Shoes that look better with age...

kiya

Evening all, just bought a pair of Mallory Boots from Cheaney, saw CTBs post a good few pages back and thought they looked great.

This thread has pretty much served as research as these are probably the most expensive article of clothing I own!

(I had no idea what a welt was or a vamp for that matter!

While this isn't a 'What have you just bought' thread, here are some pictures and there is a question too

(Pictures to follow)

What's the best way to take care of these boots? I've not had anything Suede that I wasn't worried about throwing away...

IMG_20140106_153028.jpg

IMG_20140106_171152.jpg

IMG_20140106_191242.jpg

Edited by EK5687

Winter '13 Boots Rotation:

cleaned, oiled, & ready for the next wave of inclement weather

d04y.jpg

Tricker's :: Malton :: C Shade Gorse :: 4497 last 

Viberg :: Service Boots :: Loden Green :: 2005 last

William Lennon :: Tug Of War :: Black Reversed Tanned Waxed Kip Butt :: Shepperd "full-sprung" last  

Edited by BrownMetallic

Update on my black cherry Beckman's. I was ankle deep in mud this weekend so they needed a thorough cleaning. The beauty of products like HDLP is that they make clean up a relatively simple task. I wiped them down with a damp/wet rag. It took a while to get the mud out of all the crevices and I spent a bit more time getting the caked & dried mud out of the welt. I normally use a stiffer horsehair brush on the welt but because of the mud, I fold over the microfiber cleaning cloth and use the wet corner of the cloth to sponge out the welt area. Lastly, followed it up with a good brushing. Obenauf's high wax content even leaves them with a bit of a sheen, especially in the sun. They almost look polished! Wish I took a before pic.

DSC_3892.jpg

DSC_3897.jpg

DSC_3901.jpg

Gotta love the Beckmans.  These look great...

Update on my black cherry Beckman's. I was ankle deep in mud this weekend so they needed a thorough cleaning. The beauty of products like HDLP is that they make clean up a relatively simple task. I wiped them down with a damp/wet rag. It took a while to get the mud out of all the crevices and I spent a bit more time getting the caked & dried mud out of the welt. I normally use a stiffer horsehair brush on the welt but because of the mud, I fold over the microfiber cleaning cloth and use the wet corner of the cloth to sponge out the welt area. Lastly, followed it up with a good brushing. Obenauf's high wax content even leaves them with a bit of a sheen, especially in the sun. They almost look polished! Wish I took a before pic.

DSC_3901.jpg

I recently remembered this thread (well, the original one) after many many many years... I think I last posted around 2008? Anyway, some of you may recall LeicaLed's awesome photo of his Grenson Ilkley boots hanging off the side of a helicopter in Afghanistan; here is my pair, a bit older...

Gave them a good polishing after some time and just had to show off the gorgeous patina on them; it is always worth paying more upfront for quality. Pay once, cry once. Worn these Northampton-made Grenson Ilkley boots quite a bit since 2005 through scorching heat rain, snow and mud; they have only become prettier. Working it out, around US$220 with shipping - incredibly cheap considering prices of equivalent country boots today - comes out to around US$24,40 per year. Here's to the next 10 years!

th_P1030352_zps60e0993f.jpg

th_P1030351_zps8928c6c2.jpg

th_P1030350_zpsccd87ecc.jpg

Edited by skalogre

cont.

vh15.jpg

tv7z.jpg

jd1l.jpg

v0ty.jpg

unge.jpg

p9vn.jpg

p3cr.jpg

...comfortable straight out of the box! gonna clean'em and besides that, i'm thinking about dubbing them!

let's wait and see though...

Viberg is hit and miss for me but I am a huge fan of the Vibram Sierra/Foura sole. Definitely need to post more pics once they rack up some mileage. 

How do the shepherd's boots compare with regard to fit and feel (sizing, comfortability, etc) to your other boots...?

Winter '13 Boots Rotation:

cleaned, oiled, & ready for the next wave of inclement weather

d04y.jpg

Tricker's :: Malton :: C Shade Gorse :: 4497 last 

Viberg :: Service Boots :: Loden Green :: 2005 last

William Lennon :: Tug Of War :: Black Reversed Tanned Waxed Kip Butt :: Shepperd "full-sprung" last  

^gonna go on a nice hike on the weekend, if the weather is right, so stay tuned ;)

in the meantime, here's what i did yesterday:

4oikzvct.jpg

3qy2wb4z.jpg

ie8v5qlv.jpg

and since i have no hair drier or something like it, into the oven they go :D

v98m8su5.jpg

the final result...pretty happy with'em :-*

t7f3x57o.jpg

Were those suede to begin with? I've got some Clarks Desert boots that I am getting a new pair to re-up and I'm looking for experiments to do with those. This might be a good option. I'm also wondering about replacing the sole to look like this:

barnside2.jpg

Does anybody have any experience doing a resole on desert boots? I'm wondering what I should ask for at the cobbler. Thanks

Edited by twistedtrees

Whaaat? Boots in the oven?! That's crazy.

This is what we always did with our winter boots, growing up in Western Pennsylvania.  Put Snoseal on and bake them on low to let it soak into the leather.  Seemed to work...

• sufu1 changed the title to Shoes that look better with age...