Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

i never had an issue with the christy becoming squishy.  Dirty yes, but squishy no.  I have them on two pairs of shoes at the moment.  They are acceptable on concrete in the rain but anything else, like grass or whatever forget about it.  I greatly prefer the christy to the 2021.  The 2021 is too thick, but its comfortable.  

/\ I dunno Gav! 

... but ... 

check this out - 

14920828194_0f093f0abf_c.jpg

Taken from here; http://fleshfoot.blogspot.co.uk/

Not saying that they would.. but if they evolved like this, then i think yes, not bad.

Yeah, that's a different story!  When I saw the first post I thought, I like the shape and build but that color's whacky.  But with some wear, very nice, who would've thought...

Yeah you wear those funny looking 500$ shoes for a few years and then when they're too worn and ready to be thrown away they almost start to look good. Brilliant!!! Ahah!

Edited by volvo240thebest

True Volvo, which means they definitely belong in this thread!

EDIT: in fairness Rodeo Bill had a beautiful pair of untanned natural leather Tender boots, which evolved extremely well. Check the Tender thread for details and photos. I think they may have been made by William Lennon.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

i got armorthread initially when i got em but wore them off and swiched to ripples.. but fucking hideous now its got 2021 and i love em fucking comfortable like wearing a heavy new balance.

These are the army roughouts, I'm pretty happy with them. They're about as nice as I expected for $150 or whatever they were early last year.

I can't see the new boondockers having $200 worth of improvements over these, at least based off the site pictures.

oX0XFT1.jpg

Inspired by your post I went looking around a bit and literally 5 minutes later I found these WW2 repro boots on eBay, new and only 95€, so I thought what the hell. I like them so far, god that last is comfortable.

Question: habit seems to be to smother them in beeswax or something comparable, is this just something that WW2 reenactors do because of authenticity or is it actually a good thing for rough out boots? I was only planning on spraying them with some leather protector for a start.

Xvmw5Ipl.jpg

WJ23Er5l.jpg

J85CeGdl.jpg

On the Vibram wedge sole debate, I will say that they are supremely comfortable. I'm currently looking for some boots with this exact sole (which I have previously slated  :P ) simply because I want some casual boots for walking to and from work and wearing all day. My SD's and Indy's are great, but they do get a little uncomfortable after a full day on my feet, all day, every day.

The Nicks are great, but the 3 month wait puts me off. I've been deliberating some engineer boots maybe, in the past I have been less than complimentary about Red Wings, but the wedge sole engineer boots look good and are reasonably priced.....hmmmm

Still looking to be honest mate  :ph34r:

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...