Jump to content
kiya

Shoes that look better with age...

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

@fre-coWhat is the sizing like on Attractions engineers anyway?  Haven't really found any solid info.

From my experience, lengthwise probably similar to whites, Wesco or redwing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mlwdp said:

Wesco has been teasing on their Instagram lately about their 100th anniversary collection coming up and Dr. Sole has a official collab with White's Boots coming up as well.  

IMG_2591.PNG

IMG_2590.PNG

I’ve been waiting on details about Wesco’s 100th anniversary makeups for a while now. Anyone have any info about the special makeups they will be offering? I was trying to wait on those makeups for my first pair of Wescos but my impatience caused me to buy a stock pair of Jobmasters already.

84D57B43-B209-43E9-9BC1-3CEA9BFFF97A.jpeg.c366c294596df3e2b935dad8f9883c2c.jpeg

 

Edited by spacecadet
edited to add more detail and pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wonder what kind of sole they'll use on the whites. maybe something raw cord?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2018 at 4:00 AM, Rob060 said:

wonder what kind of sole they'll use on the whites. maybe something raw cord?

 

They're going to be using the #1122 Dr Sole Raw Cord Full sole.

IMG_2613.PNG

IMG_2614.PNG

IMG_2615.PNG

IMG_2616.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2018 at 1:17 PM, spacecadet said:

I’ve been waiting on details about Wesco’s 100th anniversary makeups for a while now. Anyone have any info about the special makeups they will be offering? I was trying to wait on those makeups for my first pair of Wescos but my impatience caused me to buy a stock pair of Jobmasters already.

84D57B43-B209-43E9-9BC1-3CEA9BFFF97A.jpeg.c366c294596df3e2b935dad8f9883c2c.jpeg

 

They came up with a Jobmaster last year in horsehide. 

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/topjimmy/item/wes_100th_jm/

IMG_2620.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody think that “Clark’s” is a good brand of shoes around here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not up there in terms of construction like some heritage brand but as a brand and style wise I love them, in fairness the price doesn't break the bank either.

I'm an old English guy and old  rude boy so clarks are in my DNA now!

Wallabees and Desert Treks have permanent slots in my wardrobe.

It's a shame that most originals are no longer made in the UK.

I've also wore Padmore and barnes but their QC is appalling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inhale, exhale just got some f*cking great looking boots in the mail! The DHL kept me waiting all day but it was worth it. Just hope they fit properly after all the hullabaloo! Quick indications are they're comfortable in the toe box and heel, quite tight across the width. Will give them a proper try out later though.

2018-03-12 19.18.35.jpg

2018-03-12 19.19.13.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please boot experts educate me, there is any difference between a woodsman heel and a cuban heel?
I'm toying with the idea of ordering a new lace to toe boot from one of the Indonesian boot makers (Winson) and want to make sure I use the correct terminology. 

That's their lace to toe design.

2.jpg.775cf6647fb8d9bcd76e71bc833b381d.jpg

I'm asking to see if they can slightly modify the last for me (I want MORE space in the toe, need to curl my toes and want a higher, bulkier toe box).
A previous experience with another Indonesian boot maker (Santalum) has not been satisfying (farcical communication and payment via Western Union, weird last with no space in the toe, although the boots fit well length and width wise), so I am a bit wary on this, although Winson is supposedly MUCH better and they provide good communication. 

I may just cave and get a pair of Jobmasters, although between higher price and customs the Wesco would end to cost a fortune...

This is what I'd really like, rough out leather and a generous toe area for my hobbit feet.

5aae73caa97a4_wescojobmasterI.thumb.jpeg.6f1c5eef5a9207053bb859394b9f8986.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that Woodsman heel and Cuban heel have been used relatively interchangeably without folks really knowing the difference, or aware that there is a difference. I've mostly seen Cuban heel referred to re: White's boots years ago on StyleForum (I'm not saying anything more...), when it should have been referred to as Woodsman Heel. It also seems to me that Role Club's success on social media has partially led to the popularity of the proper use of the term for Woodsman heel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@volvo240thebest you may want to talk to Kyle at Baker Shoe about ordering a custom pair from one of the PNW boot makers. Baker Shoe/Drew's Boots are the biggest retailer of White's in particular, and they can help you to get them build exactly what you want, at the best price. I've got a custom Wesco build in mind, but custom Wesco get spendy very quickly... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My own woodsman heel.

IMG_2645.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotz my new line up from Sagara...

Cordmaster boots in natural vegtan..double midsole n norwegian stormwelted.

IMG_20171225_104955.jpg

IMG_20171225_104646_01.jpg

IMG_20171225_104814.jpg

IMG_20171225_104733.jpg

IMG_20171225_104837.jpg

IMG_20171225_105340.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deleted as posting in wrong thread!

Edited by MJF9
Wrong thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MJF9, how did the boondockers end up fitting? How did you size the 2045 last? I’m curious since I have a bunch of Vibergs across many of their lasts and can speak to some of their subtle and not so subtle differences in fit. I’ve also been burned by sizing advice in the past, even directly from the source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@spacecadet thanks - your message prompted me to do a lap of the block in them just now as I hadn't had chance to wear them. I gave them a blast of Nano Protector this morning to hopefully help them age gracefully given the challenges of the British climate. These boots look great with some wear - I'm just hoping it'll be reasonably even.

You're right - these are the 2045 last. I much prefer the shape of this last in this style. I spoke to Viberg directly, told them I had a pair of Oxfords in the 1035 that fit fine and they recommended the same size in the 2045.

Compared to the Oxfords, the Boondockers have more room in the toe box and I really like the extra space. Across the middle they're both slim - the Oxfords are at the comfort limit of snugness after 4 or 5 years of periodic wear; the Boondockers seem to have slightly more space (even with a thick sock) and so I'm pretty sure they'll be good with wear. The heal is definitely more fitted on the Boondocker and will need some breaking in but I'm sure it'll be fine and it does hold the foot well.

Overall I'm good with the initial fit. I have it on good authority that these wear in really well so hopefully they'll see some miles this spring and summer.  Does this match what you'd expect given your experiences with Viberg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@spacecadet thanks - your message prompted me to do a lap of the block in them just now as I hadn't had chance to wear them. I gave them a blast of Nano Protector this morning to hopefully help them age gracefully given the challenges of the British climate. These boots look great with some wear - I'm just hoping it'll be reasonably even.

You're right - these are the 2045 last. I much prefer the shape of this last in this style. I spoke to Viberg directly, told them I had a pair of Oxfords in the 1035 that fit fine and they recommended the same size in the 2045.

Compared to the Oxfords, the Boondockers have more room in the toe box and I really like the extra space. Across the middle they're both slim - the Oxfords are at the comfort limit of snugness after 4 or 5 years of periodic wear; the Boondockers seem to have slightly more space (even with a thick sock) and so I'm pretty sure they'll be good with wear. The heal is definitely more fitted on the Boondocker and will need some breaking in but I'm sure it'll be fine and it does hold the foot well.

Overall I'm good with the initial fit. I have it on good authority that these wear in really well so hopefully they'll see some miles this spring and summer.  Does this match what you'd expect given your experiences with Viberg?

Good to hear the fit will work out for you. Since the 2045 is a Munson last it is wide in the toe region with a narrow heel to keep your foot secured in place.

One of the things I discovered with Viberg is that the overall length can vary depending on which last is being used. For example the 2030 last is longer than the 2045 or 2005 last for the same marked size. Therefore, sizing down in certain wider lasts is not recommended because there is no extra toe room to deal with like there is on the 2030. Unless someone is “sizing up” for the 2030 due to lack of width, the sizing should remain the same going from one last to another in order to obtain a proper fit. Viberg actually recommends doing this but I had taken some bad advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone heard of this fella before?

https://drfooters.com/L1050740.jpg

IMG_1578.JPG

?IMG_0562.JPG

Custom made boots, handmade in Italy, many models done on a Munson last.

Intriguing.

Edited by volvo240thebest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 12:58 PM, volvo240thebest said:

anyone heard of this fella before?

https://drfooters.com/L1050740.jpg

IMG_1578.JPG

?IMG_0562.JPG

Custom made boots, handmade in Italy, many models done on a Munson last.

Intriguing.

I’ve seen them on IG the past couple of years. Every time I’ve gone to their website I keep finding there isn’t anything on the site and it hasn’t been updated at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 2:36 AM, Dr Feelgood said:

Gotz my new line up from Sagara...

Cordmaster boots in natural vegtan..double midsole n norwegian stormwelted.

IMG_20171225_104837.jpg

 

@Dr Feelgood is that a separate piece of leather on the instep?

Edited by UkeNo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my Smokejumpers back from Brian the Bootmaker.

 

HdrYS8l.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/3/2018 at 5:33 AM, spacecadet said:

I’ve seen them on IG the past couple of years. Every time I’ve gone to their website I keep finding there isn’t anything on the site and it hasn’t been updated at all. 

A friend who's very knowledgeable about leather stuff (he's a leather craftsman) pointed those out to me and said that the workmanship is really good, he saw them in person at a fair in Germany last weekend. Apparently the guy is also behind boots making for a very respected US clothes brand too :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a local cobbler remove the old Christy soles on these Red Wings and add the leather mid sole, half soles, and heels.  Did a nice job and I'm very happy with them.

 

IMG_2933.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 12:02 AM, volvo240thebest said:

A friend who's very knowledgeable about leather stuff (he's a leather craftsman) pointed those out to me and said that the workmanship is really good, he saw them in person at a fair in Germany last weekend. Apparently the guy is also behind boots making for a very respected US clothes brand too :ph34r:

That’s good to hear. Everything I’ve seen on IG seems like it’s really good quality materials and craftsmanship. Respected US clothes brand huh? Now you have me wondering what it could be. What jumps to mind is that the boots remind me of Julian boots and I’ve heard he made boots for Mr Freedom and RRL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125