Levi's Vintage Clothing

I have had 2 pairs of 55's. One was a 38x40 and the other is a 36 x 36. Now the 36 pair is a special pair that they "messed up" on, with about 3-4 inches extra in the leg. It has a 501 _________ long number but it's extra longer than what it says. Might want to look out for a pair of those...

"L36 is the length representation. It corresponds to about 81cm and washes."

I suppose what they might be saying is that the 36" inseam actually measures 34", then shrinks to 32". Was there a lot of 55's with short inseams?

If anybody's got a 55 in 30x36 (or 38, 40?) I'd be interested in hearing about it.

thats too generalized.from what i know the denim differs from every season.my 99 pair fades completely different to my 07 one.the only model that is known to fade really slow is the 44.well,that was common sense few years ago,not sure about later releases as i havent seen any real worn pairs lately.

Demonito, I'm a little confused on why you ordered a label size 36 if you needed a (post soak) size 33 ? I looked back to see if you mentioned why... like maybe it was recommended by others and/or in the 501 visual guide thread. I didn't go back and read the Visual Guide thread before posting this but I didn't think the '55 was ever undersized (could be wrong though). Generally 2" of shrinkage is the norm along with a quick restretch of atleast an inch. So to me a 34 seems like the first choice. But dang - man you were able to shrink those new '55s down 3.5" in the waist !, that's pretty much unheard of, so feel lucky about that - congrats. I just have to wonder how shrinking them that much intentionally (boiling them in a soak) affect the look of the denim...because if you think about it the weave has been made much tighter by that. Can you tell by looking at the denim compared to other jeans ? Will they retain indigo more, lose it at a faster rate, or will they wear different in general I wonder. It would be interesting to see how these age in comparison to other '55s of this vintage. BTW, I know your not the first to boil jeans but I've always wondered this and just never typed it out. Let us know how it goes.

i usually use the hottest water than any of the people here

i use boiling water ratio of 1 ( tap water ) = 2 ( boiling water i use a big kettle to boil and wait for it to whistle )

on all my jeans to shrink them

Ha! My guess is that these are circa 1981. They have the stcok control tab that came late, very fuzzy denim like the later selvage 501 - and I think these will be ring/oe fabric. I

Re fading on the 47... they don't fade more slowly, but because they're a looser weave, the fading isn't as visible until you've given them a couple of washes. THen you get variations from year to year, too.

I don't think I'm the only person watching out for a pair of 55's in a longer inseam...

http://en.item.rakuten.com/joenet/levi-vintage-55501-0017/

I've found those, but I'm not sure about them. The images suggest the inseams are 36", but the drop-down menu says 81cm (just under 32"). Which to believe?

The Rakuten sizing chart is not accurate in the least, I can tell you from several experiences. You're always best talking to someone on the phone and get them to hand measure (Aeroleather or Cultizm are recommended here).

Ha! My guess is that these are circa 1981. They have the stcok control tab that came late, very fuzzy denim like the later selvage 501 - and I think these will be ring/oe fabric. I

Re fading on the 47... they don't fade more slowly, but because they're a looser weave, the fading isn't as visible until you've given them a couple of washes. THen you get variations from year to year, too.

so I'm eying a pair of 47s from 07 or 06 . These will fade pretty slow? I want something with a quick fade because I'm already workin on KMWs which are slow as hell.

WTF, a $2200 jean jacket, who the hell wore it .. Woody Guthry maybe? A $600 mexican ring, (as cool as it it) ...really?

and it was indeed the jean jacket pre WWII

i know i know. i saw that shit, people drop a lot of money for things honestly, you never know. i also know someone who knows the owner and sold him wwII flight jackets from soldiers and he said the guy always raped

Thanks WGMDS for the link,

The lighter blue type one jacket is simply a 1930's 213, whereas interestingly the darker type one, with no pocket flap, is a WW2 213.

Somehow thought that Levis stopped production of the 201 jean and 213 jacket in 1942, but here is proof that the jacket at least was being made well into the 'wartime' era.

Just did the first soak on the 1915s just a hair short of 6 months. They look good. I will get some photos taken and posted in a few days. This denim is AWESOME.

I just picker up a pair of 1880 Knappaves on sale from Dejan and these are really nice (Thanks for the recommendation Dr H.) Will be breaking these in over the summer.

Just did the first soak on the 1915s just a hair short of 6 months. They look good. I will get some photos taken and posted in a few days. This denim is AWESOME.

I just picker up a pair of 1880 Knappaves on sale from Dejan and these are really nice (Thanks for the recommendation Dr H.) Will be breaking these in over the summer.

Thanks Airfrog,

Be good to see how that denim on the 15's fade, especially from your unique " wear-from-raw" technique.

Those 1880's are also awesome, especially as there are not many who have a pair in a daily wear state (may encourage me to dig mine out).

Especially love the early denim pockets.

Got too many on rotation for any real decent fading to occur on any (other than my 1930's lee's) Lvc model, so may have to sell my 27's or 551z's.

Plus, just bought a pair of 2007 201 repos from oki-ni for £60 !!

it's no wonder the wife left me (LOL)

so I'm eying a pair of 47s from 07 or 06 . These will fade pretty slow? I want something with a quick fade because I'm already workin on KMWs which are slow as hell.

yes, they will fade pretty slow. i have a pair of LVC 1947 that i got in Nov 06 and i've been wearing these for years, and numerous washes. over the years i mostly just do a lot of walking in them, and they've been fading quite slowly, especially compared to some japanese jeans. overall they fade more gradually, instead of severe or contrasty. however, i will say it is probably my favorite cut/fit. i wore them in my recent waywt if you want to see.