Levi's Vintage Clothing

I agree, it looked super hot on the silvetto website but looks off and rather plain worn.

It felt odd too. The front feels like it has some weird material between the leather & lining, and lays funky.

A big let-down. Last seasons '50s horsehide looked nice, though it needed tailoring and to have all of the buttons (which started coming off right away) resewn to make it wearable. A pet peeve of mine, though it's a minor detail. If a manufacturer doesn't even take the time to sew the buttons on properly and sturdily, what does that say about the overall quality?

My LVC jacket collecting stops at 2010.

Anyone know if LVC will be releasing any seventies and eighties vintage stuff and perhaps some more orange tabs this season of coming seasons?

i wouldn't hold my breath. i understand that the 70's stuff didn't sell well. last i saw of the orange tab it was in a sub-LVC range around 2008 and i noticed those ended up on clearance too. i have a pair of raw orange tab LVC 517's that i like a great deal and wish they'd do those again. i also briefly owned some 646's that were 2 inches bigger than tag size i had to get rid of, probably for the best as i doubt they'd have gotten much wear.

Am I mistaken or did I see a 1985 501 from this season's collection?

they did one for one of the big dept. stores as some sort of anniverary celebration, i can't remember which one. non selvage of course. by 1985 the 501 was in decline why you'd want to celebrate that i don't know.

they did one for one of the big dept. stores as some sort of anniverary celebration, i can't remember which one. non selvage of course. by 1985 the 501 was in decline why you'd want to celebrate that i don't know.

I thought it was Barney's, and it had something to do with that being an anniversary year for a section of the store.

Right, I see, thanks for the info. Thing is that I have an original pair from '85. First 501's I ever bought mof, the time of the re-launch and the Nick Kamen commercial. I remember spending A LOT of money on them (for a 12yr old...) and looking at them now, well...they're crap. But I keep 'm for old time's sake ^^

Right, I see, thanks for the info. Thing is that I have an original pair from '85. First 501's I ever bought mof, the time of the re-launch and the Nick Kamen commercial. I remember spending A LOT of money on them (for a 12yr old...) and looking at them now, well...they're crap. But I keep 'm for old time's sake ^^

i was wearing them by the truckload back then. in fact most of my life. back then i didn't think much about it. jeans were something you just wore. but my point is even back then i noticed the decline in quality particularly the lack of chain-stitching from around 84 or so. i used to buy them 5 at a time and during the transitional period i would go through stacks of them setting aside the chain-stitched ones for purchase. i used to love the roping effect on the cuffs although back then i didn't know what to call it. the early 80's started a long slide in quality. sad thing is compared to todays made in egypt baggy train wreck 501's the 85 model looks like a classic. at least it was made in the usa in an actual levis factory.

they cost around 19 bucks if you picked them up at Penny's or Sears.... in 1985

Not in Europe they didn't. They cost at about 75 euro's then, which was a lot compared to any other brand/model. And they were actually made in Europe...I remember my mother being rather cross with me for spending that much on a pair of jeans, and looking at the quality, I guess she was right :D

Not in Europe they didn't. They cost at about 75 euro's then, which was a lot compared to any other brand/model. And they were actually made in Europe...

did they have the euro in 1985?

they cost around 19 bucks if you picked them up at Penny's or Sears.... in 1985

i remember well. that's why i could buy them by the stack. and i would wear the hell out of them too. they'd be wore out in 18 months. but i was a kid as an adult it takes that long to get a good fade going.

did they have the euro in 1985?

No no, of course not, I just wanted to make the price clear in an 'understandable' currency. 2800 Belgian Francs FYI...

Funny thing is, prices have hardly gone up in those 25 yrs. Your average new 501 would cost you somewhere between 75 and 120 euro's now. Just to give you an idea of how expensive they really were then. In the mid '80's in West Europe, there was something of a "brand hype", especially for "americana" apparel. Vendors could get away with totally ridiculous price tags. I remember classmates of mine had their Swiss anoraks insured :D

Come to think of it: even now, we're being ripped off, looking at the often HUGE difference in price between the US and the EU web store. I cannot order stuff from the US store, and I guess that has its reasons...

No no, of course not, I just wanted to make the price clear in an 'understandable' currency. 2800 Belgian Francs FYI...

Funny thing is, prices have hardly gone up in those 25 yrs. Your average new 501 would cost you somewhere between 75 and 120 euro's now. Just to give you an idea of how expensive they really were then. In the mid '80's in West Europe, there was something of a "brand hype", especially for "americana" apparel. Vendors could get away with totally ridiculous price tags. I remember classmates of mine had their Swiss anoraks insured :D

Come to think of it: even now, we're being ripped off, looking at the often HUGE difference in price between the US and the EU web store. I cannot order stuff from the US store, and I guess that has its reasons...

one of the reasons you haven't seen a price jump is a lot of classic brands have decontented their offerings to hold a low price. it isn't made as well, cheaper materials and third world manufacturing. in these cases the only similarity between the original and new offerings is the brand name and model. that's why i like vintage clothing. in the old days almost everything was well made,built to last and unpretentious.

in the old days almost everything was well made,built to last and unpretentious.

You know, that's why I love Wrangler jeans, still the same 50's no nonsense work wear at affordable prices. Modern Levi's are just junk.

You know, that's why I love Wrangler jeans, still the same 50's no nonsense work wear at affordable prices. Modern Levi's are just junk.

well i agree that wrangler is well made and a bargain at the prices they charge. of the big three they offer the most quality in their regular line and most embody the spirit of the originals. but don't kid yourself that they haven't changed much. i own some late 50's originals in very good condition and they are worlds better than what they sell today.

well i agree that wrangler is well made and a bargain at the prices they charge. of the big three they offer the most quality in their regular line and most embody the spirit of the originals. but don't kid yourself that they haven't changed much. i own some late 50's originals in very good condition and they are worlds better than what they sell today.

Yeah, ok, but you get the point; you can stil wear Wrangler 4RRB's to a rodeo. I tried riding on horseback with a pair of 512's and they didn't come out all too glorously:p

[url="P2190021.jpg"

fashion before function? no a little function before fashion. i used to wear wrangler's exclusively because they were cheap and tough and dark. but these levis more than replace the wranglers.

i like em' looks like 70's era 517's. you can still buy these vintage at bargain prices. they are very similar to the 505 only bootcut. i've had several pairs in red and orange tab. they fade great, have a good cut and are made of good denim.

Anyone know if LVC will be releasing any seventies and eighties vintage stuff and perhaps some more orange tabs this season of coming seasons?

Was in Cinch (lvc shop) London about a week ago and they had a load of orange tab in the back room...not sure why you would want them.. you can pick orange tab up for next to nothing in vintage shops. -IMO A low point in levi's history they are really, really bad quality.

At the end of last 'season' I picked up a pair of 1985's half price at £75 from cinch (wanted a pair of light jeans) which was pretty stupid of me as more recently I picked up a pair of real 80's redlines in my size for £40.