Levi's Vintage Clothing

DougC, if you're referring to those 201 fakes I posted pics of awhile back when you say, "...this time to make your decision...", it was obvious those where in fact fakes even w/out the pic of the arcs. Hell, I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable LVC enthusiasts here and I pretty much knew there was something wrong with those, but was not certain and Paul's expertise confirmed my doubts. Paul T and many others here have covered my back on numerous occasions be it w/ fakes, sizing, LVC screw ups, etc. Like I said reassurances and warnings from the experts help newbies like me from getting burned.

I say to you - stop depending on others so much, do some research for yourself and try to make up your own mind. I mean my answer about the arches was tunge in cheek but wouldn't you just shit if you won the auction and they showed up with the wrong arches. It could happen, because mistakes jeans do leave the factory regardless of what these guys tell you (I have a pair that are missing some of the the rivets). But hell, Paul told you they'd be ok, right? On the other pair the pockets were a big part of what made them obvious fakes, according to some. But it wasn't even suggested that you varify the arches on this pair. The other pair lacked a picture or two IMHO and so do these. From what we're seeing they could both be fakes, both be legit, both be mistakes or simply the difference between a US version vs a Jap version. My money is on these newest ones you found to be legit, as I said. Good luck.

Yes, the 15 seem to be made two inches oversize, according to various measurements including erk's, so the 34 should be the equilvalent of yer normal 36.
Paul - many thanks. Actually ordered the 1915 in a w34 this morning so glad I did that. I was wondering re the 1917's compared to the 1927's?

Hey LFC4ever, just to be clear... there's a real good chance that those 1915s you ordered in w34's will actually measure w37 when they arrive. It may vary from jean to jean but the ones Erk bought were 3" bigger than tagged, not 2". See page 645 for his measurements.

edit: BTW, I just wanted to add - that Cultizm offers a w33 in the 1915 that would prob be closer to a true 36" waist, just FYI. One inch makes a significant bit of difference when your sizeing these things.

WHoops, there you go, sorry! I have 1915 on the brain. The 1917 do look good too, I know they are oversized but I'm not certain if they're as big as the 1915. The fabric on those is Kurabo and looks good, for my money nicer than the 1927, althou I haven't seen them worn in. In some respects these will be historically interesting, as they will be among the last LVC using Kurabo denim.

I have both the 15s and the 17s and my 15s are trimmer than the 17s and the denim on the 15s and I like the denim on the 15s more than the denim on the 17s. And both the 17s and the 15s are much nicer than the 127s.

A question about starching: I have done one cold soak on my 1937s but I am planning to do an additional hot soak since they are incredibly baggy, much baggier than my 1933s and 1915s. I am planning to throw some starch into the soak since the denim is sort of limp and I seem to remember that Paul T has suggested this. Has anyone starched a pair of 37s? Any advice? Right now these are my least favorite pair of LVC. But Erk's pair look good, so I am hopeful that with a little work they will turn out well.

I just did my second soak after my first initial soak on the 37's today and the denim is still a bit "flimsy"...I've never been one to starch my jeans, and don't plan to for these but to each his own! The looser fit did take some time to get used to, but they have really earned a place in my heart after a few hours of wear/looking in the mirror lol

I am planning to throw some starch into the soak since the denim is sort of limp and I seem to remember that Paul T has suggested this. Has anyone starched a pair of 37s? Any advice?

I pour starch (from a bottle) into the final soak everytime I soak and/or wash my jeans. Advice?..... don't spray starch a pair of dry jeans and iron them ! I think maybe that's what aho thought you were talking about. You want to add starch to the final soak, pour in a liberal amount - then squeez out (or spin) excess water then hang them outside to dry. They will come out feeling quite stiff like a new pair of raw jeans, except they won't be pressed flat (of course). This makes them a pleasure to wear the next time you put them on IMHO, and I hate the limp flimsy feel of jeans out of a dryer. They sort of "re-break in" every time you do this.

Ah yes, I google'd, Imogene's bro is Bart Sights, who did the finishing on the 'Nevada' and others .

Yeah, I met Bart when they first opened the shop. They're good folks with a great little shop, definitely worth visiting.

They don't do much finishing on their jeans there because they really only want to deal in raw denim. But, when they do finishing, it's done incredibly well.

Chucks Vintage is a good source for vintage stuff as well - does anyone know why the chucks vintage thread is locked? She posted pictures of cool items.

I would presume she stopped poneying up the money for sponsorship?

Thanks for posting those, Aho, I was contemplating those jeans yesterday afternoon. They show the hand-hammered rivets and wide pocket spacing really nicely; interesting shape leg on the third pair, very straight and wide. The first pair must have been high-waters, and the second with eight inch turn-ups.

I might have to nose for more photos of the first pair - note no watch pocket. Another LVC fuck up!

When you have a pair like this in the hand, it's fascinating to pick up the resonance of their owners, and make guesses about how they lived and worked.

I would presume she stopped poneying up the money for sponsorship?

Thanks for posting those, Aho....

I might have to nose for more photos of the first pair - note no watch pocket. Another LVC fuck up!

When you have a pair like this in the hand, it's fascinating to pick up the resonance of their owners, and make guesses about how they lived and worked.

Paul

I think the first pair are the 203 (little'un's 201's), which didnt have a watch pocket as far as I know.

Aho

Thanks for reminding us of the wonderfull pieces over at Marvin's

I think the first pair are the 203 (little'un's 201's), which didnt have a watch pocket as far as I know.

Ah, I was puzzled by that, and the central patch... I didn't know they had different features from the 201, fascinating. Somewhere I have transparencies of other kids' wear, including some early dungarees, I shall have to try and look them out/ .

This 1920's pair shows the earlier-type suspender, and plain fly buttons which are missing on the Lvc 1927 model.

http://www.marvins-jp.com/denimpants/dp-671/dp-671.html

It's also interesting to note that on some of the earlier 1922-36 models, some have the early suspender buttons, but with later fly buttons, some have bar-tacking as well as rivets on the back pockets, some only rivets.

I've always loved early 1920's 501's....

Lets hope this new XX team love vintage levis as much as we do!

LFC, what's your technique in preventing waist shrinkage?

Hi - I cut a piece of wood (flat about 1 inch thick and mayber 4-6 inches deep) to the desired size (in my case a hefty 36), dampen the raw jean waist and stretch over for a snug fit. Then I soak in the bath and dry flat. The jean shrinks everywhere except the waist. This then means you don't have to stretch the waist with wear cos it never shrank. If the jeans are slightly smaller than the piece of wood I leverage them on to the wood with a large screwdriver. Sounds odd but it works!

Hey LFC4ever, just to be clear... there's a real good chance that those 1915s you ordered in w34's will actually measure w37 when they arrive. It may vary from jean to jean but the ones Erk bought were 3" bigger than tagged, not 2". See page 645 for his measurements.

edit: BTW, I just wanted to add - that Cultizm offers a w33 in the 1915 that would prob be closer to a true 36" waist, just FYI. One inch makes a significant bit of difference when your sizeing these things.

Thanks for this - I actually have the 1917's, 1915's and 1927's coming all in a w34. Wouldn't have ordered them all but the Oki-ni prices (around £73) were just too good to miss to be honest. I'll post measurements when I get them!

I have both the 15s and the 17s and my 15s are trimmer than the 17s and the denim on the 15s and I like the denim on the 15s more than the denim on the 17s. And both the 17s and the 15s are much nicer than the 127s.

Thanks for your help, I think I need to be careful managing the shrinkage on all these then!

What cultizm is set to receive for S/S '10:

finished items:

1966 501 Drap

1947 501 Broken Down

1947 501 Pitchfork

1967 505 Black Creek

Rigids:

1915 501

1967 505

1954 501 Z

1944 501

1933 501

1955 501

1947 501

1966 501

1967 Type III Jacket

1936 Type I JKT

Closed Front Jumper

1920 Chino Dijon

1873 Canvas Rigid

What cultizm is set to receive for S/S '10:

finished items:

1966 501 Drap

1947 501 Broken Down

1947 501 Pitchfork

1967 505 Black Creek

Rigids:

1915 501

1967 505

1954 501 Z

1944 501

1933 501

1955 501

1947 501

1966 501

1967 Type III Jacket

1936 Type I JKT

Closed Front Jumper

1920 Chino Dijon

1873 Canvas Rigid

Also he's suppose duck jacket. He has a sale going right now 30% off on LVC in stock.

Or a pair of 1915s from Dejan at 30% off?

Airfrog,

sorry mate, Love the denim on the 1915's but (and I know you're a real fan) not keen on some of the details. Sent both the 1915 and 1917's back in the autumn.

Since getting a pair of the Sugar cane 47's with the tab and arc, I'm doubtfull of any more Lvc purchases. Plus, too many on rotation at the moment. Looking forward to seeing the 6 month comparison pics on both of your pairs.

Airfrog,

sorry mate, Love the denim on the 1915's but (and I know you're a real fan) not keen on some of the details. Sent both the 1915 and 1917's back in the autumn.

Since getting a pair of the Sugar cane 47's with the tab and arc, I'm doubtfull of any more Lvc purchases. Plus, to many on rotation at the moment. Looking forward to seeing the 6 month comparison pics on both of your pairs.

I think you had a one off pair of the 15s. The only thing I would like to see on mine are the right rivets and a better buckle. I put a turn of the 120th century original buckle on my 15s. Oh and maybe deeper front pockets.

SCs 47s are nice. A much more accurate cut.

Airfrog,

Since getting a pair of the Sugar cane 47's with the tab and arc, I'm doubtfull of any more Lvc purchases. Plus, to many on rotation at the moment. Looking forward to seeing the 6 month comparison pics on both of your pairs.

which details you didnt like,Dr?

I think you had a one off pair of the 15s. The only thing I would like to see on mine are the right rivets and a better buckle. I put a turn of the 120th century original buckle on my 15s. Oh and maybe deeper front pockets.

SCs 47s are nice. A much more accurate cut.

It was the 1917 which was a one off- had J-crew rivets-backs!

The 1915s looked ok, and the denim is awesome, but the buckle, slghtly smaller than normal (and badly-stitched)patch, slimmer-fit, weird back pocket shapes and suspender buttons placed too close together drove me to say enough was enough.

So i sent them both back.

Would have sent the 27's back too, but I'd added another row of stitching on the top of the back pockets.

I say to you - stop depending on others....do some research....make up your own mind.

DougC, I don't take too kindly to people arbitrarily telling me what to do or how I should think, I'm a bit of a hot head so my first instinct is to rip you a new ass hole, but instead I'll say this to YOU. Like you, when I first showed up on this board I thought yeah, this is another typical blog where a few big dick-swingin know-it-alls and their lackeys throw their weight around while keeping outsiders in their place. Hell I even once implied that PaulT was probably getting paid by Levi's to promote their products. Well, all of that turns out to be far from the truth. Look, these dudes are just a bunch of laid back denim heads with a passion to talk shop. I've found that if you go w the vibe and try not to take things so damn personal you'll appreciate much of what's posted here. Sure there'll be debates and pissing matches, but by sticking to the facts the board will be a lot less cluttered. This is a rhetorical post -- no response necessary or expected. Thanks.