Levi's Vintage Clothing

s3lam nice looking 47s , have you worn them since raw, do they fit snug or loose and what about that leather patch.. looks a bit dry from the pics, no?

Here are some fit pics. Sorry for the first blurry pic.

They were raw (purchased in 2006) and were a tad too big after multiple soaks so I decided to use boiling water to shrink them down. It was kinda a stupid move as I ruined the leather patch but atleast the jeans shrunk to a pretty decent fit. Learned my lesson about boiling water and leather patches.

IMGP1938.jpg

IMGP1939.jpg

IMGP1940.jpg

Can any one fathom a guess what year Levis are worn here? I'm guessing since the movie came out in 1953, I'm assuming they are wearing the 1947 model? Judging from the fades, I would think they would have needed a few years for those fades.]

It's worth pointing out that for factors such as fits, the term 1947 model or 1954 model are meaningless. The shape did change over the years, but not necessarily at the point when the major signifiers - leather 2-horse patch, doublde-sided red tab - changed. SO even tho the BRMC guys wil have been wearing jeans with leather patch and single-sided tab, the shape might be a 50s one... if that makes sense. You can get clues, but it's almost impossible to deduce the change of fit from vintage models, unless you're comparing like with like. One thing I would love to know is whether LS&CO actually kept their old patterns from the 20s to the 60s... somehow I suspect they didn't.

I think it's safe to say that most if not all of the jeans from that Wild One photo are what we'd condsider a "1947 cut".

Anyone know why 1947 was chosen by Levis (Sugar Cane and others) as the year to describe post WWII to 1951/1952 501s?

I think it's safe to say that most if not all of the jeans from that Wild One photo are what we'd condsider a "1947 cut".

Anyone know why 1947 was chosen by Levis (Sugar Cane and others) as the year to describe post WWII to 1951/1952 501s?

LEvi's are suprisignly vague about when some features appear, perhaps becuase they didn't switch over instantaneously. They tend to choose the year after the change in detailing feautred in their jeans. For instnace, the red tag appeared in 1936 - so their model is dated the first full year it appeared, ie 1937. But what I was attempting to say above, probably not clearly, is that we don't necessarily know when the shape changed to the '1937' shape; I don't really think there's been a huge amount of research into this. Likewise, I would bet the arcuates re-appeared by 46, maybe even late 45. So 1947 is a conservative estimate of the first full year the jeans appeared with all those features. Now Sugar Cane and others have simply copied Levi's own names. You might notice that Evisu even call their own early jean the Nevada, after the Levi's name.

LEvi's are suprisignly vague about when some features appear, perhaps becuase they didn't switch over instantaneously. They tend to choose the year after the change in detailing feautred in their jeans. For instnace, the red tag appeared in 1936 - so their model is dated the first full year it appeared, ie 1937. But what I was attempting to say above, probably not clearly, is that we don't necessarily know when the shape changed to the '1937' shape; I don't really think there's been a huge amount of research into this. Likewise, I would bet the arcuates re-appeared by 46, maybe even late 45. So 1947 is a conservative estimate of the first full year the jeans appeared with all those features. Now Sugar Cane and others have simply copied Levi's own names. You might notice that Evisu even call their own early jean the Nevada, after the Levi's name.

Do you know, was there a transitional (1936) model with exposed rivets and a tab, or is that just myth?

I thought the 1937 501 was dated when they bought out the concealed back pocket rivets, not the tab?

Do you know, was there a transitional (1936) model with exposed rivets and a tab, or is that just myth?

I thought the 1937 501 was dated when they bought out the concealed back pocket rivets, not the tab?

where can i get '67 505's online (besides cultizm) or in nyc? looking for a size 38.

thanks!

I've got a pair of rinsed but unworn 36's I'd part with. They don't fit trim as I'd hope, so they are not ever worn.

where can i get '67 505's online (besides cultizm) or in nyc? looking for a size 38.

thanks!

I've got a pair of rinsed but unworn 36's I'd part with. They don't fit trim as I'd hope, so they are not ever worn.

thanks!

the j crew men's shop on broadway has them (they have LVC 505s i didn't see if they are '67)

thanks!

the j crew men's shop on broadway has them (they have LVC 505s i didn't see if they are '67)

They had multiple manufacturing sites, correct? If so it would make sense that back in the day it took time for the changes to roll out across sites and that some hybrid jeans were created while using up items (patches,thread,denim) in stock during initial change over. Probably some of the mistakes people find disappointing in LVC might be more authentic than they realize.

They had multiple manufacturing sites, correct? If so it would make sense that back in the day it took time for the changes to roll out across sites and that some hybrid jeans were created while using up items (patches,thread,denim) in stock during initial change over. Probably some of the mistakes people find disappointing in LVC might be more authentic than they realize.

I checked on this... apparently on LVC the fill thread is not bleached; I thought before it was, my bad. It just depends on the source of the cotton.

Dr.. on the transition model, I don't know. It's possible but my guess is they changed both at once. There was a big, modern-style marketing push fo the covered rivet jeans and I would guess they did add the tab at the same time.

I checked on this... apparently on LVC the fill thread is not bleached; I thought before it was, my bad. It just depends on the source of the cotton.

Dr.. on the transition model, I don't know. It's possible but my guess is they changed both at once. There was a big, modern-style marketing push fo the covered rivet jeans and I would guess they did add the tab at the same time.

has anyone noticed the fill threads on their 1915s are much more ecru than more modern pairs? It was one of the first things I noticed when I got em.

maybe they're unbleached or something?

Yes, I have been meaning to comment on that. The weft is much darker than on any other LVC I own. The closest is the Oldest Oldest, but even the selvage edge on those is distinctly whiter in comparison to the 1915.

has anyone noticed the fill threads on their 1915s are much more ecru than more modern pairs? It was one of the first things I noticed when I got em.

maybe they're unbleached or something?

Yes, I have been meaning to comment on that. The weft is much darker than on any other LVC I own. The closest is the Oldest Oldest, but even the selvage edge on those is distinctly whiter in comparison to the 1915.

Thanks paul,

Much talk over the years about the possibility, but I've never seen a model with exposed red-tab/rivets/suspender buttons, although I've seen a 1937 year model with suspender buttons (no..not the snap-on ones!)