Levi's Vintage Clothing

Hey Dr.house. Here's the pix I promised you of the various 2 horse patches from 1940's-1970's, taken from an early Boon magazine (the one on the right)

sufuandebay021.jpg

With these earlier magazines, you have to take the dating with a pinch of salt, but they are fairly accurate. At least it gives you all the little detailed changes that occured.

sufuandebay010.jpg

sufuandebay011.jpg

sufuandebay012.jpg

sufuandebay013.jpg

sufuandebay014.jpg

sufuandebay015.jpg

sufuandebay016.jpg

sufuandebay017.jpg

sufuandebay018.jpg

Hope this helps.

Hey Dr.house. Here's the pix I promised you of the various 2 horse patches from 1940's-1970's, taken from an early Boon magazine (the one on the right)

sufuandebay021.jpg

With these earlier magazines, you have to take the dating with a pinch of salt, but they are fairly accurate. At least it gives you all the little detailed changes that occured.

sufuandebay010.jpg

sufuandebay011.jpg

sufuandebay012.jpg

sufuandebay013.jpg

sufuandebay014.jpg

sufuandebay015.jpg

sufuandebay016.jpg

sufuandebay017.jpg

sufuandebay018.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cool and thanks much Doc, pretty interesting! Must spread, sry! Yeah, and thanks to Colgems too!

Links To These Books Please!!!

I dont know if there are any links as such, but the 'vintagemotorcyclejackets.com' website has alot of the information directly lifted from these magazines, which has been translated into english. The Boon magazines themselves are dated 1996, with the Gekkon book dating from '95.

Here is all that I have -

(selling an early copy of Paul T's book btw)

sufuandebay019.jpg

damm nice collection! all you need now is David little's Vintage Denim and Cult: a visual history of jeans wear!

Like you I have Lightning, wondering.. do the boon books have a more concise eye on jean details? which is your fav?

Had both, sold them long ago. The David little book is kinda 'meh' considering the hype, and the Cult : visual history of jeanswear book has some nice pics, but the rarity element means you'll always want to sell it (think I got over £100 for mine!).

The Lightning books are good, especially #9, and the Free&Easy #6 is a must. But yes, to answer your question, the Boon books have the most concise eye on the detailing. My Favorite is the vol.4 'Denim' (denim jackets)

I dont know if there are any links as such, but the 'vintagemotorcyclejackets.com' website has alot of the information directly lifted from these magazines, which has been translated into english. The Boon magazines themselves are dated 1996, with the Gekkon book dating from '95.

Here is all that I have -

(selling an early copy of Paul T's book btw)

sufuandebay019.jpg

What's that book behind the LVC booklet if you don't mind me asking?

Hey,

Dont know if this is the right thread for this, but can someone possibly date/share some information on this pair?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-1947-Mens-Levis-Big-E-One-Side-Black-Label-34X30-/180633402071?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item2a0e96fad7

And no, I am not buying these, just being curious, as I have no clue on these myself.

Thank you!

They are most certainly not 'pre 1947'. My best guess is 60's or early 70's economy jeans. The black tab is a mystery to me though, perhaps some special issue orange tabs?

They are most certainly not 'pre 1947'. My best guess is 60's or early 70's economy jeans. The black tab is a mystery to me though, perhaps some special issue orange tabs?

Possibly early 70s 505? If it weren't for the tab I'd assume they were a pair of jeans from the 80s.

Hey,

Dont know if this is the right thread for this, but can someone possibly date/share some information on this pair?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pre-1947-Mens-Levis-Big-E-One-Side-Black-Label-34X30-/180633402071?pt=Vintage_Men_s_Clothing&hash=item2a0e96fad7

And no, I am not buying these, just being curious, as I have no clue on these myself.

Thank you!

that's a laugh. never saw a black tab before but the copper waist button screams post 66 to me. my guess is 66-early 70's. contrary to myth the big e didn't vanish in 1971 i've seen it on garments with care tags that date past it by as much as two years, particularly on out of the mainstream models such as these.

while we're talking dates, can someone clarify for me when the 551ZXX and 557 jacket came out? I've seen both 1957 and 1963 mentioned as the year they were introduced. Kinda assumed the latter date was correct, but looking at the 2003 catalog roy6 posted I see there's a 1962 model 557 offered by LVC that year. So, maybe the earlier date is correct? And as Levis moved east in the 50s there became a greater demand for sandfordized denim in a more modern cut?

just pulled the trigger on some 44's...rough rinsed (bought in the marketplace)

just curious...are there any evo shots of the turkish made rinsed jeans around? I'm hoping these will wear well...to my understanding the crinkles that are in the denim as a result of the rinse will iron out and they will wear quite well...anybody?

while we're talking dates, can someone clarify for me when the 551ZXX and 557 jacket came out? I've seen both 1957 and 1963 mentioned as the year they were introduced. Kinda assumed the latter date was correct, but looking at the 2003 catalog roy6 posted I see there's a 1962 model 557 offered by LVC that year. So, maybe the earlier date is correct? And as Levis moved east in the 50s there became a greater demand for sandfordized denim in a more modern cut?

the 557 came out in 1962. not sure on the exact year of the 551zxx but it was definately early 60's not 50's. see my recent link to vintagemotorcyclejackets.com he has a lot of info on denim jackets and particularly the 557 jacket there is a chart.

just curious...are there any evo shots of the turkish made rinsed jeans around? I'm hoping these will wear well...to my understanding the crinkles that are in the denim as a result of the rinse will iron out and they will wear quite well...anybody?

If I'm remembering correctly, paulT said they are made with the same Cone denim, so should age similarly to the raw ones. just made in turkey. they also seem to have some sort of weird treatment to make the weft yarns an ecru color, dont know whats up with that.

Yup, I'm not sure where the fill yarn colour comes from. And again, yes, it's Cone so should age like the regulars - except, I believe, there's a resin finish, which essentially comes off in chunks, designed to make them crock more in the first few months.

They are great LVC's. You did well getting these. The wrinkles will go away with water.I love the pair I just got. wear the hell out of them.