Levi's Vintage Clothing

i need some advise on the sizing of 1920 201. I know that they come 1" down from tagged size. I don't want my next pair to be extremely baggy again. Anyone able to help out? Would appreciate it.

My '07 36s measure 38 with the waist pulled level. I have'nt soaked or washed them, so I don't know what they'll do. From what I understand, they don't change much.

Having lived about an hour from Columbus, I concur, there are hills, albeit small hills, but hills in Ohio.

Very pretty country. And good looking pants to boot.

i need some advise on the sizing of 1920 201. I know that they come 1" down from tagged size. I don't want my next pair to be extremely baggy again. Anyone able to help out? Would appreciate it.

Measure the waist size, and buy your actual waist, ie allow for no shrinkage whatsoever in the waist. It will still be generously sized around the thighs etc. There are wear shots on the 201 thread.

It seems like it would be a no brainer to produce LVC jeans made of Cone denim in the states, seeing as how taylor togs is in north carolina as well?

Measure the waist size, and buy your actual waist, ie allow for no shrinkage whatsoever in the waist. It will still be generously sized around the thighs etc. There are wear shots on the 201 thread.

Good advice, my 201's from '07 (tagged 34/34) measured 35.5/34, but after a soak and a 40c wash they now measure 35 (and they will stetch back out after wear)

It seems like it would be a no brainer to produce LVC jeans made of Cone denim in the states, seeing as how taylor togs is in north carolina as well?

Wot?

THey do. All the jeans made of Cone raw are sewn in the US AFAIK. Sadly, Taylor Togs is long gone - I heard the cost of health insurance finished them.

Was Taylor Togs the rag & bone manufacturer? Their early stuff was actually really well done. A new plant would explain the drop in quality.

Ah, somehow I never knew big E type 3s were sanforized. The vintage ones I've owned have fit quite a bit smaller than sized.

Edit - looks like r&b started with production in Kentucky, then moved to TT, then ostensibly moved somewhere else.

Yes, Taylor Togs did Rag and Bone and a couple other US marks. Their loss was a pretty devastating one, as they'd been a flagship for US manufacture. I think BiG bought a number of their Union Specials.

And yes, the Type was was Sanforized from its launch, maybe 30 years after Lee popularized Sanforized jackets!

Open letter to Levis Strauss

As with many forums there are some commercial interests mingled with those of the aficionados, so I am writing this open letter to Levis Strauss or its agents here.

Levis is a brand we all admire. I have worn your products for over half a century. If I am writing this note it is out of fondness, a nudge from an old friend.

The LVC brand has set as one of its objectives the reproduction of Levis styles of the past. It is a great idea as men of all physiques can find something that fits them well from among the various cuts and styles. But looking towards the future, for a way to sustain and grow the LVC brand, it may be time to think about creating jeans with different qualities of denim, qualities that are not reproductions of the originals.

The market for exact reproductions is a small one, a niche restricted to denim antiquarians and collectors, many of whom participate on this and other forums and blogs. But the greater market is that being pioneered by the Japanese, making traditional styles with different qualities of cloth including heavyweight denim.

Traditional mid-weight denim is insufficient protection in climates where extreme temperatures exist and were men must give up wearing jeans and switch to heavyweight wool or corduroy trousers during the Fall and Winter months. And men who engage in active sports like hunting, fishing, motorcycle riding, boating, flying, hiking, and camping in cold weather must leave their jeans in the closet for other warmer and more rugged clothing. In fact, in many places in the world the climate allows wearing 12-14 ozs cloth for only a few months (weeks) a year, this denim being either too warm in Summer or lacking insulation in Winter.

As an example, the Japanese are producing jeans from 15-30 ozs denim. This trend towards heavy, durable cloth makes sense at many levels: comfort, aesthetics and economics. We have discussed the enhanced comfort of heavy cloth in cold weather climates (not San Francisco), but there is also an argument that heavy cloth drapes better, takes on a deeper patina (fade) and therefore is more aesthetically pleasing. And heavyweight cloth lasts longer, an important economic advantage in this time of crisis.

The other market opportunity would be lightweight, summer weight denim made from very high twist cotton cloth to be worn in warmer climates, something in the 9-10.5 ozs range.

So I think I am not alone in encouraging Levis Strauss to experiment with new qualities of denim (heavier and lighter) for their LVC brand, keeping as a standard, the traditional cuts and styles that are the envy of the world.

And then there are those of us out there looking for an authentic pair of repros and denim texture and weight are all part of the equation for us. Sure experiment away Levis but don't put in the LVC brand and keep trying to get the details right on the right on whats being produced today. The denim on the 15s is a real step in the right direction now get the pockets, the suspender button spacing and the pockets right and your there. They've always done a killer job on the 55s.

and now a 55 update...

I really, really like these jeans. The only thing is, I think I need the next smaller size. The denim is really fantastic on these... I'd hate to wash them...

DSC05534.jpg

DSC05538.jpg

DSC05535.jpg

Look for any post by Paul T. and click through his tag-- he lays out the best method of sizing (besides trying them on, of course).

Anyone read the WSJ article on cleaning jeans? They interviewed Carl Chiara, but the really interesting stuff is in the comments. Hilarious exchange between a vet and ER MD.

I agree with keeping them out of water as much as possible especially in the first 6 months.

hi everyone.

don't mean to break the chain on discussion about sales and lvd47.

being new to lvc and quality denim, i've some questions. atm, i'm only at page 910 of this lvc, but i thought i forward my query.

some pages before page 910, someone mentioned about 1937 201xx being a fictitious model, despite being made at valencia street.

may i know what makes it fictitious? isn't 37 the first model with hidden rivets and san-suspender/buttons?

what are the differences between the regular 1937s and the 201xx? what's the story behind the creation of 201xx?

(i just scored a pair of 201xx from ebay, the denim feels thicker than '09/47 and '15, i'll use it for my bmx dirt-riding.)

cheers!

hi everyone.

don't mean to break the chain on discussion about sales and lvd47.

being new to lvc and quality denim, i've some questions. atm, i'm only at page 910 of this lvc, but i thought i forward my query.

some pages before page 910, someone mentioned about 1937 201xx being a fictitious model, despite being made at valencia street.

may i know what makes it fictitious? isn't 37 the first model with hidden rivets and san-suspender/buttons?

what are the differences between the regular 1937s and the 201xx? what's the story behind the creation of 201xx?

(i just scored a pair of 201xx from ebay, the denim feels thicker than '09/47 and '15, i'll use it for my bmx dirt-riding.)

cheers!

The 201 was a budget model - look at the 201 thread , or the 501 visual guide thread for more info. It had different, unspecified, often greener denim, and, among other differences, a linen patch.

That fictitious 1937 201 is really a decent repro of a 1937 501, complete with leatherpatch, etc.