Levi's Vintage Clothing

I agree. But I dont think either will become collectable as IMO the quality did change significantly after the Valencia st. factory shut down. I have three items from the San Antonio factory - the quality IS good, but it still falls short of the 555's.

BTW, although I love my 1927's, IMO the 233M stamp will never become collectable due to poor quality and historical inaccuracy!!

I'd like to see you point out why the 555s are superior. If it's authenticity you're after, 555s are clearly INFERIOR, no worse LVC replicas have ever been made than at Valencia St.

A lot of people don't have the capacity to judge things for what they are, so they use brands, symbols or single attributes to do so. This is the source of the 555 myth.

If it's authenticity you're after, 555s are clearly INFERIOR, no worse LVC replicas have ever been made than at Valencia St.

A bold statement indeed.

Firstly, in my defence, my opinions are simply based on comparing replica items that I have in my collection.

Secondly, I agree that not ALL Lvc models produced at Valencia st. are superior to models made from 2003 onward. But with certain items I have had, the quality of 'finish', both in construction and the material itself is significantly different.

Obviously I dont have every single model produced from every season, but just look a pair of 201's made in 1999, and compare them to the 2005 edition.

If I was after authenticity, I wouldn't buy a replica, I would simply sell my house and buy an original pair from Marvin's or the like.

there had been talk around here about the wear qualities of the newer and older 1947 denims : so here are some scientific photos of mine

both pictures taken outside, within 30 seconds of each other.

here is what I believe to be a pair from spring '07 - the label reads 701S

the button is stamped with an R

14mon1947.jpg

this is the most recent photo of them at about 14months

*the dark splotches near the crotch are asphaltum from intaglio printmaking

this is a 47 from spring '08 from the EU collection. the label is much easier to decipher what collection the jeans are from. the top button is blank

6mon1947EU.jpg

this is the most recent photo of the jeans at 10 months (not much wear the last 3 months, so effective wear of 7months)

also, another difference between the 07 and the 08 (perhaps between US collection and EU collection) Mini selvage

IMG_0940.jpg

the larger selvage was the first thing I noticed as different when I recieved the 08s.

those 1917s look incredible, I think those are going to be my next purchase (unless those cone 1915s come out). How do they fit? how were the measurements? they look really dark and the denim looks real interesting. thanks for posting the pics.

I've never read the "Heath" story before. Any chance we can get a scan or closer picture of that page?

There are photos of originals starting with 1890 Calico Mine then the 1901 Big Blue,1917 Homer, 1927 Heath, 1933 cowboy1937 501 Jean, a photo of a raw pair of original 1944 WWII, 1947 and you can see how full the original was cut,1954Z, 1966 501, 1978 501 Richie, 1983 501 and the special edition 2008 oraganic denim 501. All great photos of great jeans.

My book doesn't smell...

those 1917s look incredible, I think those are going to be my next purchase (unless those cone 1915s come out). How do they fit? how were the measurements? they look really dark and the denim looks real interesting. thanks for posting the pics.

Those 1917's are awesome. I bought some two weeks ago from Aeroleather. My waist is 34, but I got Will from aero to measure a pair in my size - I ended up with a 32 waist, which measures 35! Luckily they will be perfect after the initial tub soak and 1st wash. The rise is really high but the fit is great, and the quality is fantastic! (The book is a bonus too)

If anyones interested here are some detailed shots of the 1917s I jsut got from Dejan. I ordered them on Monday and they came this AM.

IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6877.jpg

IMG_6880.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6854.jpg

IMG_6886.jpg

It also came with a bag and a book in a bag...

IMG_6862.jpg

IMG_6863.jpg

IMG_6867.jpg

Airfrog, I have these, great jeans. Also loving your 1880 knappave fit-pics (SOo many jeans to break in..so little time). Two questions: Why are your photos so superb, and 2: How do you upload them onto this site? I've tried photobucket, but just end up with a box with a red 'x' in it !

Does anyone know more about these upcoming 1915 cone jeans? There is a marked difference between the 1901's and the 1917's, but what (if any) differences will there be between jeans originally made two years apart?

Are you using the IMG code from photobucket?

Once you've uploaded you photos, and they're vistible on photobucket, simply copy and paste the code in that 'Image code' box, the 4th one down, and bob's yer uncle.

Here's a photo of Jane Birkin, just to make sure it works...

nelson.jpg

Does anyone know more about these upcoming 1915 cone jeans? There is a marked difference between the 1901's and the 1917's, but what (if any) differences will there be between jeans originally made two years apart?

my guess is the only difference will be the cone denim. they are meant to be the first jeans using cone denim right?

X-post from the jean jacket thread,my LVC Japan Wartime Type I. Note the lack of a pocket flap, and laurel wreath buttons.

DSCN1839.jpg

DSCN1850.jpg

DSCN1841.jpg

DSCN1843.jpg

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1853.jpg

Many Thanks Paul. Ok, here goes... some of my Levis collection, which has taken me about ten years to accumulate.

The duck family...

008.jpg

Comparison of colours from the1873 duck pant and the 1901 duck pant...

011.jpg

1929 213 jacket (one wash) 822 stamp...

026.jpg

I will have to re-do some of the other pics again. Sorry, I'm new to this photobucket malarky..

Are you using the IMG code from photobucket?

Once you've uploaded you photos, and they're vistible on photobucket, simply copy and paste the code in that 'Image code' box, the 4th one down, and bob's yer uncle.

Here's a photo of Jane Birkin, just to make sure it works...

nelson.jpg

Many thanks Paul, and of course... thank you Jane (Grrr...)

I have that 213 denim jacket as well. I bought it on ebay, new, for $9.99. I think the seller had it listed wrong. I have not soaked it, but right now it fits about right and I wouldn't like it to shrink too much. What is the shrinkage you saw. One full size down as usual?

The 1915s will be made with cone and are called cone mills colaberation.

Airfrog, I have these, great jeans. Also loving your 1880 knappave fit-pics (SOo many jeans to break in..so little time). Two questions: Why are your photos so superb, and 2: How do you upload them onto this site? I've tried photobucket, but just end up with a box with a red 'x' in it !

Thanks Dr H looks like you have it squared away. Killer collection..

My current line up is

1886 501

1905 209 coveralls

1911 333s

1917 501

1927 501

1920 201s (555)

1933 501s (555)

1937 501

1937 201 (555)

1947 501

1955 501