Denim Repair

obsessis

SExDBxS09, 7.5 months. The problem:

IMG_0684.JPG

The proposed solution:

repairs%20with%20tag.JPG

(Sunday was a stormy stormy day, so I allowed my obsessive compulsiveness/neuroticism free rein). I decided to finally make use of the red D-BONES tab that I discovered in the coin pocket when I bought the jeans.

Working by headlamp when the power went out:

IMG_0713.JPG

The end result:

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Using leftover denim from hemming, and thread from the original hems.

I'm stoked that I (completely unintentionally) cut and applied the patch-denim on the horizontal bias, whereas the denim of the pocket and leg are vertical - should be cool to watch how it fades differently.

I have a handful more process photos if there's interest

^well done dkatz!

when using denim patches i always have the problem that the edges start to get lose and fray after some time. does this just happen to everyone or is there a trick to keep the denim patches from fraying?

is folding the edges seems a possibilty , but not easy to do when handstitching. is this the way to go?

Thanks for the complements! I enjoyed the shit out of the process

when using denim patches i always have the problem that the edges start to get lose and fray after some time. does this just happen to everyone or is there a trick to keep the denim patches from fraying?

is folding the edges seems a possibilty , but not easy to do when handstitching. is this the way to go?

I feel you. I actually found I could be pretty successful at folding over the edges of the patch. I made a paper stencil of the patch, traced it onto the denim, then cut it out plus about a 4cm border. I then cut out the corners of this border and folded the resulting flaps behind the patch. I used pliers to set in the creases then used (of all tools...) my flatmate's hair-straightening iron to make the creases as sharp as possible. It actually worked remarkably well:

IMG_0706.JPG

Unfortunately, as you can see if you look closely on the detail photo of the after photo (patch sewed to jeans), I wound up with some of the denim-edge sticking out, particularly on the lower-right and top-right. This was because when I had already attached the left side, I realized the patch wasn't quite wide enough to cover the area I intended, so I had to unfold a bit of the denim on the right side.

You can see, on the lower-left for example, that folding and creasing the patch before applying does give a nice clean edge when it's stitched on. It does mean you have to push through an extra layer of denim, but all told I think it's the way to go!

I don't have any pre-repair photo's, but here it is, i just had small hole i wanted to prevent from getting bigger..

_IGP1996.jpg

_IGP2002.jpg

used 1972 deadstock levi's fabric

you did a good job mate, you managed to cover your jeans well :D

^well done dkatz!

what dkatz said about folding over, but if you don't have an iron or straightener, i just did some simple stitches to secure the fold, and then sewed the patch on.

Well I don't know how you guys spend your Saturday nights but here was last weeks doings.

4060093446_e80e295a29_o.jpg

Red wine and leftovers

and

4060094392_80b02c32e8_o.jpg

an old Singer 15/19/whatever. I picked it up from a Salvation Army for 27 dollars, dropped some oil in it and it is a goddamned monster.

It was mine back at school in Syracuse, I had no room for it in the car so I gave it told this dude in my apartment building that his pregnant girlfriend could have the machine if she wanted. And I left. And a few weeks ago I went back, for homecoming. Preggers lady went to baby daddy "what if this baby doesn't look like you?"

:eek:

She ran away, leaving my beautiful machine in the cold dark hallway. And thus my homecoming sewing machine rescue was born.

Anyways.

4059349661_9551cd53ee_o.jpg

4060094528_aaca1c5b69_o.jpg

4059352795_7677f2090c_o.jpg

I always +rep this kind of repair because I suck so fucking bad at it. The sewing machine is my way.

4059349515_6525dc8c12_o.jpg

4059409147_f68b9bd33e_o.jpg

Moleskin/iPhone damage

4060093922_736d2152e9_o.jpg

Reinforced the bottom, patched the corner

4060096790_d8912b0092_o.jpg

Other pocket just needed some lovin'

4059352061_0fcc4562af_o.jpg

4060096488_4a48b9d849_o.jpg

4059351291_f60a1eb2ed_o.jpg

Normally I'd have gone for a much more elegant repair than this, but you remember the redwine. You see, the red wine went much faster than the repairs and so I just added some more belt loop I had in the sewing drawer.

4060096648_4bfa92700b_o.jpg

And some boring crotch repairs, no pics.

So despite wildstyle's excellent recommendation of Stanton Tailors, I went to Denim Surgeon. I don't live in the city any more, so when I do have to go in, it's to do other things, and I didn't have any errands that ran that far downtown, so, I thought I'd take one for the team and check DS out.

Here are some before shots:

crotch hole starting:

crotchbefore-1.jpg

interior shot (don't know if you can see the denim wearing thin at the seat):

int-1.jpg

exterior seat:

seatbefore-1.jpg

And here are the repair shots:

cotch hole closed:

crotchrepair-1.jpg

interior shot:

seatint-1.jpg

exterior seat:

seatext-1.jpg

They even overlocked the patch:

seatdeets.jpg

I'm happy with what they did, even though it was more expensive than I anticipated. They even used 3 pieces to reiforce the insides, instead of one big piece, so that it'd be less stiff and move better. If you have expensive denim, and you don't trust/can't be bothered yourself with repairs, I'd check them out.

So despite wildstyle's excellent recommendation of Stanton Tailors, I went to Denim Surgeon. I don't live in the city any more, so when I do have to go in, it's to do other things, and I didn't have any errands that ran that far down, so, I thought I'd take one for the team and check DS out.

So here are some before shots:

crotch hole starting:

crotchbefore-1.jpg

interior shot (don't know if you can see the denim wearing thin at the seat):

int-1.jpg

exterior seat:

seatbefore-1.jpg

And here are the repair shots:

cotch hole closed:

crotchrepair-1.jpg

interior shot:

seatint-1.jpg

exterior seat:

seatext-1.jpg

They even overlocked the patch:

seatdeets.jpg

I'm happy with what they did, even though it was more expensive than I anticipated. They even used 3 pieces to reiforce the insides, instead of one big piece, so that it'd be less stiff and move better. If you have expensive denim, and you don't trust/can't be bothered yourself with repairs, I'd check them out.

how much did the repairs run you?

yes, it has been posted and discussed. this thread isn't even all that long, dude.

SExI04s repiared yoke with 100% polyester Gutterman thread, more pics in scones (http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2055953#post2055953)

Good job on those repairs. I realize it's just a few stitches, but it looks like you put in a lot of care and effort.

Repairs are repairs, but it aggravates me when they end up looking like the repairer didn't give a shit about being clean and crisp.

+rep