Levi's Vintage Clothing

i just read as much as i could through this huge thread and used the search function.

so many advices and opinions flying around on the sizing issues with lvc, it got me scarred.

i am just going to state my question and hope i will not get heat by doing so.

here we go:

i want to buy a '47 cut and a '66 cut lvc. in the ideal state they end up 35.5" to 36.5" in the waist and 36" (or more) in the inseam after a hot soak.

what size do i need to buy?

38/38

36/38

or should i go for a 36/36 and forget about adding water to the fabric at all?

i heard nightmarer stories of 3" shrinkage in the inseam and nearly no shrink in the waist. as I said - i got scarred!

based on these stories, the following measurments would be perfect, i guess:

37/39

i know, that in the end i have to measure/make sure myself that i get the correct sizes, but what sizes to search for?

help me out - would be really appreciated!

Guest patchmb

^ TT i have a pair of 47's that have been washed many times, tag size is 38/36 & final measurement is 36/33 hope that helps you. One thing to consider is these have had loads of hot washes & been in the dryer a good few times as they were a little too big for me. You could limit the inseam shrinkage a bit with other washing methods.

pic0095editedtq4.jpg

^ TT i have a pair of 47's that have been washed many times, tag size is 38/36 & final measurement is 36/33 hope that helps you. One thing to consider is these have had loads of hot washes & been in the dryer a good few times as they were a little too big for me. You could limit the inseam shrinkage a bit with other washing methods.

patch, helpful as always!

so it is true, they shrink by 3" in the inseam over time. horrid.

bad luck with the 47s. They look pretty good, too - where are they made? Does it say 233M on the button, ot other factory code on the tag? Turkey or USA?

PLease post pix of the raw ones when you get them, front and back, would love to see if they look different to the N Carolina-made ones.

On the distressed ones I can see minor differences - like the coin/watch pocket, which is set a little lower.

sorry I took long, here ya go!

2998200842_64de0f9fc1_b.jpg

2998201308_264cd105d3_o.jpg

also got a pair of 1901xx 501 for 60 bucks at the levis store, clearance! what a steal

2998932736_c75062e083.jpg

I might end up selling my 1937 railrider 501's.. they fit extremely baggy for me, but they're so nice.

^ Those look real nice, especially for the price!

So, I'm back with a couple more questions.

My waist where I wear my jeans is a measured 32-33. 32 if the tape is pulled tight.

1. Will a 34(33)W/36L '47 501xx post soak be a 32-33W/34L?

2. Would it be better to go with a 32W over the 34? I like to sag a little bit but don't want them to be too baggy in the waist.

* I purchased some shitty 501 STF's over the weekend (went out of town and forgot jeans, needed a quick, cheap pair due to the weather).

* Bought a 34W/36L and right now it's about a 35W/34L right now POST soak.

3. How big is the leg opening on the '47 501xx? I'd like a bit of stacking (nothing excessive) and am 5'10".

4. Will a 38L be a better option than the 36L or will that be overkill?

* The 34L in these 501STF's seems nice but its definitely baggy towards the bottom.

5. The '47's aren't due to being more of a slim cut, correct?

Looking good, but not so sure about what she's done to the cuff. Looking too much like hareem pants/hammertime!

My wife has a pair of 555 raw 37's in her wardrobe that I bought her a few years back. Must persuade her to start wearing them!! Problem micht be that they're a 36 inseam and she's only 5ft. The cuffs will be over her knees :)

I think they fit great, especially because of the pinroll.

I've actually got a question about the 1937's (particularly the 555 ones). What weight are/were those? I recently hemmed a pair of 555 1937 for a dude and I was surpised at how sturdy and rugged they were compared to 1933. definelty felt like 14-15 oz to me...

The pairs I have are very heavy. Would say 15oz but i'm sure Paul T can verify. If only LVC's were still made to that quality. sigh

Hi, I'm pretty certain the 37 are 13oz - which equates to roughly 14.5 oz once soaked. THat said, I'm sure there is variance from year to year, definitely some are bulkier than others.

I can't say I've noticed a real fall in quality of the Cone denim on LVC, although there were certainly bad mistakes made in production of some of the jeans, like the 201s with the wrong pockets. Yet there can be changes in the appearance of the denim from year to year, probably because those old looms are pernickety.

hi guys just found these in a messy market deadstock. They don't look like a fake to me but hey I'm not that lvc expert like I see some of you are. They have hidden rivets, selvedge in the coin pockets, 555 stamped button. And yeah they were supercheap. Any opinion will be highly appreciated!

dsc04861oj1.jpg

dsc04859fe7.jpg

dsc04858xp1.jpg

If somebody's interested: they still have these in deadstock sizes 30 31 32 36 38 40 all lenghts are 38. I can proxy for euro 60 shipped.

if you could find a tagged 38x40 or find a 38x38 with an inseam measured at 39 or higher, i would definitely be interested.

need sth which ends up 36 in the waist and 36 in length. so a measured 38x39 would be perfect.

but, only if you happen to have time and fun conducting that search ... :)

which cut are they?

if you could find a tagged 38x40 or find a 38x38 with an inseam measured at 39 or higher, i would definitely be interested.

need sth which ends up 36 in the waist and 36 in length. so a measured 38x39 would be perfect.

but, only if you happen to have time and fun conducting that search ... :)

which cut are they?

I posted these a few pages back asking the same thing. Paul T says this is a 1955 cut.

about your size, I think a 38-38 can work but I'm not sure. They only have 38 lenghts for all the sizes.

I posted these a few pages back asking the same thing. Paul T says this is a 1955 cut.

about your size, I think a 38-38 can work but I'm not sure. They only have 38 lenghts for all the sizes.

if you could measure the inseam and find a pair with ~39" i would be in. otherwise they will turn our too short for me.

thx anyway, if you do not find the time for this.

shipping to the us will be around 30euro from europe insured.

which cut are they?

Remember the 55 are made big in the waist. I wear 32/32 in the 55, 34/34 in the 47. If you get the smaller waist size and only ever wash cold, you'll keep more of the leg length, too.

There's a waist size comparison here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=599612&postcount=4