Denim Repair

obsessis

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_0135.jpg

I have found that if I patch my knee holes like this that the center portion of the denim can still snag on crap and rip, so i basically will stitch through the center of the denim as well. It will hold those loose threads together.

This is the repair job I did on my warehouse 660s. Notice that I stitch over the denim hole so that the hole is strengthened a bit.

WarehouseJuly08002023_20perc.jpg

same principle applies to knee patch :

prpSmp2.jpg

Xposted from MN :

^okey, you got 2 ways of doing this. let's do the hard way 1st :

*invisible stitch [w/o patch]: reinforcing the fraying weft by inserting thread/stitch under & through the weave... more difficult and time consuming.

RenfoWeave.jpg

General Patching Instruction : 1) prep patch by manually serging the edges [to prevent from fraying] :: 2) stitch behind/under the fabric. try making short stitch lenght [in between weaves] on the outside & use light grey thread [preferably 100% cotton] cuz it blends in [less conspicuous].

patch.jpg

**crotch repair : it depends on the extent of the fix. if fabric is still intact, but thinning/fraying, patch under as it'd look cleaner on the outside. if you got a gaping hole, does not matter if you patch over or under. just make sure to cover all [compromised] areas, so you don't need to redo.

in your case, you need a bigger swatch to cover both sides. [black dots to show stitchway].

zIMG_18141.jpg

***here's a combination of patching over & under:

IMG_0494x.jpg

I have found that if I patch my knee holes like this that the center portion of the denim can still snag on crap and rip, so i basically will stitch through the center of the denim as well. It will hold those loose threads together.

This is the repair job I did on my warehouse 660s. Notice that I stitch over the denim hole so that the hole is strengthened a bit.

so you prefer patching under the hole than over the hole. any specific reason?

I caught the back of my jacket on something and managed to pull the donut button right through the placket (fuuuuuuuu......). Now I have an L-shaped tear where the button used to be and no donut button.

I was thinking of fixing it with a sewing machine by using a satin stitch but then I would still have to reattach the donut button. How is this done? How would you learned gentlemen advise dealing with the tear?

Thanks.

sewing noob here......

can you serge the edges of a patch by hand? ive been searching teh interwebz for instructions on stitching.. and they all point to sewing machine.

also, what would be the best choice to stitch through the middle of the patch, to really adhere it to the denim.

thankszszszszzzzzs and shit

edit: i do realize there is a close-up picture of the stitching around the patch quoted a few posts above, but my brain needs step by step, "put needle heeere and then here" shit.

thanks again.....

anyone use them before? about to send a pair to get hemmed.

My name is Robert Schaeffer and I have run Denim Doctors for almost 4 years. I have left and started my own company that does all the denim repair and alteration on site in a huge store on Sunset Blvd. I also am set up to do start to finish denim manufacturing on site. Denim Doctors is a great company that I helped re-build so if you love them then stay with them. But if you know me through dealing with me I want to let everybody know where I am at. I have all the chain stiching machines, invisible repair machines, bar tacking equipment etc.. i don't post ever so this is a one time thing for me. I carry the same deal that all SUFU customers pay no shipping going back and will have 10% off all repairs and alterations. Email or contact me for more info, thanks.

Schaeffers Garment Hotel & The Denim Repair Shop

7517 W. Sunset Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90046

P: 323-798-4310

[email protected]

www.schaeffersgarmenthotel.com ( site will be published on 1/23/10)

denime crotch reinforcement: threads were getting a bit loose, so i got to is before it really became an issue: when you are in a 2 year contest an ounce of prevention is worth 10 lbs. of cure... BiG thread(big ups to gordon) yellow bartack is denimes factory bartack, which is much neater. thanx hayashi-san! there's also one underneath the bottom fly button in place of a crotch rivet. i like.

85719551.jpg

recommend them. sent a pair for a chainstitch and got them back a week later. shipping took longer than the actual process. just email or call them and Robert will set you up right.

My name is Robert Schaeffer and I have run Denim Doctors for almost 4 years. I have left and started my own company that does all the denim repair and alteration on site in a huge store on Sunset Blvd. I also am set up to do start to finish denim manufacturing on site. Denim Doctors is a great company that I helped re-build so if you love them then stay with them. But if you know me through dealing with me I want to let everybody know where I am at. I have all the chain stiching machines, invisible repair machines, bar tacking equipment etc.. i don't post ever so this is a one time thing for me. I carry the same deal that all SUFU customers pay no shipping going back and will have 10% off all repairs and alterations. Email or contact me for more info, thanks.

Schaeffers Garment Hotel & The Denim Repair Shop

7517 W. Sunset Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90046

P: 323-798-4310

[email protected]

www.schaeffersgarmenthotel.com ( site will be published on 1/23/10)

didn't realise there was a thread like this. cross post from the skulls thread.

bought these skull 5010xx 6x6 off someone from the forum for a good deal. had to get the pockets repaired though. sent them to a reliable local tailor. job done for 14SGD which is approx 9USD for 2 pockets. here they are.

_MG_0667.jpg

_MG_0669.jpg

mended:

_MG_0677.jpg

_MG_0678.jpg

so you prefer patching under the hole than over the hole. any specific reason?

Sorry for the ridiculously late reply, but the main reason i prefer patches on the inside is for aesthetic reasons. I don't really like the "Patchwork" look of some jeans. It especially looks weird if you just have two patches on the knees. maybe if it was somewhere else, like the crotch, but for some reason my knees are always the first to go out.

Canadians, where do you have your denim repaired? Any reliable places in Canada? Any experiences sending to the US? I live in Sask, so not a lot of options close by. I'm debating between Denim Doctors, Schaeffer's, and Denim Therapy. My APC's have a crotch rip, and a few other small holes. With shipping costs in mind, not looking to spend a shitload.

Canadians, where do you have your denim repaired? Any reliable places in Canada? Any experiences sending to the US? I live in Sask, so not a lot of options close by. I'm debating between Denim Doctors, Schaeffer's, and Denim Therapy. My APC's have a crotch rip, and a few other small holes. With shipping costs in mind, not looking to spend a shitload.

Call Sydney's in Toronto. I get all my denim alterations done there and they mail take them in by mail if you ask. Sydney is doing his own denim line and used to custom tailored jeans.

Call Sydney's in Toronto. I get all my denim alterations done there and they mail take them in by mail if you ask. Sydney is doing his own denim line and used to custom tailored jeans.

Called Sydney's, and they were very helpful. Gonna send them my jeans. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks! +rep

I want to do a little crotch repair/reinforcing with some spare denim I have to hand on a couple of pairs of jeans, will hand stitching be alright or should I use a sewing machine? (I've never used a sewing machine before.)

I want to do a little crotch repair/reinforcing with some spare denim I have to hand on a couple of pairs of jeans, will hand stitching be alright or should I use a sewing machine? (I've never used a sewing machine before.)

I've found that using another piece of denim for a crotch repair ends up a little too bulky. I've had good luck using a fairly thin piece of cotton. If you've never used a sewing machine, cut up an old pair of cheap jeans and practice, then do the repair. Here's my first attempt from a while back. Fucked it up a little - but it's held up great.

img1024a.jpg

img1023n.jpg

I don't know if this qualifies as denim repair or not, but I have a metal tag that came riveted on an old pair of D&G jeans my brother gave me, and it ripped off.

I was wondering if it'd be easy to rivet it onto another pair (my APC's) or if i'd need to take it to somebody professional.

Although if it's easy to do, I'm not exactly sure how i'd get the materials. Any advice?

I have never seen them at a hardware store. Quality denim rivets are hard to come by and that dude is the only person I have found that sells good ones in quantities less than 10,000.