What about Jeans Jackets ....

beatle

I'm currently looking at some LVC 507XX, and there are some made in Japan on Rakuten for cheap like USD $170

Are they any good? How do they compare to US made 507XX?

I'm also looking at some Lee branded storm rider for $130 but don't know where it is made. The SDA D4187 storm rider for $260 is interesting too.

My other question is, how warm is storm rider? Is it a considered a winter jacket or fall/spring jacket?

Thanks

Edited by C100

I'm currently looking at some LVC 507XX, and there are some made in Japan on Rakuten for cheap like USD $170

Are they any good? How do they compare to US made 507XX?

I'm also looking at some Lee branded storm rider for $130 but don't know where it is made. The SDA D4187 storm rider for $260 is interesting too.

My other question is, how warm is storm rider? Is it a considered a winter jacket or fall/spring jacket?

Thanks

If the repro storm riders are anything like the real thing, it should be a pretty toasty jacket. 

that reminds me, still need to post pictures of mine...

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/waiper/item/lejw30502131/

This is the one I'm talking about. I don't think it is made in Japan since it isn't repro by Warehouse or McCoy.

Do you guys think it's good?

How about this SDA?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/frisbee/item/10003915/

I also like SC type 2 and and LVC 507XX

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/frisbee/item/10005253/

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/vari/item/lv-jk-71507-00/

Wow many choices

^ I'm loving my Sugar Cane type 2, couldn't be happier with my choice. The denim is really nice and it's well constructed. Also managed to find it raw from Naoki-san over at Pants shop avenue. 

But if you really want a storm rider, SDA makes great products aswell! 

^^ I also have the Sugar Cane 1953. I love the jacket. I got it OW. The only problem I have is that the measurements posted on Rakuten don't match the fit I got. It fits a bit larger than I expected. Measurements are consistent across sellers, if I remember correctly, but do not add up to the fit I have. I wear it over flannels regularly, but on its own, it's too large. 

I have an SDA DB-430 Type III in 38. That I can cold soak briefly, but would not work as OW or machine wash. It fits great over t-shirts and henleys. I've had it for a few years and it's damn solid. This winter I wore it extensively as a layer under my winter jacket as NY had a particularly harsh season.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would be weary of sizing when choosing the SC 1953, maybe get measurements on the exact jacket you're ordering. SDA jackets are incredible. Levi's, well, they're the original. My problem is, they left a hole in the market at a certain point that brands like SDA filled out of passion for the product Levi's no longer made at the time. They're making it now, but as much as the Japanese repro/vintage-inspired brands owe Levi's for the heritage, LVC owes them for proving the market demand.

Too many words. Too little consequence. Take from it what you will.

Crosspost from the "Evolution of Jeans" thread

Since I'm taking loads of pics for eBaying stuff and the light is great right now, I took some pictures of my trusty old Levi's jacket. I got this jacket maybe 10 or 12 years ago. I think I remember that I didn't wash it for the first 3 or 4 years. Got 5 or 6 washes since then. Plus, many, many rain soaks of course  :D

It's a plain normal denim jacket, originally in a pretty dark wash without any artificial pre-distressing. Just shows that all denim will fade if worn long enough  :) You can see the original color under the pocket flaps. For some years I wore a patch on the left sleeve as you can see by the dark spot it left. I'm pretty amazed that there's even some whiskering on the sleeves.

Since I got this jacket long before I got into raw denim there's no before pics  ;)

fu3nyv.jpg

2uynccw.jpg

ve17nl.jpg

fdfyuu.jpg

eqyyv9.jpg

14wx1sj.jpg

x4244k.jpg

24d4l1l.jpg

25ro0lz.jpg

1z5r8kk.jpg

In retrospect I should have sized down one size because it's slightly too big in the shoulders and arm-length-wise, but I bought it at a time when slim fit wasn't part of anyone's vocabulary.

That type 1 is looking really good man. How old is it? Those are some interesting fade lines on the sleeves, what's causing those? Don't think I've seen that before.

Edited by Vulcan

That type 1 is looking really good man. How old is it? Those are some interesting fade lines on the sleeves, what's causing those? Don't think I've seen that before.

Yeah, I bought this jacket used on eBay so I'm not sure exactly how old it is. I'm guessing that the lines were caused from the jacket being fairly unworn (they were the only fades on the jacket when I bought it) and then being washed.

The lines have always bugged me, but I still love this jacket.

I also don't really know how long i've worn it. Probably around 6 months of total wear.

Yeah, I bought this jacket used on eBay so I'm not sure exactly how old it is. I'm guessing that the lines were caused from the jacket being fairly unworn (they were the only fades on the jacket when I bought it) and then being washed.

The lines have always bugged me, but I still love this jacket.

I also don't really know how long i've worn it. Probably around 6 months of total wear.

Earlier this year I got an LVC 1955 501 from eBay that was made and bought in 1996 and had never been worn, it has similar faint lines down the legs from what I guess are decade old folding creases.

Edited by Cucoo

Earlier this year I got an LVC 1955 501 from eBay that was made and bought in 1996 and had never been worn, it has similar faint lines down the legs from what I guess are decade old folding creases.

Yup. I do believe that is the issue here as well. It still puzzles me though why it would fade at all, though it seems like the jacket still sort of creases there naturally. 

Yup. I do believe that is the issue here as well. It still puzzles me though why it would fade at all, though it seems like the jacket still sort of creases there naturally. 

If it was washed and left to dry rightside-out, any natural creasing might result in those sort of lines.  Nice looking jacket in any case.

Yes, the lines one that jacket are from folding/storage, and once worn and washed, it's a a place where indigo loss is going to show up.  I bought a NWT LVC 506 off ebay a couple years ago, not sure how long it sat around (couldn't have been more than a three seasons), but there are fold marks on the sleeves that are going to eventually wind up looking like fineartmajor's jacket.  Same thing along the inseam and outseam of an old pair of LVC Valencia St 551ZXX I recently picked up.   

^ I'm loving my Sugar Cane type 2, couldn't be happier with my choice. The denim is really nice and it's well constructed. Also managed to find it raw from Naoki-san over at Pants shop avenue. 

But if you really want a storm rider, SDA makes great products aswell! 

^^ I also have the Sugar Cane 1953. I love the jacket. I got it OW. The only problem I have is that the measurements posted on Rakuten don't match the fit I got. It fits a bit larger than I expected. Measurements are consistent across sellers, if I remember correctly, but do not add up to the fit I have. I wear it over flannels regularly, but on its own, it's too large. 

I have an SDA DB-430 Type III in 38. That I can cold soak briefly, but would not work as OW or machine wash. It fits great over t-shirts and henleys. I've had it for a few years and it's damn solid. This winter I wore it extensively as a layer under my winter jacket as NY had a particularly harsh season.

I guess what I'm saying is that I would be weary of sizing when choosing the SC 1953, maybe get measurements on the exact jacket you're ordering. SDA jackets are incredible. Levi's, well, they're the original. My problem is, they left a hole in the market at a certain point that brands like SDA filled out of passion for the product Levi's no longer made at the time. They're making it now, but as much as the Japanese repro/vintage-inspired brands owe Levi's for the heritage, LVC owes them for proving the market demand.

Too many words. Too little consequence. Take from it what you will.

After months of research, I finally ordered a jacket that I'm excited of, Pure Blue Japan 6066 Deep Indigo. They also have another interesting jacket, 6067 Dark Navy Coated Herringbone but it is too flashy for me. 

Photos on PBJ here: http://www.purebluejapan.jp/archives/5057

I hope my order went through since it is the first time I use Tenso.

Thanks guys for the help.

Received the 6066 yesterday, along with the 2171 (deep indigo shirt) - putting it through a hot soak/wash right now.

Pictures over the following days...

Edited by Foxy2

Received the 6066 yesterday, along with the 2171 (deep indigo shirt) - putting it through a hot soak/wash right now.

Pictures over the following days...

Where did you order yours?? Does it feel light to you as it is "only" 13oz? I know 13oz isn't considered lightweight but I'm curious.

Got it from PBJ directly via Tenso...

Yes, it feels significantly lighter than the regular denim (XX-007 for example) and it is nowhere as slubby (even after washing). Still substantial enough to make for a jacket fabric, though.

Out of principle and precaution.

Due to constant exposure to water and moisture (denim production & industry washes) in the world of regular jeans production a lot of anti-mold, anti-fungus additives are used.

I will try to wash or at least soak everything once before I wear it for the first time - afterwards I'm easy on the washing regimen.