Levi's Vintage Clothing

Sounds like more 333s for the future and thanks for info on the 333s denim.

Oh Allen, I forgot to mention, they apparently have two (or was it three? It was late) 333 examples in the archives.

It appears these were a total labour of love - commercial madness really when you think of the number sold, but amazing nonetheless.

I spoke to Maurizio, the big boss at some lenght. I told him they had to get their sizing consistent, as they're pissing off customers and retailers. I didn't mention the cinches, but I have mentioned this to one of the deisgn team previously.

thanks a bunch for the pictures and the great information.

what'd Maurizio say about the sizing issues? did he have any insight as to why it has been like this?

Like everyone else, I hope the price hike isn't too high. I've always felt that LVC's prices were one of their strong points. They're expensive, but not that outrageous. And you get some great denim for the price you pay.

if they get too expensive they're gonna find themselves trying to compete with the likes of Sugar Cane and other repro companies; something I don't think they're currently prepared to do.

I feel like if the prices go up a bunch there better be some serious improvements.

- accurate back pocket shapes on early models

- cinches that actually work

- 100% cotton thread

- consistent sizing through ALL models

- hand hammered rivets when necessary

- accurate arcuate design ( I really don't think the 1915s arcs should look the way they do)

I'm guessing they'd look more like this dp565-10.jpg

if not, the farther they go into the 200USD+ category, the less I'll be interested in LVC and the more I'll be interested in buying sugar canes.

I understand that LVC is a labor of love and it doesn't make any money, but if they're gonna raise the prices there better be some improvements.

Yup.

I don't think Maurizio truly grasped the sizing issue, I didn't push it as, to be hones,t he has a big task ahead of him. There are other people who realise this issue is crucial - I know that the Cinch staff are aware of both this and the buckle issue.

I'm with you also, in general I find the new 'long' back pocket shapes unacceptable. The thread I don't think will change.

i'd like to buy some of the lvc 1947's on sale on the levi's site right now. i have a warehouse 800 in 30 that i really like the fit on and i'm trying to decide between 30 and 31 for the 1947's. has anyone confirmed that the 1947's sold on the levi's site right now are the post-2009-sized ones?

Yes I think those are the latest versions which look really good to me. I had the (what was it 05 with the wrong arcuate) and I still have a pair of 555s 20s 201s and these look a good deal like the 55s when the were raw. I think Paul said the denim and details were real close on those latest one and the 555s. I haven't seen the latest ones in person so I really can't say but I think Paul has or had both.

i had a look through the thread for some 44 fit pic's and couldnt realy find many, could someone mabie link some that they know of ,thanks for any help . Ive been stuck between a japanese repro or the lvc's and still dont know what to go for

Looking great, erk. Can't rep, gotta spread. Looks like a lovely, clear day for you.

For the record, 55 501, fit pics. THese are 32 waist, my actual size.501bestbutt.jpg55front.jpg55myarse.jpg

These are the old production, made correct size. I could have even down-sized one inch, for a semi-skinny fit, and they wouldnt' have been too tight around the ol' crotch.

i had a look through the thread for some 44 fit pic's and couldnt realy find many, could someone mabie link some that they know of ,thanks for any help . Ive been stuck between a japanese repro or the lvc's and still dont know what to go for

4339143242_47c9df517f.jpg

I don't have any fit pics of these '44s, and no longer have them, but maybe you can tell something about the fit from these pictures.

For what its worth, they were probably the most comfortable of any LVC jeans I've had, but I never cared much for the way they looked. I liked the high rise, but the crotch and ass were always super baggy on me while the legs had a much closer fit. The waist was my actual size, so I probably would have liked these better if I had downsized some and stretched the waist out, though I guess then the legs would have been kind of tight.

Great progress on the '15's Erk, interesting too how the denim texture on your '37 in detail shot looks identical to my "555" version -- quality stuff.

The fit looks perfect and very sharp there PaulT, especially up against those ordinary jeans in last foto..it's amazing how much they stand out, that's one of the things I like about LVC they make an impression. I dig that leather bomber jacket too....

dsc05820.jpg

lvc 44 true to size

thanks everyone for the compliments. paul, those 55s look awesome. my denim neurosis has already got me thinking about my next LVC (which won't be for a very long time). I was pretty set on the 1944...now the 55 might be my choice.

@ electrum - I've always loved the denim on the 37s. post wash it became a really true blue. the bluest I've owned. the texture is great. really streaky with some great vertical falling. I tried to capture the vertical falling but it didn't really come out as extreme as it really is. I can't wait to see the '15s get to this point.

and to the guy lookin for the 1944 fit pics. I just looked up LVC 1944 in google images and found this...

http://www.mynudies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4221

and shorty long's awesome pair -

L1020815.jpg

by the way...

when the heck is LVC gonna do another type II jacket? it is by far my favorite and I've only seen japanese versions. One would think it'd be the perfect jacket to repro. it's not too out there (single pocket and cinch on type 1) it has two pockets and pleating - a perfect combination if you ask me. the type III is great too, but the type III hasn't really made much of a transformation since it's introduction. the only changes that have been made, near as I can tell, are the hand warmer pockets, type of denim, and maybe a longer torso.

and yes paul, it was a great day outside. still pretty chilly, around 35degreesF. I didn't want anyone in my apartment complex seeing what I was doing so I packed up my 1937s and 1915s and rode out to this weird secluded area next to a cemetery. I don't really feel like having to explain my neurosis to other people, I'm sure they think I'm strange enough already.

but it made for a great bike ride in the wonderful weather.

Is anyone getting more than 3" inseam shrinkage on recent production LVC? I don't want to cuff my new 55s, so I'm going to need to loose another inch via hemming or shrinking. They lost 3" on their initial trip through the washing machine. Give 'em another wash and if there's no more measureable shrinkage, go ahead and have 'em hemmed?

i'd like to buy some of the lvc 1947's on sale on the levi's site right now. i have a warehouse 800 in 30 that i really like the fit on and i'm trying to decide between 30 and 31 for the 1947's. has anyone confirmed that the 1947's sold on the levi's site right now are the post-2009-sized ones?

I can't confirm, but I would guess these are the very last of the leftovers from a couple years back. I have a pair from 2007 (I think) and they were about 2 inches narrower than the stated size.

I had a request for clearer fit pics (ahem...sorry) and some closeups of the LVC Japan '33s I posted here recently. Here are better (hopefully) fit pics and some detail shots.

I gather from listening to the conversation here that LVC USA/Europe used to use primarily Japanese manufacture denim, but now has switched to mostly Cone denim. Do I have that right? Reason I ask- the denim on these '33s is really nice- very dark, almost black, and very, very fuzzy (look at the closeup of the denim). I was wondering if the US made '33s have the same denim, and if so, where it was produced.

Anyone know?

4341939576_3dba0cf493_o.jpg

4341198957_2e5f15ceeb_o.jpg

4341199013_c75e00878e_o.jpg

4341939744_a5c8cde762_o.jpg

4341939794_5803dfecec_o.jpg

4341939856_1905fb3c90_o.jpg

i know i am a bit late , but paul thos pics from the cinch night are amazing. thanks so much. seeing all those guys is really nice, i even have the blue note book, funny, so no wonder he is an old mod, how cool is that.

the cotton duck stuff looks amazing, did you see the duck pants too ?

when are there going to be some official pics of the hole range?

I had a request for clearer fit pics (ahem...sorry) and some closeups of the LVC Japan '33s I posted here recently. Here are better (hopefully) fit pics and some detail shots.

I gather from listening to the conversation here that LVC USA/Europe used to use primarily Japanese manufacture denim, but now has switched to mostly Cone denim. Do I have that right? Reason I ask- the denim on these '33s is really nice- very dark, almost black, and very, very fuzzy (look at the closeup of the denim). I was wondering if the US made '33s have the same denim, and if so, where it was produced.

Anyone know?

if your pair is from LVC japan then they used japanese fabric.

the EU and US LVC have always used Cone denim when appropriate. Cone started making denim for Levi's in 1915, in 1927 Cone became Levi's exclusive supplier of denim. so, 1927-1983 are all made by cone. the 1915 is made by cone, but the 1917 is from japan.

for pre 1927 jeans LVC EU and US used denim from Kaihara. I'm guessing this is supposed to be the alternative to the original supplier, amoskeag, who no-longer exist.

the change that occurred is that cone will now be supplying all denim for LVC. 1870-1983.

I don't know if that applies to sanforized models like the 1967 505.