Superdenim Specific Music Meta Thread...

UkeNo

I've never been a rock/metal fan.. i just like don't like the sound of it, i like noise but electronic-noise, i just can't get down with shouty vocals and heavy guitars..

..anyway, one new years eve when i was in my 20's we had nothing arranged, we just decided to go with the flow and see where we ended up, the pubs chucked you out at 11pm back then and we couldn't get into any of our preferred clubs, even the indy-leaning Leadmill was ticket only, as a last resort, some fool suggested the Wapentake (affectionately known as The Wop) a long established rock joint full of aging snakebite drinking rockers who preferred the sounds of Napalm Death to forming meaningful relationships.. there was no queues, we got in for the bargain price too, i bought a bottle of Newky Brown to try and blend in, not looking in the slightest like a fish out of water :ph34r: Midnight soon came around, the "music" was cut and everyone fell silent.. i started to get a bit apprehensive, what the flip was about to happen.. surely they wasn't going to sing auld lang syne, the sense of anticipation was palpable when this came on..

The crown went fucking nuts, the whole place errupted into a giant mosh pit, people were banging into me, pints of snakebite were hitting the ceiling, ive never seen anything like it before or since :D we didn't stay for long...

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Since we’ve got Neal reminiscing … this was one of the best gigs I ever went to. The mighty Glasgow Apollo, brilliant venue sadly long gone, with a (reported) 15 and half foot high stage that Jobson, after inviting guys up to sing TV Star, launched a boy from it because he was shite at singing TV Stars, the second guy to attempt it nearly got thrown off but his false teeth saved him …

Edited by Duke Mantee

A few stand-out's for me were 808-State in Manchester.. i was proper young, probably 16yrs old.. they were supported by an unknown (at that time) Stereo Mc's who were absolutely shite, their opening gambit was some rambling speech about how Christopher Columbus had invaded America rather than discovering it.. the crowd were sympathetic to their cause but were well hostile towards them.. they tried to unite everyone by chanting/clapping "Come on everyone.. who's with me?...(nobody) Fuck Columbus!...Everybody.. Fuck Columbus!!.. shout it... Fuck Columbus!!!"...
..Get outta here.. We don't give a fuck.. we came to see 808-State!!!

Another stand out was Freak Power, at the Octagon, remember those guys, they sprung to fame from a Levi's add? they were a great live band, it was during that acid-jazz era. Didn't know anything about them then and still don't now.. They were supported by Brained a great local acid-jazz band who deserved to make it but never did, last time I saw the singer he was homeless with addiction problems.. he was a talented dude, tragic really.

Another was Plantlife, a gig some of my club promoter/dj friends put on, we didn't think it was going to happen when the venue canceled but they managed to pull a few strings and it went ahead at the last minute in the old (Silver Blades) ice-skating rink lounge  which still had full on 80's decor with red velour booths and a light up moving stage.. it was amazing!! you could reach out and touch Plantlife. The ice rink even used their own doormen, who looked like darts players well into their 60's and wore tuxedos with dickie bows.. super polite and didn't give a shit that everyone was smoking weed. :D
Edited by Double 0 Soul

Some info's to add to the previous discussion re- 1's & 0's which i've pulled from a CD transport review.. comparing £300 transports to £1000 all the way up to £13000+

CD error info:

So you think it's just 1s and 0s and that if it's there it's there if it's not it's not right? Wrong! Digital is much more complex and several filters and corrections are at work and may degrade strongly the signal. Here is some info on this topic: 1 - Vibration control helps any type of gear. All producers all over the world in decent CD players have introduced vibration control solutions inside them and for the chassis due to acoustic and mechanical resonance issues (which create vibrations) and issues in the rotation and also the electronic components that are present in all standard players (for example capacitors). Errors may occur and the wrong correction of these can bring to sonic degradation (see point 2), and the reduction of these errors can occur also by reducing vibrations. In any case I am not focusing exclusively on the laser beam. Adding more control will help the existing vibration control solutions integrated in the player and also the other processes that take place inside the player. Vibrations can introduce noise and distortion. Check this chapter of this world famous engineer, Ken Pohlmann and what he says about vibrations with CD players: https://books.google.it/books?id=Ed38...

2 - OK, its pits and lands, but let’s not forget that the laser in a CD player is not truly reading data, it is scanning the surface to search for a pit or a land and based on what the laser finds it is reflects back (land=1) or not (pit=0), which then is transformed by the photoelectric cell in electric current according to the received signal (1s or 0s). The electronic circuit recreates the pattern that was scanned etc. As you can imagine things can go wrong here, striating from the lens. People always focus on the pick up but never think of the handling of the signal in its digital form and then analog form in a CD player. Here vibrations already can create issues and the Auric helps in the reading of this scanning and the rotation of the disc, which is never perfect. Going back to the lens cleaner the laser and the reflection may be obstructed by dirt. Yes, the disk can skip in the worse scenario, but it can also introduce sonic degradation do to the INTERPOLATION (concealment) of the error correction codec. That is the software that is guessing how the sound could be, producing a faulty recreation of the signal with a bandwidth lowering and overall quality. Most importantly, in this page of the book by engineers Rumsey and Mccormick you can read about the effects of interpolation during error correction: https://books.google.it/books?id=Y477...

..and some wishy-washy sunday morning tuneage