Levi's Vintage Clothing

Chuck O - the whole work wear craze scene as a fad IMO sucks I would hate to see it become mainstream like the whole ed hardy/true religion crap. The flip side to that is I see folks as well on SUFU who come off as walking billboards for Mister Freedom, Iron Heart, et al. Seems some folks have lost the notion of moderation. It's either one extreme or the other. Of all the folks I've seen who genuinely represent the classic spirit of how to wear workwear is Cheep and Bill. These guys have an understanding of how to present classic work wear without going overboard. What made Steve McQueen cool is his ability to sport classic work wear / denim effortlessly. I realize a lot of us here want to stay true to the spirit of classic Americana but it kinda turns my stomach when I see folks wear the denim, workshirt, boots, wallets, all brand new just to pose. I say wear the damn thing to death and don't worry about how to get the right fade, honeycombs blah blah. Folks who wore these items back in the day just wore the and they got the results because they just wore the for utility period.

Back in McQueens day and really up until the late 80's or 90's the McQueen style was the NORM! I'm 45 and growing up that was mainstream and people like McQueen or Newman were just wearing what was cool. There was the rich squares who would have been down on denim and then the vast majority who wore clothes just like those guys. Then in the 90's I guess as we got fatter and lazier style got pushed out of the way for comfort and now everything is fitted for blobs.

I have to admit, after almost two years of lurking (before I registered) I still don't understand some of the more costumey aspects of the sufu mode workwear style. Not judging anyone, just professing my ignorance as to the motivations and appeal of it.

By the same token, I probably appear to the man on the street as though I'm affecting a costume when I go out in 875s, 47s, and a Pendleton shirt. It's all degree and perspective I guess.

EDIT: Completely agree with everything RRL posted while I was writing my post.

Yup I agree. I'm a 45 year old dad in a rich Connecticut town and I can tell other Dad's don't know why exactly but think there's a little something off about me. "Why isn't he wearing overly faded LL Bean jeans and a Polo button down shirt and these weird laceless sneaker like things like the rest of us?" and all I'm doing is walking around in 47's, a J Crew flannel shirt and PF Flyers.

we all wear costumes... from the business suit to work to the ball jersey to a game....

It's what you're comfortable wearing that matters.

If you worry about what people think, then don't wear it, you're not ready.

if you wear it cause you like it and don't give a damn what "other" people think, then you're ready.

if you wear it to get people to look at or notice you... then you are wearing a costume.

Sort of. A newsboy in 1937 was dressed in the style of the day which WAS authentic whereas somebody emulating that style today is in fact dressing up. Nothing wrong with that but that's what it is dressing up.

I think most people past their mid-twenties couldn't be so cavalier and\or high minded about disregarding the opinion of others. I struggle with it and tend to err on the conservative side because I have kids and have to think about how it effects them.

just came back from watching fritz langs "metropolis" open air at brandburg gate, i wore my red wing boots, s501xx a long double breasted herringbone coat and a newsboy cap... along with smoking my pipe, i need to because it was damn cold... i think nobodys was looking at me like i was wearing a costum and i don´t give a f*** i have been addicted of 1890-1940s fashion since i first saw "once upon a time in america" imo my favorite gangster movie, i´m 31 and it´s at least 15 years ago... so no one should judge me being not authentic etc...

Still waiting for those paper disposable jumpsuits to replace all clothing....

My take on this is that in 10 years everyone will be wearing Snuggies. It will look like some holy order of futuristic monks.

I know we're all derailing the LVC thread here, but this whole conversation is interesting as hell. Love to have a beer with you guys and shoot the shit, lol.

just came back from watching fritz langs "metropolis" open air at brandburg gate, i wore my red wing boots, s501xx a long double breasted herringbone coat and a newsboy cap... along with smoking my pipe, i need to because it was damn cold... i think nobodys was looking at me like i was wearing a costum and i don´t give a f*** i have been addicted of 1890-1940s fashion since i first saw "once upon a time in america" imo my favorite gangster movie, i´m 31 and it´s at least 15 years ago... so no one should judge me being not authentic etc...

What's the Americana scene like in Berlin? Is it rare to see other people with similar taste?

My take on this is that in 10 years everyone will be wearing Snuggies. It will look like some holy order of futuristic monks.

I know we're all derailing the LVC thread here, but this whole conversation is interesting as hell. Love to have a beer with you guys and shoot the shit, lol.

Every six months or so I hijack the thread with something controversial. I think last time was last summer I threw out my theory of what Levis should have done back in the 80's instead of battling JC Penney and the like in a race to the bottom they should have went up market and become a premium brand. That went pretty well and was an interesting discussion. It's one of the things I love about this thread the folks in here are pretty thoughtful and aren't thin skinned.

Also, many of the die hards in this thread are "old-timers" so you don't get the petty name calling and bickering.

I just think this shit is pretty timeless. I don't think that in 10 years I'm ever going to look back on a picture of myself wearing boots, jeans, and a Buzz Rickson chambray and think "Man, what the fuck was I thinking?" It's unobtrusive and simple. I dig it.

Boots, jeans and Buzz Rickson are timeless. But think about the dudes decked out head to toe with MFSC. I think some of them (I said some) will look back and say, "What the fuck was I doing." Especially when the debt collectors are knocking on their door.

in ten years some of us will be a bunch of old tossers sitting in front of the monitor searching the internet for orthopedic insoles.

But we'll look damn good in our LVC's that have 10 years of fades on them!

in ten years some of us will be a bunch of old tossers sitting in front of the monitor searching the internet for orthopedic insoles.

Only 10 years?

In any case, by that time Redwing may understand their customer demographic and produce them as standard.

@ChuckO, you can see many new shops comin around that sell raw denim jeans, on of the best is 14oz by the way... also there has opened a red wing shop... there is demand on that and you can see many guys wearing newboy caps and fedora, but i don´t think it´s an americana thing, people just like the time between 1918 and 1933, there sepcial parties whith a strict dresscode where you can feel like beein on gangsters movie and so on... you know there was a lot goin on in the roaring 20s in berlin, i was told ;)

hilarious!

what we need then is Redwing/Birkenstock collabo.

Earlier I posted photos of my neighbour Graham Marsh (they didn't do him justice, I'll post again next time we wander somewhere together). He has a bus pass - literally, he gets free travel as a pensioner.

Meantime, all the 40something women are going "ohh... he's cool..." so much it starts to bug you. The other day it was snowing, and he was wearing an authentic Navy peacoat, downsized with a silk scarf. Cool. So age has nothing to do with it.

You can't buy style by simply kitting yourself out in a bunch of gear you bought a couple months ago.

I think almostnice will be a cool pensioner too - sipping on an oktoberfest and shouting at the TV, with a half-dismantled motorbike or other machinery in his back garden.

in this case a classic Vespa or Lambretta please.

You need to meet my mate Gerald. He deals in obscure things on eBay (skateboard, scooter parts, 60s coffee machines) and cuts hair. for many years he did it either in a psychedelic-painted ambulance, or would arrive at your house on a scooter.

I think his pride and joy is a Li150, series 1 - late 50s IIRC, in a sandy beige kinda finish, with those lovely big tractor-style seats.

Edit : Great shots eletrum, good to see they're keeping the quality up on these. Did you get actual size?

Boots, jeans and Buzz Rickson are timeless. But think about the dudes decked out head to toe with MFSC. I think some of them (I said some) will look back and say, "What the fuck was I doing." Especially when the debt collectors are knocking on their door.

There seems to be a certain kind of guy that you find in every country practically that will go through life in jeans, work boots or sneakers and a flight jacket in his free time. That's what I love about the workwear thing is that there are people making quality versions of that stuff.

I can almost cry thinking about the time I went to buy a new pair of Dr Martens and found they had moved manufacture to China. I got them home and they squeaked and they fit all wrong. Man that was heartbreaking.

@ChuckO, you can see many new shops comin around that sell raw denim jeans, on of the best is 14oz by the way... also there has opened a red wing shop... there is demand on that and you can see many guys wearing newboy caps and fedora, but i don´t think it´s an americana thing, people just like the time between 1918 and 1933, there sepcial parties whith a strict dresscode where you can feel like beein on gangsters movie and so on... you know there was a lot goin on in the roaring 20s in berlin, i was told ;)

Interesting. I need to go listen to "Mack the Knife" and the "Alabama song(whisky bar)" now.

I can almost cry thinking about the time I went to buy a new pair of Dr Martens and found they had moved manufacture to China. I got them home and they squeaked and they fit all wrong. Man that was heartbreaking.

Sadly, that isn't unusual. But I believe you can still get UK-made Docs for a slight price premium.

One of the real upsides of this board is the focus on original companies; I would buy my boots from various places, but over the last few years have realised people like Tricker's still make shoes in Northampton, and are going thru something of a revival. SO even while some people's recent "workwear makeovers" might be a bit extreme, on the upside they are buying decent clothing, made by people who care about and stand by their product (whether in the US, UK or Japan).

by the way there are some nice pics from cinch on the continous lean page. not as nice as pauls but still, here is the link

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/02/10/shopping-london-cinch/#more-13905

and oki ni has some pics of the duck cotton closed fron jumper ( the color is so beautiful)

http://www.oki-ni.com/Brands/Levis-Vintage-Clothing/icat/levis

and oki ni has some pics of the duck cotton closed fron jumper ( the color is so beautiful)

Oki-ni got a new model! Who doesn't look such a dork!

That jumper looks like I thought it would... far out. I rarely buy LVC new, normally I wait for sales, or asked for pairs when I did stuff for them. But I think that jumper might be the one. I think if you wear it when working your car, on the beach with sandals, getting trashed in the park, it would work.

I really do believe that its combination of crudity and attention to detail makes it a new high watermark in LVC.

by the way there are some nice pics from cinch on the continous lean page. not as nice as pauls but still, here is the link

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2010/02/10/shopping-london-cinch/#more-13905

There's an amazing old picture of an indian wearing some jeans with what looks like a striped union suit on that the continous lean page. It is super cool.

yes we all know the pics from pauls book, its great!

by the way here two more links from warehouse wich are levis related this time. hellers cafes baltimore khaki trousers, are as it seems a replica of the baltimore label owned by levis(1920)

http://ameblo.jp/wh-archives/image-10453697718-10405855628.html

http://ware-house.co.jp/index.php?page=item&ic=29329