Levi's Vintage Clothing

Speaking of different LVC manufacturing plants, has anyone ever put together a timeline for LVC production details?

It starts in, what, the mid-90s with Levi's Japan offering Japanese made items, presumably from Japanese made denim, then Levi's America started producing a few repro items, some at Valencia street but a noticeable number from Italy.

I'd be curious to see when the differing US plants came into operation- San Antonio and Tailor Toggs (sp?), and how the changeover to specially developed Cone denims happened. Also when the outsourcing to Turkey, Tunisia, etc. happened.

And now I hear the US made LVC happens in LA somewhere...

Im looking to buy a pair of 1967 505s (Pitchfork 2) in a 32w x 34L would these fit if im a 30W? or should I size up to a 34W. im looking for a relaxed fit in these. OR should I just opt for a 1947?

thanks

Im looking to buy a pair of 1967 505s (Pitchfork 2) in a 32w x 34L would these fit if im a 30W? or should I size up to a 34W. im looking for a relaxed fit in these. OR should I just opt for a 1947?

thanks

They would fit just a tad relaxed. If you go for 34W they'll be hugely oversize and not looking ok. Mind you, 505's are not meant to be worn 'relaxed', neither are 47's. If you're looking for relaxed, go for a '55.

The blue black jacket came today:

dsci0640.jpg

Real trim, but it fits perfect in the shoulder and the arms. Pretty short in the back!

dsci0641c.jpg

I'm surprised thatthe old Talon zipper is sewed on on the right side, true, Roy6 and PaulT.?

Yeah, it's a nice, slim jacket. Unfortunately no tag (except the Levis tag), the seller told me it's a sales sample. The lining is broken so it needs a repair job. Looks like it's VERY old :-)

The blue black jacket came today:

Real trim, but it fits perfect in the shoulder and the arms. Pretty short in the back!

I'm surprised thatthe old Talon zipper is sewed on on the right side, true, Roy6 and PaulT.?

Yeah, it's a nice, slim jacket. Unfortunately no tag (except the Levis tag), the seller told me it's a sales sample. The lining is broken so it needs a repair job. Looks like it's VERY old :-)

nice pickup Dr ; )

Thanks. Well, I'm still thinking if I keep it. The seller told me it's new but it smells like nicotine (I'm a smoker but I hate that ;-)...I've talked to aeroleathers, they can do a new lining for 80 GBP. Any idea how to clean the jacket to get rid of the smell? What do you guys suggest for aftercare, is boot oil okay? I'm not sure what kind of leather they've used. Any help is greatly appreciated! Cool jacket anyway, I guess it's perfect with a higher rised, worn in jean and a simple white tee in spring...

IS it a medium? I wonder if they'd give any discount for two at once, it would surely save a heap of time.

Mmm, nicotine smell, most people say to seal in a bag with bicarb of soda (or coffee).

Yes, it's a medium. I guess I put them in the freezer one day and night, after that I clean the jacket with a sponge and a mix of light detergent, water and vinegar. After that drying on an airy palce, that should do the job. But I'm not sure if I can oil them after that, it's horsehide, right?

If you want to I can ask if they give us a discount for relining both jackets at once!

Thanks. Well, I'm still thinking if I keep it. The seller told me it's new but it smells like nicotine (I'm a smoker but I hate that ;-)...I've talked to aeroleathers, they can do a new lining for 80 GBP. Any idea how to clean the jacket to get rid of the smell? What do you guys suggest for aftercare, is boot oil okay? I'm not sure what kind of leather they've used. Any help is greatly appreciated! Cool jacket anyway, I guess it's perfect with a higher rised, worn in jean and a simple white tee in spring...

Paul is right. Coffee is the way to go. If you want to, take some coffee beans in socks - put them in the arms and a larger sack for the torso. Then box up the jacket with the coffee in it for a day or two. It should get the odor eventually. Just hanging the jacket outside would work, but this isn't the best season for that...

When I got my 'Blue-black' it had been treated with Picard's by it's previous owner. It was seriously greasy and the color had darkened to almost pure black. I soaked it in a warm bath with a bit of woolite for an hour, with a little mild hand agitation. After it air-dried I gave it a coat of Leatherique, which Aero recommends.

Turned out great, no shrinkage that I saw, leather quality seemed unchanged, maybe a bit stiffer before it was treated and worn for a while. That would get rid of the smell, I'll bet. I've never found anything but an actual wash to really get rid of cigarette smell.

Yes, it's very cropped in sleeve and length- I sized up to a Large and am happy with it. My zipper is on the right too.

My lining is also torn- wonder what's up with that. I thought the black (rayon?) lining was an Aero standard, but I've never heard of this problem with any of their other jackets.

The leather is Buffalo hide, which I think Aero no longer uses, which to me makes this jacket even more of a rarity.

^^remember Aero made those to Levi's standards... not theirs. LVC wanted a well made jacket but not a super "Aero" well made jacket, otherwise the costs would be too much even for them.

and anyone notice this new Levi's campaign on using less water... turns out we all are using no water since we wear them raw...

and anyone notice this new Levi's campaign on using less water... turns out we all are using no water since we wear them raw...

I was giving some Levi's employees a hard time about this last week, it's painted all over the windows of the huge Levi's flagship in SF.

I asked them why if they're trying to save water that almost every single item in the store is rinsed before being sent to retail.

was talking to my gf about this - turns out we're all helping the environment by buying raw jeans and not washing that often. So you know, feel good about that.

I suspect this is a Paul T question, but, where were the LVC 505's made in the USA? I just dug out a pair of 1967 505's I purchased from Cultizm in May of 2008 (yes, I'm a nerd and I looked at my account history to verify). They were some $30 cheaper than the current ones, and made in the US. I think they were from 2007, but I am not 100%. Other than country of origin US vs Turkey, any differences?

What a novel idea, right? ;-) No wash or treaments at the factory, just let the customer actually wash and wear them in....

Someone posted a video a few days of the waterless process. You couldn't see the finished product very clearly afterwards, but to me it didn't look like the end result was worth the effort.

I have a couple vintage Levis shirts that I'm trying to get some more information on... approx. age, value, ubiquity, etc.

Here's some pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wrongfulwright/sets/72157625823700213/detail/

The first has a white label that I haven't come across, as well as a blank, white tab (save for the ® on both sides). This particular shirt has enormous collars, if that's of any help. Also, the care tag has tons of info, but none of which I was able to use in researching.

The second shirt features a blue label that I've seen before, and have been told was used in the 60's-70's. Also, it's a small e LeVIS white tab.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'd love to know what era these are from, as well as if they're worth anything.

Cheers,

// ian wright

I think both those shirts are mid 70s.

The blank tab was introduced for trademark reasons in 1971 - one in a hundred or so would be left blank so Levi's could trademark the red tab device, itself, rather than the red tab with writing on.

The little e version dates from much the same period.

Sorry I don't know more about these shirts, nice items even if they're not worth a fortune.

I suspect this is a Paul T question, but, where were the LVC 505's made in the USA? I just dug out a pair of 1967 505's I purchased from Cultizm in May of 2008 (yes, I'm a nerd and I looked at my account history to verify). They were some $30 cheaper than the current ones, and made in the US. I think they were from 2007, but I am not 100%. Other than country of origin US vs Turkey, any differences?

Yup, before Taylor Togs closed, I think all the 505 were made in the US. After that, they had to cast about a bit more, and started producing more dry items in Turkey.

Yup, before Taylor Togs closed, I think all the 505 were made in the US. After that, they had to cast about a bit more, and started producing more dry items in Turkey.

Thanks Paul - you know the drill, "Must spread rep before....". It's pretty cool these were some of the last from the Taylor Togs operation.

Not so very happy with my LVC type I jacket. The fabric is kindof flimsy, isnt it? Whats the weight of it anyway?

Probably 12 oz, lightweight by today's standards, but that's just the way it was back then. And it may seem flimsy, but it's actualy quite strong.