Denim Repair

obsessis

Please advise on patching vs threading in....New Yorkers especially -- Has anyone heard of Denim Therapy? (http://denimtherapy.com)

It appears that they are New York based (according to yelp.com) but that they prefer doing their business via mail. I bring them up because their claim to fame is that they don't use patches. Here are some pics of my problem. I have started developing holes in my Diors and my Jil Sander Japanese Selvage pair. I don't like to wait until the holes rip open, I like to mend right away. I have repaired my RRLs and my Julian Reds. The RRLs, I got done by a talented girl at 45rpm back before they stopped repairing non-45rpm jeans. She used the nonpatch technique. The Julian Reds I got done by Ramon's Tailor when 45rpm stopped repairing other brands. They used the patch technique. My questions are -- Any particular argument for one technique or the other? Has anyone tried Denim Therapy?

Here are my Diors and a close up of the small hole:

diortip.jpg

diorbacktop.jpg

diorinsidecrotchrip.jpg

diorinsidecrotchripclose.jpg

and now my Jil Sanders and its hole:

jilsandertop.jpg

jilsandercrotchoutsiderip.jpg

JilSanderinsidecrotchrip.jpg

jilsanderinsidecrotchripclose.jpg

next post are my previous repairs

now examples of my previous repairs:

the RRLs which were "threaded" ---

RRLtop.jpg

RRLrepairclose.jpg

RRLinside.jpg

RRLrepairinsideclose.jpg

the Julian Reds which were patched --

julianredtop.jpg

julianredrepair.jpg

julianredrepairinside.jpg

julianredrepairinsideclose.jpg

any preference you guys? I think the threaded technique is much cooler. The patch in my Julians are a nuisance. It rubs up against my skin and is very irritating. I prefer the non patch technique but I don't know enough about Denim Therapy's services. Anyone who has tried them, please let me know if you liked their work.

The patch in my Julians are a nuisance. It rubs up against my skin and is very irritating.

you can trim the fabric back so that it isn't so floppy.

HTC repair in LA

after like 2.5 years on these guys, I finally needed a crotch repair and decided to get the back pocket fixed as well.

close up of the repair on the back pocket

before

3349598451_843095d93f.jpg

3514176844_b7250a5402.jpg

outside crotch repair

3513369441_fd2064afd1.jpg

inside

3513370193_bf66a906fe.jpg

PRPS's back pocket and zippo pocket

fixed the zippo pocket

3514181130_e0f90e0e2a.jpg

3514181758_ecd196f8d4.jpg

3513376263_a44f86cbe2.jpg

3513376915_74cec8eb5f.jpg

this is what it looked like before

3347986234_b3086e524a.jpg

No sewing machine available so I had to do them by hand...so they are a bit messy and not as high quality as I would have liked. I have some more minor repairs to do but these were the major ones I wanted to get done before washing.

Small hole starting in da butt

a32ba1b6.jpg

Fixed with the method shown at the beginning of this thread

3db3bc29.jpg

Frayed back pocket from wallet/keys

6c2f12dc.jpg

Fixed with some subtle selvage

6297d679.jpg

Pocket bag was ripping at the seam so I totally unstitched it before reinforcing it

d3b024c5.jpg

This is the piece of cotton that I used to reinforce with. It was a wash tag that was sewn into the pair of good society denim that I sacrificed

56ee5726.jpg

All sewn in

b80b3cbe.jpg

13065276.jpg

Both pocket bags on my LVC 47's are trashed, here's the outside of the repair on the left pocket (the inside is considerably less good looking :D)

P5130044.jpg

Pretty much just pulled up the lower torn portion and re-sewed, this is my first denim repair.

I used the thread from the scrapped hem on my wh x big 660's after i'd sent them to big to have them taken up on the inseam.

Sorry guys new here but will sagging your jeans a little bit delay the crotch wear down? I'm not talking about half way down my butt, like a tad bit so its not like hugging my ass.

CBK is right for the most part, I believe, but it also depends on how tight the jeans are, as moykky said. If the jeans are too tight when pulled fully up they will have quite a bit of stress put on them that way as well. I think it also depends on how you move in them when they're sagged. If you take broad steps and take 2 or more steps at a time on the stairs, they will be stressed out in the crotch quite a bit.

What is the best way to prevent this type of blowout?

Jeans.jpg

When I look at these spots from the inside I can see the material start to become all distorted. What do I tell a tailor if I want this fixed by a professional or what could I do?

EDIT: when you say reinforce do you mean just sew another layer of material underneath it?

Small repair job on my Imperial Kings.

This little spot was completely devoid of warp threads, was full of frayed bits and fuzz, and was thinning in the region around the forming hole.

I tried to make the repair as close to invisible as possible on the outside, by using black thread and making all of my stitches with the weave of the denim.

There are loads of stitches all over what fabric is left of the forming hole and also all over the first quarter inch or so of intact denim around the forming hole, but you cannot see them. Which I suppose is a measure of success. I also secured the patch with little stitches around its perimeter, but by snaking the exterior stitching along with the weave and by leaving it a little loose so as to avoid an externally visible tension on the fabric, it is not noticeable.

MyImage.jpg

MyImagep.jpg

MyImagedd.jpg

I removed the leather patch on my 1 month old flat head bsp and ineptly managed to remove part of a real seam. How should I repair this? Should I leave it? Should I take it to self edge to run a chainstitch over it - or is there something I can do by hand to prevent the threads from coming out more?

LAME, I know!

seamrip1.jpg

or you could just leave it since it's not really a functional stitch

Sorry I'm so ignorant when it comes to sewing, but how should this be repaired? I understand it's not a chain stitch, so any tailor/seamstress could go over it with a machine, but what can they do to keep the broken thread from opening up more? Just curious.

Thanks

PS, anyone know a good repair person in San Francisco for this?

Ok, denim repair question for experts -

I have a pair of zip fly jeans that are made from unsanforized denim. After a couple soaks in warm water the zipper has buckled, as I knew it would, and now forms a wave, rather than a perfectly straight line. This I find incredibly irritating. I really want to get the zipper back to it's original form, although I realize that this is impossible. My assumption is that the fabric the zipper is stitched to shrunk, and that is what caused the buckling. So, my question is: is it possible to replace the zipper with another nice vintage Talon zip that I find and will this solve my problem? Or would the zipper sort of buckle like that over time with wear regardless? Or is it actually the fabric that is forming the wave, not the zipper itself, so replacing the zipper would not make any difference?

Can anyone help me out here?