Denim Repair

obsessis

top of pocket detached and it got woven back together with the rainbow yarns, i still need to do the rim job

P1010433.jpg

''Contrary to what you might read on the board, chainstitching isn't really the deciding factor in roping. Using all cotton thread that hasn't been sanforized (preshrunk with steam in the factory), and using unsanforized denim matters a lot more. The thread shrinks, the denim shrinks, and because denim is weaved at 4:3 Warp:Weft, it angles off and achieves the roping look.''--raw workshop--

i see what youre talking about, since often times when im out denim-rubbernecking i see sick roping on jeans without any chainstitched hem. now i know BIG (gordon) uses unsanforized thread, and is usually working with unsanf. denim, but he turns the tension up on the ole' US to get even more roping. but im sure the thread and denim he's using are definately more contributive factors. ive e-mailed him twice in two weeks to get info on the superb thread he uses, but no reply yet. all i know for sure is that its from japan, and that no one in a fabric/sewing store here in town has seen anything of its like...dude, thanks a mill for the insight. as much as i smoke i should've contemplated that!

Oh yeah, how you handle the hem matters shit tons too. I'm not good with hems yet that I can hand roll hems (Ande Whall has been on this tip for a long while). Steaming, folding and pressing hems again screws organic looking roping too.

I wouldn't expect Gordon to provide that much info, industrial sourcing is world full of secrecy and wierdos.

sent some jeans to get a hole repaired near the hem. my only bitch is that the store ships via fedex ground and it costs 15.00 i tried to get them to use priority flat rate envelopes since that cost me less than 5.00 to ship the jeans tot them

IMG_8559.jpg

IMG_9547.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

IMG_9548.jpg

sent some jeans to get a hole repaired near the hem. my only bitch is that the store ships via fedex ground and it costs 15.00 i tried to get them to use priority flat rate envelopes since that cost me less than 5.00 to ship the jeans tot them

IMG_8559.jpg

IMG_9547.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg

IMG_9548.jpg

So I fell off my bike last night...

And I ended up with this nice bloody gash in my knee, and also my jeans...

Funny thing is that when I just got my first 7161's I also fell with my bike and have a lighter spot on exactly the same spot on my knee.

Repaired it already but figured I could take some pics while I was at it:

Not much to see in terms of fading, but it does show my whole "set-up"...

3390229672_2970155624_o.jpg

3390231460_48f1394280_o.jpg

And the hole, ripped straight through the denim, I'll spare you all the pic of my bloody knee...

3389418465_f599bc246f.jpg

Did a traditional hand repair, stitched a piece of the beautiful Cone "tweed" denim under it and then folded in the edges and stitched over those:

3390231934_f18a18639f_o.jpg

As good as new!

3390232844_c302cd6cbc.jpg

Repaired some holes in my brother's Slim Jims. Sorry, no before pics (didn't think to take any). I kind of realised straight away that you had to remove the back pocket in order to get at the holes with a machine, and my sewing ability isn't good enough to do it by hand. Lined the pocket with some store bought cheap 12 oz denim and stitched around the damaged parts. Tried to rivet the pocket back using plain aluminium sheet rivets (couldn't find any jeans rivets), popped out, so I bartacked it on the side. A little bit messy, but it's holds well, and my brother isn't complaining since the repair cost him nothing.

Some pics:

Nudiepocket1.jpg

The other pocket for comparison:

Nudiepocket2.jpg

The crotch:

Nudiecrotch.jpg

what denim are you using? extra fullcount denim?

it is 12.5 oz. cone mills redline selvage

I was wondering how you all went about contacting Denim Doctors? I've sent them three emails on pricing with no reply. If you had any work done there how much did it run you? I'm looking for a crotch reinforcement and a tapering, possibly.

i do crotch reinforcement if you want to send it to me ill fix them at a good price

This might be slightly off-topic, but might it be a good idea to compile a list of who has what denim off-cuts?

I know some might say denim is just that, but I'm sure a lot of people on here would like to be able to repair their jeans with denim that has similar fading properties as the original fabric...