Jump to content
supertalk6

Recommended Posts

P.S. 

To see the finalised shirt or to place an order, see: www.the-rite-stuff.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too keen on the back yoke or the ventilation holes but great to see this kind of effort. Hopefully this will pay off so that we will see size xl also in future shirts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of the Nigel Carbourn medical shirt but with cooler buttons and more affordable price. Would definitely cop if I didn't have too many chambrays already. Nice job, Bryan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! Ooms, hmmm an (((Ares))) shirt, not a bad idea...

Here are some shots of the completed shirt, by the way:

 
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-04%20at%2011.19.41%20AM.png
 
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-05%20at%208.52.10%20PM.png
 
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-05%20at%208.52.42%20PM.png
 
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-05%20at%208.52.22%20PM.png
 
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-05%20at%208.52.30%20PM.png
 
Screen%20Shot%202017-06-05%20at%208.52.51%20PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff and good luck with this venture!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goodrain said:

Reminds me of the Nigel Carbourn medical shirt but with cooler buttons and more affordable price. Would definitely cop if I didn't have too many chambrays already. Nice job, Bryan!

 

I have 6 chambray shirts but will buy this nonetheless! I can't really have enough chambrays...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly does "for western builds" mean exactly? More length in the body or just taller sizes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cucoo said:

What exactly does "for western builds" mean exactly? More length in the body or just taller sizes?

More length in the body and sleeves proportional to chest size; basically I looked at how the average modern shirt being sold by some major Western retailers was being cut in terms of measurements and used that as a template, rather than letting the factory in Japan come up with sizes.

This has been one of my biggest struggles with Japanese-made shirts; usually one of the proportions will be off, or I'll find myself between sizes. Usually sleeves are too short (though for one brand they're too long with overly wide shoulders and a tight waist) or the length is a bit too short for a shirt to stay well tucked in. I also focused on a slightly larger frame; for example I wear the Small comfortably and I'm 180 cm and 70 kg, whereas John Lofgren wears the Large. Of course if there are enough sales down the line I could offer XL and XS. B)

Edited by Iron Horse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

More length in the body and sleeves proportional to chest size; basically I looked at how the average modern shirt being sold by some major Western retailers was being cut in terms of measurements and used that as a template, rather than letting the factory in Japan come up with sizes.

This has been one of my biggest struggles with Japanese-made shirts; usually one of the proportions will be off, or I'll find myself between sizes. Usually sleeves are too short (though for one brand they're too long with overly wide shoulders and a tight waist) or the length is a bit too short for a shirt to stay well tucked in. I also focused on a slightly larger frame; for example I wear the Small comfortably and I'm 180 cm and 70 kg, whereas John Lofgren wears the Large. Of course if there are enough sales down the line I could offer XL and XS. B)

I think Flat Head shirts (the non W version) are the worst offenders of all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be possible to include armhole measurements as well? Sometimes I find that I am between sizes, and at times all the measurements feel fine besides a tight armpit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, propellerbeanie said:

Would it be possible to include armhole measurements as well? Sometimes I find that I am between sizes, and at times all the measurements feel fine besides a tight armpit.

Sure, I can do that later today! I know what you mean, I get that a bit with my TCB Ranchman, though it might also be because of my massive triceps. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, mikecch said:

The Rite Stuff

15 hours ago, oomslokop said:

(((heracles)))

13 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

(((Ares)))

damn what happened to superdenim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to make sure: the shirt is washed, little to no further shrinkage expected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

just to make sure: the shirt is washed, little to no further shrinkage expected?

Foxy, yes the shirt is one-wash; on the sample I did get a little bit of shrinkage on the sleeves after multiple hot washes and a trip through the dryer, but we're talking minimal shrinkage. 

@propellerbeanie, here are the armhole measurements in cm:

Small: 21

Medium: 22 

Large: 23

Edited by Iron Horse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, netw0rth said:

that shit mad ugly aka the rong stuff

You know, I wasn't going to respond, because everybody loves a guy who keeps his composure and takes the high road, but, I just can't pass up a good Chris Farley reaction gif:

R5B8K1D.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the guy is just a troll

Edited by Niro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, llobey said:

damn what happened to superdenim

Did I miss something or to old to understand? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Iron Horse said:

More length in the body and sleeves proportional to chest size; basically I looked at how the average modern shirt being sold by some major Western retailers was being cut in terms of measurements and used that as a template, rather than letting the factory in Japan come up with sizes.

This has been one of my biggest struggles with Japanese-made shirts; usually one of the proportions will be off, or I'll find myself between sizes. Usually sleeves are too short (though for one brand they're too long with overly wide shoulders and a tight waist) or the length is a bit too short for a shirt to stay well tucked in. I also focused on a slightly larger frame; for example I wear the Small comfortably and I'm 180 cm and 70 kg, whereas John Lofgren wears the Large. Of course if there are enough sales down the line I could offer XL and XS. B)

Thanks! 

I just took a look at the measurements on www.the-rite-stuff.com and while I get that there's an audience for those measurements, it's exactly what I don't need in a shirt: size S chest measurements look great but too long in sleeves and a tad too long in the body :D This is my dilemma with most western brands, Levi's for example will fit fine in S (or M if it's slim fit) but it'll be too long to be worn untucked. I'm just lucky that I can wear most Japanese brands without any problems ;)

Shirt does look pretty great nonetheless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally someone making japanese shirts for tall, lanky guys. Size Medium is pretty much perfect for me. I've been struggling to find anything that fits and was pretty much limited to short-sleeve shirts when it comes to Japanese brands. Love the design of your current offering and I'm looking forward to additional items!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking shirt, Iron Horse and great effort; I wish you success! I really like the heft and darker color of the chambray cloth and look forward to the XL. For me, western sizes in XL refer to shoulder widths of 20 - 21 inches and pit to pit 24 - 25 inches with other dimensions increased proportionately; armhole dimensions and forearm dimensions especially. One question - I've never been certain if/when chambray shirts are Indigo dyed. So, is this shirt Indigo dyed? Thanks and good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lance said:

Nice looking shirt, Iron Horse and great effort; I wish you success! I really like the heft and darker color of the chambray cloth and look forward to the XL. For me, western sizes in XL refer to shoulder widths of 20 - 21 inches and pit to pit 24 - 25 inches with other dimensions increased proportionately; armhole dimensions and forearm dimensions especially. One question - I've never been certain if/when chambray shirts are Indigo dyed. So, is this shirt Indigo dyed? Thanks and good luck.

Hello; thanks for the specific measurements! Yes, this shirt is indigo-dyed. :)

13 hours ago, Cucoo said:

Thanks! 

I just took a look at the measurements on www.the-rite-stuff.com and while I get that there's an audience for those measurements, it's exactly what I don't need in a shirt: size S chest measurements look great but too long in sleeves and a tad too long in the body :D This is my dilemma with most western brands, Levi's for example will fit fine in S (or M if it's slim fit) but it'll be too long to be worn untucked. I'm just lucky that I can wear most Japanese brands without any problems ;)

Shirt does look pretty great nonetheless!

Thanks Cuccoo; it's a tough choice as I'd love to make something that works for everyone, but there really is no one-size-fits all in life. I will say though that this shirt looks best either tucked in or untucked but unbuttoned. I tend not to wear it buttoned up and untucked at the same time. Taller and thinner guys definitely could though; this isn't too dissimilar from Freewheelers shirts.

Edited by Iron Horse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-06-06 at 11:01 AM, Geeman said:

Did I miss something or to old to understand? 

too old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2017 at 4:07 PM, Iron Horse said:

Hello; thanks for the specific measurements! Yes, this shirt is indigo-dyed. :)

Thanks Cuccoo; it's a tough choice as I'd love to make something that works for everyone, but there really is no one-size-fits all in life. I will say though that this shirt looks best either tucked in or untucked but unbuttoned. I tend not to wear it buttoned up and untucked at the same time. Taller and thinner guys definitely could though; this isn't too dissimilar from Freewheelers shirts.

I like this a lot. I don't like the in between sizing in terms of length that some people do. I love that Freewheelers make it obvious that you should tuck your shirts in and RJB/Flat Head make it very obvious that you should not tuck most of their shirts in. The shirt itself looks great as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

I like this a lot. I don't like the in between sizing in terms of length that some people do. I love that Freewheelers make it obvious that you should tuck your shirts in and RJB/Flat Head make it very obvious that you should not tuck most of their shirts in. The shirt itself looks great as well.

Thanks Dude; I agree, nothing is more frustrating than a shirt that doesn't look right buttoned and untucked, but isn't quite long enough to stay tucked, especially at the gussets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Iron Horse said:

Thanks Dude; I agree, nothing is more frustrating than a shirt that doesn't look right buttoned and untucked, but isn't quite long enough to stay tucked, especially at the gussets.

*cough* Iron Heart *cough*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My shirt's at the post office, can't wait! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • By UkeNo
      For Sale:
      Buzz Ricksons shirt size 16-16 1/2
      Worn twice, soaked twice.
      Excellent condition, One slight flaw - one of the chainstitch runoff has come away, I don't know how or when this happened, but it hasn't affected the seam or construction. It's a minor detail and quite unnoticeable. Please see pictures for details.
        Very little wear, came one washed - I've washed it twice.   Please see pictures for details.   Price: £100 + Your choice of shipping via: PayPal as Gift or +4%    Please send any questions to PM or [email protected]   Thanks.
    • By edmond
      Fh wabash 44 brand new 200 + shipping
      ih - hickory 130 + s 
      ih black 130 + s
      ih short sleeve 120 + s
      fh red flannel 120 + s
      fh paisley 130 +s
      fullcount olive 100 + s
      fullcount  chambray 100 + s
      ih vest 130 + s 
      Samurai  100 + s 
      buzz rickson 70 + s
      fullcount indigo flannel 130 +s 
      let me know all are size large 
      fh's are all 44
      fc's are all 42
      ih's all large 
    • By dawei94
      I have a new Mister Freedom blue NOS chambray shirt for sale, size XL. I ordered it from a store in Japan during the holidays but the sizing didn't quite work for me. Has been taken out of its packaging, tried on once, and then folded up and placed back in the packaging. Please see the below link for sizing and pictures. I am selling for $160, continental US shipping included. Also willing to ship internationally but shipping will be extra. I am also available to meet up in the LA area if someone local is interested. Trades for other shirts (particularly madras or other patterned shirts) welcome
       
      http://misterfreedom.com/nos-chambray-blue.html
    • By Duconos los Grecos
      Hi all!
       
      I've been looking for basic cotton chambray fabric, to have a basic navy/worker shirt made for myself. Most of the regular craft places have really ugly supposed chambray that's usually nothing like chambray- more like oxford, and very solid in color. This used to be a staple of surplus stores and jeans outlets alike, but apparently no more, hence the search for decent fabric to make my own instead. I grew out of my old LLBean's and Big Macs. It appears Japanese mills have undertaken the task of recreating the kind of chambray typically used by all the US mainstream trade shirtmakers from the 40s to the 80s. If anyone can direct me to sites selling small quantities (enough for a shirt or 2), I'd be most grateful.
       
      Mr. Freedom made shirts in a really neat chambray (I didn't like the design tho), and the supplier seems to have been Buzz Rickson or Sugar Cane. I doubt they'd direct me to their supplier, or that their supplier would agree to sell 3-6 yards retail...
       
       
       

       
       

    • By Chponglasia
      IHSH-79.  Blue. Worn once.  Absolute mint like new.  Completely love with the fabric, but it's a tad snug for me.  Measurements from HQ spot on as always:

      Shoulders:17.3
      Length: 28.3
      Chest: 22
      Waist: 20.8
      Opening: 21.3
      Arm: 25.3
      Collar: 17

      $160 shipped.