Denim Repair

obsessis

sorry if this is in the wrong thread but since this is the repairing thread i feel this is where its most appropriate.

i was just wondering what are the symptoms of a crotch blowout, how long it took for it to finally rip, what i can do to prevent it, and some brands that are more prone to happen than others.

l_443d069c3df9478e8be78de133bba6b0.jpg

Double crotch blowout, holding up really well. I used a denim iron on patch on the left side of the picture, then reinforced it (I was on tour, and only had these patches). The other side i used Gap Morrison denim on, which is pretty heavy, and is holding up quite well.

how long did patch age from first photo to second?

they re different jawns. the aged one is several months old.

klue that is super cool.

anyways heres my crotch prevention explode. the hole was pretty visible but i fixed it up pretty well. patched with s5000vx denim

3208879040_dab591368e.jpg

from the outside it looks invisible and i also stitched the hole up.

3208879044_3650e7a0bc.jpg

As for this, the bottom of the backpocket threads became undone and i didnt notice all day long so you can see fading in between the double stitching from my wallet being there when the thread became undone. Wouldn't have repaired but it wouldve caused damage to the other thread under making a hole that will get wider and wider. Found out and stitched it up.

Also added the red tab just for fun from an old levis pair. Quite frustrating because the tab kept fraying and threading apart.:)

3208879024_0fa98d0074.jpg

I have my s710bk back! I tried repairing the crotch myself initially, but the damage turned out to be beyond my sewing skills, and then a hole/rip developed and they needed a patch job... My tailor Arlene did a good job, using the scraps that BiG kindly provided. I will probably sew that patch on a little more on the inside though.

p1190074yn7.jpg

Pretty much invisible from the outside:

p1190081wh0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cotton Duck asked if I'd share some pics of the crotch repair done on my Evisu Lot 2000...This isn't actually my work, it was done my a local bespoke tailor following my instructions.

I bike a lot, so needed a new crotch putting in to prevent the jeans from being torn apart. I had some old Evisu jeans, bought in a charity (thrift) shop, especially for this purpose so the denim used is D85 selvage denim. The reinforcement was done just before Christmas, and the jeans themselves have six months wear on them:

dscf1737.jpg

dscf1735.jpg

dscf1610jt4.jpg

dscf1731.jpg

It made more sense to get the repair done on the outside of the jeans as that way the 'new' denim would take the brunt of the wear and tear....

'I haven't seen jeans made like this for a long, long time...'!------im sure this statement alone from a tailor speaks volumes for the crafttsmanship. both the form and function of this repair are perfect.

could anyone recommend a good sewing machine to make repairs with? I'm preferably looking for something small/light weight.

DOMO!

Negative ghostrider, you want something all metal from the 1970's or earlier. Must have reverse, zigzag would be good but to get the nice blended/invisible patch jobs that line up with the warp thread you need reverse. Craigslist it.

• 2 weeks later...

Crotch repair on my KMW's by Denim Doctors. I've had a few pairs of jeans repaired by them, I'm always really impressed with the quality of their work.

IMG_0850_small.jpg

IMG_0851_small.jpg

IMG_0854_small.jpg

Cotton Duck asked if I'd share some pics of the crotch repair done on my Evisu Lot 2000...This isn't actually my work, it was done my a local bespoke tailor following my instructions.

I bike a lot, so needed a new crotch putting in to prevent the jeans from being torn apart. I had some old Evisu jeans, bought in a charity (thrift) shop, especially for this purpose so the denim used is D85 selvage denim. The reinforcement was done just before Christmas, and the jeans themselves have six months wear on them:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9079/dscf1737.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/7058/dscf1735.jpg

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/706/dscf1610jt4.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4345/dscf1731.jpg

It made more sense to get the repair done on the outside of the jeans as that way the 'new' denim would take the brunt of the wear and tear....

nice, pretty damn clean, i think i'll have to do these for basically all my pants from now on.