Denim Repair

obsessis

nice, pretty damn clean, i think i'll have to do these for basically all my pants from now on.

Yeah...the problem I'm going to have is with the other pair I'm wearing at the moment, as they're broken twill and VERY green caste...

I'm going to have to contact the manufacturer direct to see if they can help with any old pieces of denim.

I wish it were a barracuda attack - that would make SENSE! There was one small hole on each side and then all the sudden the stitching blew in the very middle seam and all the holes combined... I dropped them off at BiG yesterday to see if Gordon can do anything. If 45rpm is not doing repairs on non-45RPM jeans I'm not even sure who to go to.

A friend of mine had this ratty pair of old pre EuEd European Evisu's that he's had for years and basically wore (and washed) all the time!

Quite a while ago he ripped out of the back and asked me if I could repair it for him, while not my favorite thing to do ever, especially seeing how badly ripped they were I decided to do my best anyway:

3340941559_0e5c697635.jpg

Apart from this bigass rip there were some smaller ones that I patched up aswell.

Again a little while later, he told me that he had now ripped a pretty big hole in the crotch and couldn't really wear them anymore, and again asked if I could patch them up for him.

This "hole" was basically a whole piece of denim simply gone "missing" and at this point I recognized that the jeans were really too fucked up to try to repair them in a way that was in any way "subtle", so I decided to make a little project out of them.

This is the result:

3340962779_a507c70ec0_b.jpg

3340956435_a8f0595d52_b.jpg

The mushrooms had been added by another friend of mine ages ago and I figured they were a part of the jean by now so I didn't take them off...

3341787102_64214e73df.jpg

Both pockets were ripped out and the pocketbags were basically missing, I was able to still safe the right pocket and reinforced the pocketbag with a thin stretch denim, the left pocket however was really farfar gone so I decided to just sew up the whole thing and put on a new pocket.

3341784192_18b086b0e7.jpg

What was left of the denim was a fraying mess so I just covered it u with leather, also note the new beltloop

3341780196_1c7e385b66.jpg

New pocket, made out of a beautiful Cone denim, the denim left of it was this very deep gash where the denim had just disappeared over time, I patched that up, covered the edge with leather, stitched it all close and then added the new pocket.

3341785784_78b395ace0.jpg

The back was quite messy but I tried my best, keep in mind that by now there was so much denim that my machine didn't really feel like stitching pretty anymore.

Edges of the pockets had somewhat disappeared, the whole right backpocket was worn through and coming off. I lined it again and then covered the worn through rivets with leather. Patched up the hole on the right, added new beltloop, and put on a new leather patch as the original one had gone missing.

3340942767_3cd3fc0f63.jpg

3340950581_c499b85776.jpg

Not the cleanest ever, but it'll do the job.

His name is Lukas and the jeans have been going strong since 02...

3341781532_1e841e57ac.jpg

Burned in by hand.

3340939993_904c261986.jpg

The crotch "gap" mentioned earlier

3341769576_212906eb69.jpg

The top repair was done earlier and I tried blending different colour thread, not really satisfied with how it looks

Some better looking stitching:

3340938671_c0ca878ec0.jpg

3341772890_e3ae6d1e62.jpg

The hems where a whole project on their own:

3340945523_2b00007232.jpg

3340946909_1b43a7d668.jpg

3341776138_3e4523f730.jpg

All in all I'm pretty pleased with the result, and my friend is super excited to be able to wear them again.

It was a lot of work though, basically patched up whole new jeans on the inside top block, used 5 different types of selvedge denim and leather in the places that were most fucked up.

A little too loud for my taste, but I do love the craftsmanship involved. That new leather patch is looking nice as well.

I like subtle repairs on jeans (new denim hidden inside the jeans), but sometimes jeans get too out of hand and you just have to slap some new denim on them to make them functional again.

good work Cotton.

i just got my omnigods back from hollywood trading co.

they fixed my back pockets and my crotch which were coming apart.

top row is befores, bottom row is afters:

IMG_1387.jpg

before...

IMG_1182.jpg

...and after.

IMG_1379.jpg

before and after:

IMG_1390.jpg

and before and after:

IMG_1392.jpg

now -- the crotch seam is nice and clean again:

IMG_1391.jpg

now -- pockets have no holes...

IMG_1396.jpg

...and are reinforced and ready for more abuse.

IMG_1383.jpg

i think they did a great job, and at a reasonable price. very happy right now and looking forward to wearing these again. but not until the sufu contest is over, i guess.

whenever i head back up that way, i need to get my samurais and prps taken care of. back pockets are jacked

how did you fix this? I have a pair of jeans w/ a rip that size, but on both sides. Figured it was too big to fix, but maybe not.

Anyone w/ any suggestions?

---------------- Now playing: Howard Stern - 3-11-09-Howard_Stern_Show

before

29m63c0.jpg

after

wo8pf.jpg

I guess I would want it more "clean" looking, oh well..

I was so upset when it happened this morning :(

what exactly is the type of thread used to put jeans together? Seems to be a heavier more durable thread than your usual run of the mill kind.

There's nothing really special about it, it's just usually thicker. Thread can be measured a couple ways, but consider the TEX scale. It goes from 0-100 and measures the weight of the thread over a given distance (much like oz/yard on denim). So the weight doesn't exactly mean thickness, but there's a clear correlation. Silk thread might be TEX 10, threads you might use on a shirt are usually like TEX 30. Thread for jeans is going to be around TEX 60-70.

All cotton is authentic and not good for durability. All polyester can look fine or look really freaking tacky. Cotton wrapped poly or nylon core thread is a good compromise on looks and durability.

Contrary to what you might read on the board, chainstitching isn't really the deciding factor in roping. Using all cotton thread that hasn't been sanforized (preshrunk with steam in the factory), and using unsanforized denim matters a lot more. The thread shrinks, the denim shrinks, and because denim is weaved at 4:3 Warp:Weft, it angles off and achieves the roping look.

I'm writing this from memory, so if anybody knows better please post up and I'll edit.

How should I go about getting this fixed? The left side of the clasp just popped off and I took them to a tailor and they told me that they couldn't fix them.

96500245.jpg

59891842.jpg

stick a patch in between the layers, darn over it, put a new fastening on. instead of trying to make it as it was make it something you (cheese)

or you could put the thing back in and kindof weave a web around it darning it into place but unless you a neat stitcher it gonna look messy

There's nothing really special about it, it's just usually thicker. Thread can be measured a couple ways, but consider the TEX scale. It goes from 0-100 and measures the weight of the thread over a given distance (much like oz/yard on denim). So the weight doesn't exactly mean thickness, but there's a clear correlation. Silk thread might be TEX 10, threads you might use on a shirt are usually like TEX 30. Thread for jeans is going to be around TEX 60-70.

All cotton is authentic and not good for durability. All polyester can look fine or look really freaking tacky. Cotton wrapped poly or nylon core thread is a good compromise on looks and durability.

Contrary to what you might read on the board, chainstitching isn't really the deciding factor in roping. Using all cotton thread that hasn't been sanforized (preshrunk with steam in the factory), and using unsanforized denim matters a lot more. The thread shrinks, the denim shrinks, and because denim is weaved at 4:3 Warp:Weft, it angles off and achieves the roping look.

I'm writing this from memory, so if anybody knows better please post up and I'll edit.

Tex equals grams per 1000 meters. So, the larger the number the bigger the thread. 80 Tex is also common in jeans, and is equivalent to 7.38 Number English (the number of 840 yard hanks in a pound). It is about the same size as a typical warp yarn in 14 oz denim.

Interesting comment about thread shrinkage. Need to find out more about that.

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/sewing_machine.htm