Levi's Vintage Clothing

Soaking is just putting the jeans in water with no detergent. Usually inside out with little or no agitation.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my question... I received them half an hour after I wrote here, and I have been wearing them ever since. I bought them in a size 34/32, as I wanted them to be kinda short or at least I didn't want any stacking at all. I am normally a size 33/34 and the fit is spot on. Although I read several places that the this model would be about an 1" oversized in the waist, it was apparently an 1" undersized in the waist, which means the fit is fairly snug and slim - opposed to the anit-fit that I want (ie looser thighs and good taper towards the hem) and the length was about an 1" longer than tagged. This just goes to show that there are some sizing issues on the recent LVC editions... But they are great jeans IMO. Compared to some old 55's that I have the stitching and overall quality seems to be the same - if not better on these.

So here is what I am going to do. I am going to wear them without washing them for as long as I can do (hopefully they'll never require washing, if the size remain the same that is) and if they stretch I will consider soaking them in cold/temperate water or washing them on low cycle.

I am also thinking about buying some 501 1966 at the moment, but if I do so, I would try to wash them frequently - like every month or every two weeks, but I am still undecided on that matter.

I will report back if the crotch blows (I have never had that problem with LVC and I have gone through a couple of pairs now ) or if I get any skin diseases from wearing the jeans unwashed.

And keep in mind that there are a lot of different ways to wear denim. There are no golden rules and certain ways to do the best job. As Airfrog says it is a matter of personal preference and personal experience(s).

simon enjoy, and keep a repair shop's number on speed dial

Thanks :) I will start reinforcing the crotch straight away. Maybe some sufu-approved hi-tec thornproff material. Any suggestions?

I don't mind having to mend my own jeans. Furthermore there is an armada of sewing machines on my school and a lot of nice girls that are willing to patch them up, if needed.

cheers

So..I just did my very first soak! my 1947 went from 34/32 to about 31 1/2 / 30. Just Perfect!

Edit: Will there be more shrinkage over the next washes? because I am going to wash those let's say every 2-4 weeks. i don't want them to have those huge contrasts as others have.

There is usually more shrinkage, but you gain some back in stretching, then it shrinks again, then it stretches, ad infinitum.

So..I just did my very first soak! my 1947 went from 34/32 to about 31 1/2 / 30. Just Perfect!

Edit: Will there be more shrinkage over the next washes? because I am going to wash those let's say every 2-4 weeks. i don't want them to have those huge contrasts as others have.

so, since there seems to be a lot of discrepancy between tagged size, and measured size between different years/factories, would the best idea be to get measurements of the jeans (BiG style, or at least the waist and inseam) and then plan on 2 inches shrinkage in the waist, and 3 inches shrinkage in the inseam?

if i get some, they would most likely come from cultizm, and i'm sure he would be happy to measure them and estimate shrinkage for me.

There is usually more shrinkage, but you gain some back in stretching, then it shrinks again, then it stretches, ad infinitum.
dont forget after they shrink they stretch back out again

^what these guys said.

my 1947 501xx (sz 34 x 34) measured exactly 34" x 34" when i got them raw 2 years ago. They've been washed and soaked more times than I can count, and though they usually shrink a little each time, the waist still measures 34" because my true waist is about 33-34" and I wear them regularly. However, the inseam is now about 31" or 32".