Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

These are not my new pair, but took a photo so figured I might as well post for posterity...White's 7 inch LTT SJ's in Black Chromexcel:

14817920319_d4001950f5_c.jpg

The lug sole is a bit much for me in the summer months but plan to kick these around in Fall/Winter. 

should i be concerned that the bottom layer of my Red Wing chukkas wore through in less than 6mths?

*off-topic

you seem to just be hard on clothes judging by that and how fast you go through a pair of ande whalls. i have that same redwing model and that bottom layer of rubber is pretty durable. way more durable than vibram christy soles and i've had both.

i think when it's time for me to resole, i'll try the dr. sole cushion wanderer.

http://www.drsole2011.com/3070.html

Yeah a local shop carries them. I liked the looks of them, but they're such a new company or the people running the company are can't rememeber, so I am going to stay away until i see how they hold up

Anyone's laid an eye - or hands - on a pair of New England Outwear shoes? The brand seems pretty new: www.facebook.com/NewEnglandOuterwear

The Harvester model looks quite interesting for the coming winter:

1371144299.jpg

Fuck this kind of boot.  A sole like that basically negates all of the winning qualities of a traditional moccasin style construction.  There is no design or thought that goes into stuff like that...it's just treating shoe design like it's a fully modular process, and creating things that look functional/versus actually being functional.  A great example of why I'm especially skeptical of any company that has started "designing" "heritage" footwear in the last five years or so. 

On a separate note, I think those boots are so ugly, they'd get better if someone vomited all over them and then lit them aflame.

Edited by tmadd

Come for the shoe pics, stay for the excellent rants!

Apropos Lone Wolf boots, does anyone know if they got up to 10.5? Looking through Rakuten the biggest size I can find is a 10, but I think I really need a 10.5 at minimum.

Specifically the mechanic and/or carpenter boots, if that helps.

Can someone confirm or deny if the Red Wing 8188 Pecos and the 8156 or similar "western heel" Pecos share the same last? I just bought a pair of 8188 off eBay and I'd prefer a higher heel, but I'm too cheap to import one of the Japan models off Rakuten ^^ Thinking of either having them resoled or just asking my cobbler to put a heel lift under the existing heel.

In short, I want this:

8188-2.jpg

To look like this:

img56825735.jpg?_ex=330x330

/\ different lasts I believe;

818x series 9" Roper - last no. 17

815x series 11" Peco - last no. 72

I'm not certain that it would work mate, look at the sole profile. I'd suggest that just adding stacks to the heel of the 8188 is going to throw it off. The 8156 has a far more contoured footbed and midsole versus the far flatter structure of the 8188. 

I'm no expert though.

This echoes my completely uninformed opinion that was developed strictly by looking at the photos.  

Hmm, looking at http://image.rakuten.co.jp/flisco/cabinet/redwing/8188-main02.jpg and http://image.rakuten.co.jp/flisco/cabinet/redwing/8159-main02.jpg the whole sole profile certainly looks different. Well I guess I just have to see what my cobbler thinks about it. Or rather, first I have to get them in the mail, who knows, maybe I'll like them exactly as is :)

Fuck this kind of boot.  A sole like that basically negates all of the winning qualities of a traditional moccasin style construction.  There is no design or thought that does into stuff like that...it's just treating shoe design like it's a fully modular process, and creating things that look functional/versus actually being functional.  A great example of why I'm especially skeptical that has started "designing" "heritage" footwear in the last five years or so. 

On a separate note, I think those boots are so ugly, they'd get better if someone vomited all over them and then lit them aflame.

wow. your response is so out of line and embarrassing. for a grown man to have so much negativity and be willing to spout it in such a manner in a public discussion about boots.  c'mon.  have a little humanity.  i don't know for a fact, but i'm pretty confident to say that there are actual human beings working hard to create the company and the design the boot, and because of that you might want to tone down your spiel.  it's not like we're talking about thermonuclear warfare or something serious now, and if we were, people might not take you seriously because of your overly aggressive vitriol. maybe some food for thought for the next time you feel like typing something with the same tone.  

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...