Denim Repair

obsessis

x-post from samurai thread.

Wow, wow, wow. Denim therapy is amazing. For reference:

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended

http://denimtherapy.com/

so i guess the previous skepticism that those guys don't really "know" premium denim was unfounded. i will keep them in mind for repairs in the future, although it is annoying that they don't have a drop off/pick up service since they are in brooklyn and i could save money on shipping.

superb repair job. those are the best 501s ive ever seen, i think. those are beyond. i need to see more pics from this magazine.

i think they're a pair of 13 year old levi's 1947 501 he mentions them in a different interview

pic is taken from GQ sept 2008

it is annoying that they don't have a drop off/pick up service since they are in brooklyn and i could save money on shipping.

No fucking kidding. For almost 5 years I lived in the same zip code, like barely a quarter mile from their location... Meh.

Here are some minor repairs I did to my Red-Ds... I'm just learning to sew. Not perfect, but it will work! Had to redo the whole back pocket basically because both lines of stitch were coming out. I don't know about all cotton stitching sometimes...

Anyway, thanks for all the great posts! It's nice to get ideas on how to do some of this stuff at home.

P1000810.jpg

P1000811.jpg

P1000812.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sent my jeans to the Denim Doctors for repairs. They did a superb job. I did not think my crotch area was in that bad of shape, but thinking back, it was getting really thin. By the way, I took a lot of these pictures with flash so the repairs are more noticeable than they are in regular lighting.

Before:

Extremely thin, and stitching coming apart.

IMG_7923.jpg

After:

IMG_7976.jpg

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg

These repairs were done by my mom haha.

Before:

IMG_7925.jpg

IMG_7928.jpg

After:

IMG_7979.jpg

I don't have a before of the other side, but it wasn't as bad. Here's the after though:

IMG_7982.jpg

I don't have a before of the coin pocket either, but there was a hole.

After:

IMG_7985.jpg

I didn't have any denim lying around so my mom just sewed in random fabric.

IMG_7986.jpg

Another small repair to the back pocket from where my leather tether attaches to the wallet and rubs.

IMG_7988.jpg

Probably more to come.

Some minor hand repairs to my Flat Head 380's.

Some crotch reinforcement. The inside seams were fraying.

8-12-09-F380-04.jpg

Inside. I just used some scrap denim from the fabric store.

8-12-09-F380-05.jpg

The back belt loop was getting eaten though by my belt, so I fixed it with some scrap PBJ XX-009 denim.

8-12-09-F380-06.jpg

sent in my jeans to denim doctors today (nyc) how long should i expect this to take?

wait. there's a denim doctors here in nyc? i thought they were in LA.

we have denim *therapy* here in nyc, but as far as i know, no denim doctors.

My Edwins have a few small 1-2cm holes in the crotch which are slowly getting bigger.

I'm in Melbourne and have seen heaps of tailors in malls who offer invisible repairs etc but don't know if they are any good with denim.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tailors in Melb?

thanks

sent in my jeans to denim doctors today (nyc) how long should i expect this to take?

Mine took about three weeks, including shipping time. I sent them Monday, July 13 and got them back August 3 or 4. But this turn-around time probably depends on the amount of jeans they currently have to fix and the extent of the repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, my new shit is patching the ''whiter/lighter'' areas with the weft-side out. it's less jarring, esp. on the arse, and it won't take as long to fade to match the surrounding fabric. you'll see what i mean as soon as i can get some pics up...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...