Levi's Vintage Clothing

Could you describe the cut of the 47 as a little boot-cut like? How is it compared to the 55?

Its trim... not a boot cut. The 55 is the classic cut from the mid 40s through much of the 50s. I think LVC made the 47 trim to go along with the slimmer market that most want but not accurate as far as cut from the period. I think this past season they loosened the cut up some (more accurate) but I haven't seen the new ones personally only heard.

ThomasK,as airfrog said,its on the legtag.valenciastr.made ones have something like 1201 ( saying december 2001 made) printed in the lower right corner .on post-valencia ones they changed the tag-it should say something like SE 07 ( season 2007,thats what i believe ) at the end of the tag.

Apart from the denim itself, those 1915's on the Hanon site look identical to the 1917's, especially the back pocket shapes + arcs. Does anyone else out there think this, or is it just me? I mean, why bother bringing out a different year jean, if its the same as an existing one?

Should have been titled 1917 cone colab.

Hmmm. I wonder if they are any different than the 1916s I bought last week.

Apart from the denim itself, those 1915's on the Hanon site look identical to the 1917's, especially the back pocket shapes + arcs. Does anyone else out there think this, or is it just me? I mean, why bother bringing out a different year jean, if its the same as an existing one?

1917 was the spring season model - nice Kurabo fabric, assymetrical arcuates, which are different on each pocket.

1915, the autumn season''s model, is based on a red line fabric initially developed by Cone for a Japan-only model, based on those Homer jeans which Airfrog posted earlier.

AS far as I know, the first 1917 reissue was based on the Homer jeans too, so I would guess the cut is identical and the main difference is the fabric. This will therefore be a good chance to see how good a job Cone do on reproducing early fabric.

Between 1915 and 1922, both Amoskean AND cone supplied fabric to LEvi's, hence the overlap I guess.

Wasnt it around this time that the second line of stitching appeared on the top of the back pocket? Dr H? Paul T? And arifrog, are the hems on the 1917 chainstitched?

1917 was the spring season model - nice Kurabo fabric, assymetrical arcuates, which are different on each pocket.

1915, the autumn season''s model, is based on a red line fabric initially developed by Cone for a Japan-only model, based on those Homer jeans which Airfrog posted earlier.

AS far as I know, the first 1917 reissue was based on the Homer jeans too, so I would guess the cut is identical and the main difference is the fabric. This will therefore be a good chance to see how good a job Cone do on reproducing early fabric.

Between 1915 and 1922, both Amoskean AND cone supplied fabric to LEvi's, hence the overlap I guess.

Wasnt it around this time that the second line of stitching appeared on the top of the back pocket? Dr H? Paul T? And arifrog, are the hems on the 1917 chainstitched?

Lynn Downey told me that the second line of stitching on the top of the back pockets appeared in 1922, unlike the Lvc 1927 model. Although on originals I've seen, there are two rows of stitching on the back pockets on pre -1922 Levis.

BTW, there is only a single line of hem stitching on my 1917's.

Hi, I took a look at the Japan site of Levis. In the levis e-Store, you can choose the different collections and there they make a difference between "levis vintage clothing" and "levis vintage Europe". Is there a difference in the collections. Looks like the Europe Clothes are mostly raw, not like the others. Is there a difference between these collections or should be?

What I did not know is, that there are so many collections in japan. So maybe they, at least, will keep the LVCs, if europe doesn't.

The 17s have japanese denim and the 15s will have cone. I think that could be the only real diff but I read that cone has really got the denim right on this one.

I hope so.Would be the best I've heard the last few weeks. Cause now I finally found what I want and ...you know..hard to express. :D

For how long was selling vintage Products on the Levi US-site stopped (if it was stopped? couldn't find it)

LVC is the US has always been very hit and miss.

LVC USA has a web site then the don't. They're in Levis stores then they're not. Most LVC sold in Europte that are mostly US made. I got a recent e-mail from Paul saying that the production of LVC was going to stay in the US good news for cone but the overall operations were moving to Europe.

Jeez why cant levis just set up a single lvc boutique in the usa-with a web site. ITs not that difficult.

Kinda insulting that the iconic USA product (see, e.g. baseball, jazz) is unavailable directly here.

The US site never had a good selection not like say cultizm and they Levis had an LVC US site a few years back, then didn't have one, then had one, now don't, its because LVC sales in the US is not very brisk.

My 1917s are not chainstitched. The cone denim on the 15s has no line as per the originals and I think Dejan will be carrying the raw version. The pockets on the 1927 501s and the 1917s are different. I think someone pointed out the 27s are to rectangular. Also the 27s are not chainstitched. Does anyone know when Levis started chainstitiching?

Looks like one of the prototpyes that were sold off after Taylor Togs closed. They look like a 1937, with 1927-style arcuate (and 201 enamelled copper buttons). Very rough stitching around the concealed rivets; and that does look like Cone fabric, rather than Kurabo, which is usually greyer...

THey never produced an actual model like those, but they're really nice jeans!

Sayocean, they look like a sample model from Fall 2007 of the 1940's 701 (ladies jean), probably Taylor toggs going by the details.

I bought a pair of 1922 501xx's from a chap on Ebay that were from the T.T factory. They look good.

That's a good deduction, more likely than my guess altho I remember those as being even more tapered around the hips - a really 50s shape, and a higher waist - and the production models had a really nice painted arcuate and squarer pockets IIRC.

If they're the 701 Lady Levi's they wold have pink selvage, light weight denim, around 9oz, and Sanforized fabric. The production models were a similar blue to that, with quite hairy denim.

I saw some of the originals of these in Brick Lane... really nice, cheaper than men's. Very weird shape from today's perspective.

That's a good deduction, more likely than my guess altho I remember those as being even more tapered around the hips - a really 50s shape, and a higher waist - and the production models had a really nice painted arcuate and squarer pockets IIRC.

If they're the 701 Lady Levi's they wold have pink selvage, light weight denim, around 9oz, and Sanforized fabric. The production models were a similar blue to that, with quite hairy denim.

I saw some of the originals of these in Brick Lane... really nice, cheaper than men's. Very weird shape from today's perspective.

Yeah, alot of evidence to suggest a late 30's-early 40's jean, but i think you're right on the hips issue. Judging by the amount of 701 prototypes/samples that came on Ebay (I think postmodern was the seller), they seemed destined to produce a 1937-41 lady levis, yet it never happened. I suppose there are arent enough babes out there willing to wear a really high waist jean.

Newb question again.

The normal way to produce a pair of jeans is up today:

Levis develops a new jeans and a design and then they submit that new product to manufacturers like Cone, Taylor togs aso. And therefore there are differences between countries (fabrics in those)?

Is that correct?

Thanks