Denim Repair

obsessis

now now....let's not be so clique-ish as to start ganging up on the newbie. Rep points aside, he's not totally out of line for stating his reaction (however snide it may be) -- I too think using black thread like that is unattractive and I'm willing to bet there aren't a ton of people here who would be happy with their repairs looking like that (Although I give him mad props for being able to do that himself)

I too think using black thread like that is unattractive

You're right. I would have color matched the thread if the repair were in a visible area, but it's not so I didn't. Either way, when pants are this trashed I'm more interested in keeping them together than what it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my second attempt at a crotch repair. This time it was done on my FH1001's. I think this repair is a bit cleaner and neater (still far from professional) than the repair I did on my Samurai's a few pages back =)

The SINGER machine I use does not have the ability to sew backward/forward therefore I have to sew in random directions.

IMG_20110517_094527.jpg

IMG_20110517_094631.jpg

My jeans at 6 months are in dire need of some repair at the crotc.

I would like to try fixing them myself though.

However, my sewing machine does not have any zigzag stiching.

Only single stitch.

Would s3lam's method be what I want to do? Thanks!

As ThinFinn said I am just using normal thread to sew a piece of denim (old GAP denim) onto the area that needs reinforcement so that the small hole and thinning denim doesn't tear into something more substantial down the road. The zig zagging is a result of just changing sewing direction. It is actually quite simple and you could do this by hand if you really want to but would take a bit more time however the end result would be basically the same.

I actually did a couple repairs by hand a while back on my LVC47's. However it was not a crotch repair. I needed to reinforce the area near the hem. Each leg had small tears where I cuffed the jeans and in some areas the denim was thinning.

Here are the pics.

IMGP1936.jpg

IMGP1945.jpg

IMGP1937.jpg

IMGP1946.jpg

Just in case here is the original thread

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?p=2128171#post2128171

Is there a consensus on just how many repairs is "too much" and that it should be a sign to retire the pair? After 2 extensive repairs on the front and then back crotch area on my Denimes, the yoke seam around the area of reinforcement and now back pockets are starting to unravel. I'm kinda not feeling them anymore and just want to hang them up. How many times is too much?

Is there a consensus on just how many repairs is "too much" and that it should be a sign to retire the pair? After 2 extensive repairs on the front and then back crotch area on my Denimes, the yoke seam around the area of reinforcement and now back pockets are starting to unravel. I'm kinda not feeling them anymore and just want to hang them up. How many times is too much?

No rules, it's an individual, subjective thing. If you don't want to wear them anymore then leave them and wear something else, you may come back to them later, you may not.

It also depends how you feel about the jeans. For one pair, a single repair may signify the end, for another you may patch them multiple times and wear them to death.

Scored a sewing machine from my mother-in-law. Once I get my bearings with it I can dismantle stuff a bit for repairs.

001-4.jpg

The belt drive looks like it could mess you up bad :eek:

002-3.jpg

As ThinFinn said I am just using normal thread to sew a piece of denim (old GAP denim) onto the area that needs reinforcement so that the small hole and thinning denim doesn't tear into something more substantial down the road. The zig zagging is a result of just changing sewing direction. It is actually quite simple and you could do this by hand if you really want to but would take a bit more time however the end result would be basically the same.

Thank you and ThinFinn.

Will be attempting crotch repair after I do a soak this weekend.

I'll have before and after pictures up too :]

• 2 weeks later...

My jeans are starting to rip in the seat area of the jeans between the two backpockets but the backrise is okay and i dont know how i should sew the denim to patch the rips. Should i sew the denim into the backpockets or just try and sewing around it? I dont have any pictures so i know its going to be hard to understand

My jeans are starting to rip in the seat area of the jeans between the two backpockets but the backrise is okay and i dont know how i should sew the denim to patch the rips. Should i sew the denim into the backpockets or just try and sewing around it? I dont have any pictures so i know its going to be hard to understand

maybe unstitch the backpockets and sew them back on after the repair has been made? idk... maybe not good advice.

maybe unstitch the backpockets and sew them back on after the repair has been made? idk... maybe not good advice.