Levi's Vintage Clothing

not even that they have the wrong patch,for a reason i never understood lvc used a worn out one-on a raw pair.it might be authentic but i dont like that the denim isnt going deep enough in the frontpockets,so the white lining always shows up.the yoke is uneven sewn.will do a comparison pic when the 1915 is dry tomorrow.

That shallow denim in the front pockets is correct to the originals, for what it's worth. It's weird how pckets give a different feel... I like my Lee Euros, which have massive front pockets, and also the heavier pocket fabric on SDA.

On the later 1901, it wasn't that they used an 'aged' leather patch - they used the wrong style, it should be a 2-horse patch, the early version without the size printed on.

More news: Orange tab range discontinued

One thing I just remembered is I was told a few weeks ago that Levi's have dropped their orange-tab reissues. This is a real shame, but they were marketed badly, I don't think any retailers understood what they were. Here, in memoriam, is some of the models they produced. I thought these were excellent repros, it's really interesting that denim-heads at Levi's and elsehwere are getting into the OE denim again (by the way, I believe that last 501 repro, the little e, is ring/oe fabric. LEvi's were always very cagey about this, but I think the changed to ring/oe maybe around 1981.

Orange tab: In Memoriam

IMG_0753.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0755.jpg

Anyone else read selectism?

Apparenlty Levi's Japan got shut down...

http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/01/08/levis-shut-down-japan-officesoperations/

Did someone notice my link about Levis (and LVC) Japan?

http://www.selectism.com/news/2010/01/08/levis-shut-down-japan-officesoperations/

Let's hope that at least somewhere in ther world LVC will not be discontinued soon :o

??????????

Paul,mine is a later one.its the wrong patch and its made to look so worn that you cant read anything.its just an old small brown pice of leather...

Yours are the 1901 with the patch that was put on the 1880 knappave. The first issue had the right patch (like mine and Paul's), but with no text, then they brought out the knappave patched 1901 (yours) and last year, they bought out the 1901 with the correct patch with text..ie Lot 501 with waist and leg size (which came out around 1890.

i know,its the same patch that is in my 1st frontpleated blouse and also on my 1873-first bluejean.but on those you are able to read the words.

Like I said, the patch you have (unreadable brown leather one) is the same as the 1880 Knappave - these are the only models with this patch.

The one on the 1879 first pleated blouse, 1873 1st blue, all the 1873 duck items and the 1870 oldest-oldest are the readable cream colour leather ones with the brown text.

:)

Yours are the 1901 with the patch that was put on the 1880 knappave. The first issue had the right patch (like mine and Paul's), but with no text, then they brought out the knappave patched 1901 (yours) and last year, they bought out the 1901 with the correct patch with text..ie Lot 501 with waist and leg size (which came out around 1890.

SO you think they changed from the 2-horse without text to the text version around 1890? So that means there were only four years or so with the text-less version? Or do you think there was never a text-less version?

SO you think they changed from the 2-horse without text to the text version around 1890? So that means there were only four years or so with the text-less version? Or do you think there was never a text-less version?

I dont think there was a textless version, but then again, I've never seen the original 1886-1890 model (does one exist?)

On originals, I thought they were just called 'XX' until 1890, when they gave them the lot number. I've seen pics of at least three pairs of 1890-1900 with 'Lot 501 XX ' on the two horse patch.

I've always thought the textless version was just another Lvc fuck up,.

The latest Lvc version has got 'Lot 501', but no XX after (??why??)

I have been wearing a pair of '54 501z quite a lot, but I bought them true to size, and they fit perfectly, which means I can't wash them or soak them, unless we're talking a really quick cold soak maybe. So I wan't to buy a new pair that I can soak, shrink and wash.

Do you guys know if there is some way to soak/wash them without getting the zipper bulking?

I was thinking about cold soaking them a couple of times really quickly at first, so the shrinking goes a little at the time, but I maybe that is just crazy thinking, and it might just be impossible.

Please help.

I have been wearing a pair of '54 501z quite a lot, but I bought them true to size, and they fit perfectly, which means I can't wash them or soak them, unless we're talking a really quick cold soak maybe. So I wan't to buy a new pair that I can soak, shrink and wash.

Do you guys know if there is some way to soak/wash them without getting the zipper bulking?

I was thinking about cold soaking them a couple of times really quickly at first, so the shrinking goes a little at the time, but I maybe that is just crazy thinking, and it might just be impossible.

Please help.

I have a pair of '54 501z that I bought true to size. Before I wore them the first time, I soaked them for three hours at room temp and then spun dry. Then I wore them until they were dry. The zipper was a little wavy at first. I put on some beeswax so it wouldn't stick. It has now stretched back out and works like a charm. If you use cool water and don't use the drier, you should be fine.

i am wearing the 1915 right now.lost 1,5 inch in lenght and 1 in the waist after soak-fits me perfect.dont really need the notorious cinch to hold it on my waist but i followed the lvc advice and cutted the small bridgepiece out-and it fell apart.will they ever get it right one day?

i am wearing the 1915 right now.lost 1,5 inch in lenght and 1 in the waist after soak-fits me perfect.dont really need the notorious cinch to hold it on my waist but i followed the lvc advice and cutted the small bridgepiece out-and it fell apart.will they ever get it right one day?

i just got a new buckle and a pair of suspenders from that river junction place. I haven't installed the buckle yet. I did clip the cinch and it fell apart, but I put it all back together and just wedged the tines against the denim strap and left it like that. I'll fix it for real as soon as I can.

I got the same buckle that entertainment is using on his. it looks nice.

I don't know how I feel about the suspenders. I probably wont be wearing them very often. but they sure do hold up your pants nicely.

Here are some fit-pics of my 1880 in comparison with my 37 501. The 1880 pics are brightened up with photoshop because the where too dark. I wear them in rotation for about 3 months but they fade very slow (compareable with the 201). They are both W30 true to my waistsize.

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

a>

Many thanks for the fit-pix of the 1880's Markus, will be looking out for the wonderfull evo pix over the coming years. The denim pockets and other details (not the shite leather patch) are fantastic. May have to dig mine out soon...

SAnyone else have any fit-pix of the 1880?

1915 vs 1901

4262984544_948f7ff918.jpg

both are tagged 32/34

4262234229_b816b0208e.jpg

4262974186_1002492eb3.jpg

the 1901 had only seen one short cold soak,the 1915 were hotsoaked for 5 hours,followed by a quick wash at 40°.another great example for size-variation.the lenght differs aswell:

4262964984_04ed0a2552.jpg

the patch that is not telling a lot.even though its looks kinda nice,its missplaced on a raw pair:

4262235983_f3227eb5e3.jpg

and a sloppy sewing job:

4263106850_6acb61b042.jpg

according to Dejan who got in contact with the german LVC-people about this,its all exactly reprocuded after the original they own.well,apart from that patch.

Thanks almostnice and Markus.

I'm too lazy to compare the dimensions on my own thred for the 1880 vs the 1890, but they look a pretty similar shape.

Almostnice, can you see any print at all on the 1901 patch? It looks large, so I'd think it is the 2-horse? THe 1901 does fade beatuifully, so would make an interesting comparison w the 1915 - although I'd like a pair, I'll have to wiat until I put more into my 201 and 1890. I suspect the 1915 will be a hightlight of the range, and will remain for some time.