch back, but Levi’s never released a cut specifically intended for women with a cinch back until the late 70s under the orange tab (decidedly fashion and not workwear) line.

Don't understand this post. Levi's released the 701 Lady Levi's, Sanforized, buckle back, pink selvage, around 1937 iirc. There was also a budget model, the 401, likewise buckle back.
 

Edited by Paul T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul T said:

Don't understand this post. Levi's released the 701 Lady Levi's, Sanforized, buckle back, pink selvage, around 1937 iirc.
 

1934 as I understand it Paul - but yes you’re right. I think there was also a version prior to that but never went into production proper (401s). Apparently in 1930s NY women couldn’t wear denim? Probably something that slowed the potential market quite dramatically although denim was common in the working environment (farms/factories etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yep the ladies' levis came out in 1934 and initially was given the lot number '401'. This lot number changed to 701 a couple of years later, around 36 or 37 iirc.

Raw for women thread - 

 

Edited by Dr_Heech
Usual forgetfulness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the very early Levi's women's cuts have been reproduced. But most of the LVC cinch back cuts are cuts that would, today, be thought of as a certain type of women's cut more than as men's cuts. High waist, generous hips, roomy fit. Add some taper if you want. I would look at the 1890s first, as they have the most stereotypically "womanly" cut. High, drawn in waist, wide hips, fairly dramatic taper for the style.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Railcar Vixen is a great cut as well. My wife has a pair that she wears. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

1934 as I understand it Paul - but yes you’re right. I think there was also a version prior to that but never went into production proper (401s). Apparently in 1930s NY women couldn’t wear denim? Probably something that slowed the potential market quite dramatically although denim was common in the working environment (farms/factories etc)

there was a big fanfare when the 701 came out in 36/7, features in Vogue, with lovely illustrations. I didn't know that the 401 was the same jean, I thought it was a more budget model but it's a long time since I've looked at them.

The idea of a front fly was regarded as very edgy. So a lot of contemporary jeans including Lee had a zip up the side, presumably to make it harder to fornicate. Lots of sex involved, as the 701 became the obligatory wear for heading to a dude ranch in Nevada where you could have fun while waiting out your divorce. So very racy - and also the first time jeans really became a fashion item.

The original 701s do look great, you could still buy 50s examples in the 2000s for less than today's repro prices and wear them, as they're not as collectable as the 501, and the cut still looked fantastic. They might well have been Levi's first Sanforised jeans too. There are a few items from the Western catalogues of the time that aren't fully documented in the regular cagtalogues (might have been sold through a different wholesaling channel) so there's a delicious mystery about them.

Edited by Paul T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Paul T said:

there was a big fanfare when the 701 came out in 36/7, features in Vogue, with lovely illustrations. I didn't know that the 401 was the same jean, I thought it was a more budget model but it's a long time since I've looked at them....

 

Hey Paul, this is only a recent discovery (maybe a few years) for me, at least - l used to think the 401 was the youth's version of the 200 series (one of the budget lines you mentioned) but thanks to Instagram offering photos (and further investigations obvs.) from various Japanese vintage denim collectors showing their wares it seems the first lady levis had the allotted number 401. Photos of several examples (no photos at hand sorry) with adult sizes show this, and bucklebacks and exposed back pocket rivets up until 1936 at least.

Interesting story about unrivalled passions at the rodeo - the Lee side zip part in particular.  l guess this is where the early (American) teenager was born?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crikey, I need a glass of water and a lie down. This thread reads like The Daily Sport. 

Agree with posts recommending looking at repros that aren’t necessarily aimed at women. Whilst they aren’t a typical 5pocket jean and probably aren’t what you’re after, the TCB Second Subrise collaboration jeans demonstrate that the right cut on the right person (either sex) can look great:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, second sunrise often has Kerstin modelling men’s cuts if they fit her which they seem to do quite often. Have a look at their Instagram or webpage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some very interesting posts here guys that I need to reread and absorb.

My wife has the LVC 701 ladies jeans and we have been looking at the Groovin High 701. The TCB looks interesting.

Whatever the history, I'm not sure about the option of mens denim and my good lady even less so. She has a lovely curvy lady shape, and if the thighs and seat fit then waist will need a big belt and a lot of gather. It just doesn't work from experience I'm afraid. Maybe I believed the marketing too much but I thought this is what led to the first ladies jeans in the 1930's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I am tellin' ya, man, explore the 1890s. They are practically a woman's cut already. Try to find a Levi's store that carries LVC. Try them on, in a variety of sizes, including downsized. These jeans are cinch backs! No belt required. Cinch 'em up! Have them tailored if you need to. That was the true origin of the first "women's" jeans: men's jeans that got tailored by private parties.

Edited by 428CJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dig those green shoes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 10:32 PM, lefty said:

Mrs. Lefty’s small but fantastic collection

Nice!

Madre Padre has restricted herself to slimmer cuts from 3sixteen and PBJ so far, but damn can she fade a pair of jeans 

I think she'd say it's because she does more around the house but I maintain I'm simply more efficient in my movements 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 12:06 AM, stanier said:

I wonder if anyone can help. My wife is looking for some high quality 701xx type repro denim. She's got a pair of LVC and we were going to get a pair of Old Devil Moon but they've sold out in her size and unlikely to make more. Ideally she'd like the earlier type with cinch back. We don't know who makes what but really would like high end. We're familiar with at least some of the cheap UK/EU ladies makers, and without wishing to be rude, not interested in those. The usual high end Japanese makers with authentic cut & details and Japanese selvedge denim would be great! I thought there was already a thread on this topic but I cant find it now!

I think Dawson ticks all your boxes

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1491/8148/products/IMG_0005_400x400.jpg?v=1576701453

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1491/8148/products/IMG_0006_400x400.jpg?v=1576701453

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this