Levi's Vintage Clothing

The 201 are like the 1901, just a vague interpretation. Made somewhere vague, with vague fabric, just a generic lookalike.

I think in the UK the 1901 were £80 or £90, so in the past it would have been a no-brainer to go for the decent repros at £130. Now, of course, we're talking a lot more.

I mentioned the price rise I think around the time of that Cinch party. XX have to pay their own way now and account for the overheads that formerly got lost within the system. Yup, it's a serious amount of moolah.

I'm starting to wonder if this XX project is going to work out.

The 201 are like the 1901, just a vague interpretation. Made somewhere vague, with vague fabric, just a generic lookalike.

I think in the UK the 1901 were £80 or £90, so in the past it would have been a no-brainer to go for the decent repros at £130. Now, of course, we're talking a lot more.

I mentioned the price rise I think around the time of that Cinch party. XX have to pay their own way now and account for the overheads that formerly got lost within the system. Yup, it's a serious amount of moolah.

yeah, I was just hoping it was gonna be a minor prince increase though. I could barely swing the $200 in the past, $325+ is totally out of my price range. At BiG i could pay full retail on most of their jeans and spend less money.

edit: at shorty long - I dont think it will. if they are seriously gonna be that pricey, I dont foresee anyone buying a pair.

Still, on the bright side, I shall have a lot more jeans in the 2-years-wear thread in the future.

haha, doesn't sound so bad when you put it that way. Its not like I need any. Maybe I'll have some time to really work on my 1915s and SC 47s. But I really would like to get some 1955s or 44s sometime.

These price increase really bummed my next LVC buying. I think for the price I might try one of the japanese brands.

and honestly for the cash, It almost justifies buying originals to wear.

this message was posted by Maurizio (part of the "XX" team) over on ACL:

"LVC (Levi’s Vintage Clothing) is producing part of its line in the US.

4 different white t’s, 2 jackets and 9 different versions of the 501′s (from 1890 to 1966).

They are not made in Levi’s owned factories (but made in US regardless).

Denim fabrics are also made in US by Cone Mills (all selvedge).

Next year product offering will expand."

Thanks Mike. That would explain things for the overalls. But do you think the 40s and 50s jeans were made of such lightweight cloth as well...including brands other than Levis? Paul has assured us that from a Levis point of view the evidence is incontrovertible. What about other makers? Did the evolution from overalls to pants continue with the same light cloth?

I believe the 1940 and 1950s all were 12 oz raw around 14 after full shrinkage. The 1840s I don't have a clue.

I think these 1886s were from 2005 but heres a couple of shots of the patch when they were raw.

Yep spring 05 and are pretty rare. I sold them a couple of months ago.

Insidelabel.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

Watch pocket

IMG_0394.jpg

Thanks for posting these pants, the patch on these pants are after 1890, because it would say patent riveted clothing and not copper riveted clothing.

anyone have this book?

levi-strauss-history.jpg

Published by Minerva in 93, authors are french? I glanced through it; mostly pictures of ads; not much text; seemed to focus on last decades

This patch shouldn't say every garment guaranteed.

Yeah there were a couple of things that weren't right about this repro. Its also had a blue/green line on the selvage to and I always thought the leather patch should have been on the side not the center but great denim and still a very nice jean.

Yeah there were a couple of things that weren't right about this repro. Its also had a blue/green line on the selvage to and I always thought the leather patch should have been on the side not the center but great denim and still a very nice jean.

The denim on the 1886 is great (selling mine btw)

I think the denim for all the early Levis models is Kurabo, as my 1880's, 1886's and 1917's are very similar.

Pomata

Una bella pomata! I think you could use at least 1.5 to 2 inches more rise. The pants make your torso look longer than your legs ie way out of balance. It makes you look squatter and heavier than you really are. You have a good build to wear clothes, so wear them higher and it will give you great line. And it will look like you made it to the bagno in time.  Sto scherzando…

dsc06485v2.jpg

Try a 1955 cut....it will look much better on you. (Personal opinion)

Pomata

Una bella pomata! I think you could use at least 1.5 to 2 inches more rise. The pants make your torso look longer than your legs ie way out of balance. It makes you look squatter and heavier than you really are. You have a good build to wear clothes, so wear them higher and it will give you great line. And it will look like you made it to the bagno in time.  Sto scherzando…try a '55 cut, it will look better

dsc06485v2.jpg

Pomata

Una bella pomata! I think you could use at least 1.5 to 2 inches more rise. The pants make your torso look longer than your legs ie way out of balance. It makes you look squatter and heavier than you really are. You have a good build to wear clothes, so wear them higher and it will give you great line. And it will look like you made it to the bagno in time.  Sto scherzando…Try a '55 cut, it will do wonders for you.

dsc06485v2.jpg

The denim on the 1886 is great (selling mine btw)

I think the denim for all the early Levis models is Kurabo, as my 1880's, 1886's and 1917's are very similar.

Yeah Doc I love the denim and I'm really digg'n the Knappaves. I find it to be very similar to the 1901s I had, and both the 1886s and the 1917s I had. I also really love the Cone denim on the 1915s and the new 1947s. I think that cone is really stepping it up. Also even though the 9 and 10 oz denim isn't heavy the denim on the 1933s 10 oz is as has already mentioned (Cheap & Grant) is tough as nails. I don't know what the new 2010 denim is like on the 33s but if its anything like the older stuff its great.

Also did LVC change the pocket shape on the 2010 1933? It looks like it to me from the photos. I hope not but the new one looked to me to be more like the 1917s, 1915s and 1927s and not the great shape the old ones had.

Yeah Doc I love the denim and I'm really digg'n the Knappaves. I find it to be very similar to the 1901s I had, and both the 1886s and the 1917s I had. I also really love the Cone denim on the 1915s and the new 1947s. I think that cone is really stepping it up. Also even though the 9 and 10 oz denim isn't heavy the denim on the 1933s 10 oz is as has already mentioned (Cheap & Grant) is tough as nails. I don't know what the new 2010 denim is like on the 33s but if its anything like the older stuff its great.

Also did LVC change the pocket shape on the 2010 1933? It looks like it to me from the photos. I hope not but the new one looked to me to be more like the 1917s, 1915s and 1927s and not the great shape the old ones had.

Haven't seen the 2010 33's close up, but I know the arc on the 2010 201 is very different from the previous editions, it's more authentic imho.

Looking forward to the forthcoming A/W 2010 stuff, wonder if they'll be any new models of 501's?

(pm'd you re-1886's)

Really like your modified (ie more accurate) oldest/oldest, apart from the arcuate, which imo is whack.

You should send the photos to Lvc/XX !

(cant rep you again as GTS)

How you enjoyin the ducks?

That arcuate always reminds me of a bird in the sky from a kitschy painting.

The ducks are wonderful. Absolutely one of my favorites. Thanks again.

I haven't been able to give rep to anyone (except our newcomer Sansome1877) on this thread including you for months and there have been many worthy posts .

Here are some pictures of the LVC "Oldest Oldest" with some modifications made by me. I moved the patch from the center to the side, flattened the rivets, and shortened the cinch strap with the buckle.

2010-06-30021.jpg

2010-06-30029.jpg

2010-06-30023.jpg

2010-06-30024.jpg

2010-06-30030.jpg

Nice custom work,can you post a close up of the patch.