Denim Repair

obsessis

um i think the one on the left took me about 3 hours and the one on the right about 4. i did the one on the left during an 8 hour car ride so that wasn't too bad. the other i did while watching tv so it was just hanging out. i definitely would look into a repair service if they totally destroyed but i believe in a little hard work goes away. i use 100% cotton and it fades with every wash so i feel it is a part of the wabi sabi that is raw denim.

• 2 weeks later...

The Flat Head 3001 World Tour jeans were in need of a bit of East African loving.

Crotch:

IMG_3098.jpg

Brought them to my homey Jane and let her have her way with them... "Gifted Designers". Love it

IMG_3117.jpg

Pretty damn impressed with the results!

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3210.jpg

The knee was also looking a bit worse for the wear.

IMG_3099.jpg

I decided I wanted the 3001's to show their travels with a little bit of African flavor, so I replicated a repair I did to my SExDBxS09.

Step 1. Pick out patching fabric

IMG_3104.jpg

You may recognize this fabric from a shirt I've been seen sporting

Step 2. Position the fabric and pin it in place

IMG_3105.jpg

Step 3. Stitch stitch stitch!

IMG_3107.jpg

Step 4. Done!

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3110.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Will go trough this thread to scour for techniques, anyone have any suggestions on fixing Crotch repairs? I did a minor repair with just trying to rough stitch the hole but its not totally working all that well.

I have 2 pairs that need this done so ill get some good practice.

Just had the crotch repaired on my '27 501's by my gf's mother. She cut out patches from a piece of scrap denim and affixed them on the inside with fabric glue to 'stabilize' the rips. Then she stitched blue yarn over the ripped and patched zone from the outside. It's very well done, hardly noticable at all.

It doesn't seem like a job for a beginner though...

Another question, perhaps not a repair in the strictest sense, but still:

The clasp of the cinches on my 1890's and 1917's just keep falling off because the metal is so *$/%% flimsy it can't hold its shape. Any suggestions?

Another question, perhaps not a repair in the strictest sense, but still:

The clasp of the cinches on my 1890's and 1917's just keep falling off because the metal is so *$/%% flimsy it can't hold its shape. Any suggestions?

THe LVC ones are indeed rubbish. Buy a new one from RIver Junction/ Get the brass effect one, leave it in acetone then vinegar and it will turn out to be steel.

Nice thread!

My Filippa K's (Swedish brand) crotch ripped pretty badly after a night out. Funny thing was that I didn't notice anything before next morning (wasn't that drunk really) so I really have no clue when or how it happened.. They are made of Chinese selvage denim. Here's something about it:

http://repeattofade.blogspot.com/2007/07/quiz-resolve.htm

Jeans were bought in february 2007 and used till end of the year and few times in 2010. Soaked these first time in end of october and this happened about a week after that, so don't know if there's some connection.

This is how they saw out after that:

148316_504000564638_296700077_64858_2384750_n.jpg

and repaired:

IMG_4130.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

inside:

IMG_4322.JPG

Some smaller repairs done before and then used some double-folded leftover denim on the bigger hole.

• 3 weeks later...

it's finally getting ridiculous, and i'm in need of a crotch repair. now, do you guys think there's a simple way for me to repair them myself, or are they in need of a visit to a tailor? how difficult is the 45rpm style repair? would that even work on these? thanks sufu.

5351925243_77ed457229_z.jpg

i was just concerned about finding one out here. never been to a tailor before, and haven't heard of any good ones. i'll do some searching now though. thanks!

X-post from Eternal 811 contest

just repaired a busted belt loop...

after the repair... there's no more raised belt loop... well.. at least for that particular one..

choice of thread: Daiwa Samurai 20lb test Braid Fishing Line

Why? it's strong and I'm sick of the pure cotton shit... how da heck would my jeans last 2 years... we're not even @ 4 months yet..

these are not the regular monofilament lines (aka the plastic clear ones), these are woven with 8 strands of fibre... so.. they are strong...

description for pictures in order:

1. taking the fishing line off my Shimano Stradic Ci4 reel...

2. Damage

3. Outside post repair

4. Inside post repair, if you look hard enough, I looped the fishing line back through the loops thus looking back the threads to prevent it from coming out..

web.jpg?ver=12950496480001

web.jpg?ver=12950496490001

web.jpg?ver=12950499860001

web.jpg?ver=12950500050001

• 2 weeks later...

The inside crotch and fly of my new WarehouseXJcrew are fraying, as you can see in the pics.

3razk.jpg

b7kk89.jpg

The areas in question are supposed to be folded over and then stitched (see comparison pic), but these were simply stitched along the raw edge of the denim, leading to fraying.

2hevwci.jpg

Anyone know a way to prevent this from getting worse? Thanks

so i've got some pretty big holes in the back pockets of my apcs. now i know i can patch it up with pieces of other denim, but my local tailor offers a service that uses mattress ticking to repair holes (i forget the name of the technique. i had it done for my crotch reinforcement). which technique should i do? i've never really seen the results of the "mattress ticking" repair so that's why i'm a little hesitant to do it. any words of advice would be rad.

rsz1rsz2dsc0983copy.jpg