Levi's Vintage Clothing

Wait, do the oldest oldest really not have a felled yoke? Did the originals have an open seam yoke like that? It seems they would have fallen apart after just a few washes. Denim frays like mad when not closed.

Yup, the first couple years they had a single stitched yoke. PLenty of fraying on early jeans but it didn't seem to pass the line of stitching. These are 1890s 201:

100_1489.jpg

Yup, the first couple years they had a single stitched yoke. PLenty of fraying on early jeans but it didn't seem to pass the line of stitching. These are 1890s 201:

100_1489.jpg

Is that because they didn't have machines that did an overlock? If so why not a felled seam? Or were those not common at the time?

Or is it possible they did an overlock on the seams, but the only models they have found the overlock stitching had come undone?

I really am surprised that they held up and never opened the stitching.

oldest oldest

DSC00525.jpg

Wait, do the oldest oldest really not have a felled yoke? Did the originals have an open seam yoke like that? It seems they would have fallen apart after just a few washes. Denim frays like mad when not closed.[/quote

oldest oldest?? looked to me like the first testrun of the electrumXasiantailor collab.

Soaked my 1873 Ducks that I just got in. They are the new batch made in Turkey. Started out TTS at 32x32. Post 1 hour hot soak they shrunk 1 inch in the waist and 2 1/2 inches in the inseam. Now they sit at a 31x29.5. They are really nice but I might soak again to see if I can get another 1/2 inch in the waist. Will post pics as soon as I get my lazy butt to take post soak pics, maybe tomorrow.

[

Hey Roy, thanks for the pics. I'm eyeing a jacket too, in a blue-greyish-black colour. It's a sample garment, I hope I'll get some pictures soon- here's that jacket (unfortuntely not the one I could get):

unbenanntv.gif

I hope this sample garment is also made by Aero, the seller told me only "made in UK"...Can you give me a sizing advice? I wear "M" in all my jackets, but I'm afraid this jacket is maybe too small in M. Thanks in advance.

I hope this sample garment is also made by Aero, the seller told me only "made in UK"...Can you give me a sizing advice? I wear "M" in all my jackets, but I'm afraid this jacket is maybe too small in M. Thanks in advance.

The jacket you have pictured is the Blue-black, also from 2003, also made by Aero. It is under-sized. I have a large that fits me well- I usually wear a medium sized jacket. If you want measurements or a fit pic, pm me.

The jacket you have pictured is the Blue-black, also from 2003, also made by Aero. It is under-sized. I have a large that fits me well- I usually wear a medium sized jacket. If you want measurements or a fit pic, pm me.

Thanks buddy, I was afraid they're undersized. Too bad, so I have to let it go (new w/o tags for under 200€), f.ck.

Thanks Paul, I'll do some measurements later today, maybe there's a chance for me. I guess they're pretty rare meanwhile. Uh, and I like the cut, especially on your fit pic!

And thanks a lot for your final words to electrum.

I hope he'll find another brand and stop his boring posts.

Cotton, why are you wasting your time casting pearls before (metaphorical) swine, when you should be posting picture updates of your duck pants –*and telling us what your take is on the definition of duck vs canvas, you, if anyone, should know!

Soaked my 1873 Ducks that I just got in. They are the new batch made in Turkey. Started out TTS at 32x32. Post 1 hour hot soak they shrunk 1 inch in the waist and 2 1/2 inches in the inseam. Now they sit at a 31x29.5. They are really nice but I might soak again to see if I can get another 1/2 inch in the waist. Will post pics as soon as I get my lazy butt to take post soak pics, maybe tomorrow.

Interesting you got so much more shrinkage than the shirt. Some of that must be due to the fact that the fabric shrinks more along the selvage (which is how the fabric is placed on the upper yoke section), than across the selvage. ROY has posted about this, how the yoke shrinks more than the rest of the top block, on his sizing guide. Please post fit pics, here and on the Duck thread!

4731903221_594c18ff93_b.jpg

The LVC Rough 'n' Ready leather jacket from 2003. The top pics are the LVC repro, the bottom are of an original Levis leather jacket that is a an extremely similar (if not the same) model that sold on the Bay last year. You can see the excellent job they did of reconstructing it.

The LVC version was manufactured by Aero in Scotland, a well-thought of company. Their jackets are pricey, a comparable Aero jacket, like the Bootlegger, would have sold for around $800 in 2003 (? ask Dr_Heech). This jacket is also heavily distressed and has nice fine details like a loosened and restitched shoulder seem and a repaired patch on the lower left front. Distressing a jacket is a lot of additional work- if you had ordered one exactly like this from Aero it probably would have been well over $1000. The LVC version was $795 at most places, I think.

The quality is extremely high. It's made with horsehide in an oil pull finish, the flannel lining is immaculate and sturdily stitched. It's a real pleasure to wear, and I fully expect it to last me the rest of my life.

Shortylong also has this jacket I think, or did. He can tell you what he thinks of it.

Just one example.

See also:

PaulT's duck jumper from last season- he posted numerous pictures of it new and after some washes, showing the way it's breaking in, (very nicely) as well as a comparison with an original jumper.

Eltopos 1873 jeans- lots of pictures here and in the Mr.Freedom thread. There are lots of pictures of the original of this jean. An excellent, very convincing repro.

Crownzip's friend's '33s, which have been worn to hell and back and are still holding together and looking amazing, posted about two weeks ago here.

Take the time to look back through this thread and you will find tons of beautiful pieces that are wearing in very well, not falling apart like subpar merchandise would.

I won't debate about pricing. High end clothing costs what it costs, mostly reflecting the design process and name of the manufacturer as well as distribution costs. Might as well spit in the wind.

Regarding your fantasies about me being beaten, you might want to compare notes with almostnice. I think he has those too.

Yep Aero was supplying LVC for a while and the ones you posted Roy are ones that they Aero made for LVC and are VERY well made.

Again the 55 LVC is really a good repro as are the 333s the 209 coveralls the knappaves the 20s 201s with the ones from IIRC 07 having a double needle arc but the rest was pretty good but the 555s and the last one were great. The buckles are crap and maybe Levis can correct that issue because they certainly have been making an effort to get other things right like the DENIM which in my opinion is very important.

And you think there jeans are pricey. Step into the world of repro 30s & 40 military leather flight jackets and the funny part is the same conversations go on there but its tanning process, hardware and knits.

Lots of posts since I posted last. Nothing like a little bickering to liven up a thread eehhh? LoL

Roy and Paul gotta spread it around but great posts both.

Airfrog,

The 20s 201s with double needle arcs are from 2005.

Ok thanks man time flies when you're drink'n beer.

I had a pair and the denim was still pretty nice. Not that much different than the 20s 201 555s I have and Paul pointed out the last edition of the 20s 201 (the one with the correct arcs) and how similar they were to the 555s.

New to SuFu but wanted to say hello on the LVC threads. Have been buying LVC stuff since '99 - a hobby that begun on a date with my wife when I bought myself a sawtooth shirt and her a denim jacket. Sadly most of it has gone to friends and family and been beaten to all hell. I still have lots of the old swing tag catalogues somewhere if anyone wants scans of particular seasons/items.

A pic that you might find amusing/insulting - a remnant of my days working at Evisu in Japan - a red tab designed to look like a Big E tab after it had been abused and folded down.

Nice to be part of this great community! Happy to help if anyone here has any questions, just fire through..

desu.

EvisRedTab.jpg

Nice to see you over here, loving your recent fit pics.

I have a friend who'll be disappointed he didn't track down and razor off that Evis tab! He's retired now, a hired denim hand who's left the fray.

Was Evisu's denim coming mainly from Kurabo in the 90s? Adriano GOldschmied, who owned part of the company at the time, told me it was. Do you know any more about who developed the fabrics??

Here's a photo of a pair of old 555 Valencia St. '47 501's that have to be at least nine years old. These are the jeans that got me into this whole denim addiction.The pocket bags are trashed and they've been patched in a couple places but are looking better than ever.

47501-1.jpg

New to SuFu but wanted to say hello on the LVC threads. Have been buying LVC stuff since '99 - a hobby that begun on a date with my wife when I bought myself a sawtooth shirt and her a denim jacket. Sadly most of it has gone to friends and family and been beaten to all hell. I still have lots of the old swing tag catalogues somewhere if anyone wants scans of particular seasons/items.

A pic that you might find amusing/insulting - a remnant of my days working at Evisu in Japan - a red tab designed to look like a Big E tab after it had been abused and folded down.

Nice to be part of this great community! Happy to help if anyone here has any questions, just fire through..

desu.

EvisRedTab.jpg

Welcome and your words and wisdom will be a welcome addition.

I loved my leather jacket, but I foolishly bought one that was too small because it was all Selvedge had in stock. I recently sold it and the buyer is very happy with it.

4731903221_594c18ff93_b.jpg

The LVC Rough 'n' Ready leather jacket from 2003. The top pics are the LVC repro, the bottom are of an original Levis leather jacket that is a an extremely similar (if not the same) model that sold on the Bay last year. You can see the excellent job they did of reconstructing it.

The LVC version was manufactured by Aero in Scotland, a well-thought of company. Their jackets are pricey, a comparable Aero jacket, like the Bootlegger, would have sold for around $800 in 2003 (? ask Dr_Heech). This jacket is also heavily distressed and has nice fine details like a loosened and restitched shoulder seem and a repaired patch on the lower left front. Distressing a jacket is a lot of additional work- if you had ordered one exactly like this from Aero it probably would have been well over $1000. The LVC version was $795 at most places, I think.

The quality is extremely high. It's made with horsehide in an oil pull finish, the flannel lining is immaculate and sturdily stitched. It's a real pleasure to wear, and I fully expect it to last me the rest of my life.

Shortylong also has this jacket I think, or did. He can tell you what he thinks of it.

Just one example.

See also:

PaulT's duck jumper from last season- he posted numerous pictures of it new and after some washes, showing the way it's breaking in, (very nicely) as well as a comparison with an original jumper.

Eltopos 1873 jeans- lots of pictures here and in the Mr.Freedom thread. There are lots of pictures of the original of this jean. An excellent, very convincing repro.

Crownzip's friend's '33s, which have been worn to hell and back and are still holding together and looking amazing, posted about two weeks ago here.

Take the time to look back through this thread and you will find tons of beautiful pieces that are wearing in very well, not falling apart like subpar merchandise would.

I won't debate about pricing. High end clothing costs what it costs, mostly reflecting the design process and name of the manufacturer as well as distribution costs. Might as well spit in the wind.

Regarding your fantasies about me being beaten, you might want to compare notes with almostnice. I think he has those too.

Here's a photo of a pair of old 555 Valencia St. '47 501's that have to be at least nine years old. These are the jeans that got me into this whole denim addiction.The pocket bags are trashed and they've been patched in a couple places but are looking better than ever.

47501-1.jpg

Best 1947s I've seen - beautiful! + repped

Yikes! The last thing we wanna do is re-ignite that 1947 debate! I think at least some of the controversy is simply due to the sizing; size down on the 55 compared to the 47 and the difference is not that huge, as my sig illustrates.

Some time ago I found this excellent blog by a biker who's an expert on loads of stuff, including Belstaff vs Barbour international etc (he's got some excellent info on McQueen's jacket0:

http://40on2.blogspot.com/

He posted a photo of his dad in Morro Bay (just near one of my favorite towns, Pismo Beach) in 1948; check out the leg shape on his Levi's. This is exactly the same as all the other biker shots I've seen from 47-48, the classic Hollister period. If the jeans at that time weren't made slimmer than in the 50s, bikers were definitely downsizing. Sorry about the size of the pic, I'm linking directly from his blog...

MorroBay1948.jpg

Oh yeah, fab jeans, crownzip, these and your recent Lees are quality stuff...

Thanks to Roy for those pics.

Love that 2003 ruff'n'ready. Impossible to find one in an XXL.

Wow, this thread is on fire these last few pages! +rep !!

Crownzip, those 47's are a thing of real beauty. Your fit pics are some of the best on this thread (and the Leepro), showin us what it's all about - WEARIN 'EM !