Denim Repair

obsessis

Posted · Hidden by oohboi, April 5, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by oohboi, April 5, 2012 - No reason given

this.

I need some repairs done in chicago. I tried this place called Ji's by NEIU but their work was subpar on my average joe's so I do not want want to go back.

Has this ever been answered? I would love to find a place in Chicago that can do this work.

this.

i need some repairs done in chicago. i tried this place called ji's by neiu but their work was subpar on my average joe's so i do not want want to go back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not logged into SUFU in a while but after reading this thread I thought I would re-introduce myself. I am Robert Schaeffer and own Schaeffers Garment Hotel In Hollywood , CA. I just want to leave my information for anyone that has questions about denim repair and cant get their answers from the vast knowledge already on this forum. There are a handfull of great repair companys out there and if you have one you love then we encourage you to contact them but if not let me know if I can be of help.

Robert Schaeffer

[email protected]

I have not logged into SUFU in a while but after reading this thread I thought I would re-introduce myself. I am Robert Schaeffer and own Schaeffers Garment Hotel In Hollywood , CA. I just want to leave my information for anyone that has questions about denim repair and cant get their answers from the vast knowledge already on this forum. There are a handfull of great repair companys out there and if you have one you love then we encourage you to contact them but if not let me know if I can be of help.

Robert Schaeffer

[email protected]

i had my jeans chainstitched there and can vouch for them.

prob will be taking another pair there next month when im in town

are there any other places in London that I can get my jeans chainstiched?

I know of Son of Stag.

The new Edwin shop in Charlotte Rd has a Union Special but I don't know whether it's up and running yet or even if they're using it for general hemming for punters; in any case, it's only around the corner from Son of a Stag.

Alternatively you have Carey at Department of Works, but that's via post, similarly Denim Doctor in Manchester. I think that's it for the UK chainstitching options.

• 4 weeks later...

Found a quasi-darning how-to by a corny mother/daughter team. Their technique uses backer and zig-zag stitching on a basic home machine. It won't get you the fabric match or the true darn you'd get from Self Edge or Denim Therapy, but it looks really good for simple repairs at home.

Fun starts at 4:20. I don't think these two even know they're dabbling into some dope shit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yes, they accept jeans for repair through the mail. little frustrated with them though. I sent them a pair of jeans back on June 29th (i called on the 28th and was told turn around time was 5 to 7 days), they called me on July 12th to tell me the jeans were done and to get my credit card info to pay for the repairs (and they ran my card that day) and here it is 10 days later and I still haven't gotten my jeans. called them two days ago and left a message but haven't heard back.

dunno if i've posted here, but here's some DIY repairs/maintenance to save money. once you get your mind around it, it's actually a fun way to unwind.

me, i'd get juiced up & crank the music up ... or @times, mend while watching tv... or w/e.

*invisible stitch [w/o patch]: reinforcing the fraying weft by inserting thread/stitch under & through the weave... more difficult and time consuming.

RenfoWeave.jpg

General Patching Instruction : 1) prep patch by manually serging the edges [to prevent from fraying] :: 2) stitch behind/under the fabric. try making short stitch lenght [in between weaves] on the outside & use light grey thread [preferably 100% cotton] cuz it blends in [less conspicuous].

patch.jpg

**crotch repair : it depends on the extent of the fix. if fabric is still intact, but thinning/fraying, patch under as it'd look cleaner on the outside. if you got a gaping hole, does not matter if you patch over or under. just make sure to cover all [compromised] areas, so you don't need to redo.

in your case, you need a bigger swatch to cover both sides. [black dots to show stitchway].

zIMG_18141.jpg

***here's a combination of patching over & under:

IMG_0494x.jpg

z710crotch.jpg

Edited by BrownMetallic

finally heard back from them on the 23rd saying they'd been shipped on the 21st. the delay was because of some sort of issue with the postal service. still haven't gotten them, so I'm guessing they didn't actually ship until the 23rd. what I'd figured would be a week and a half is going to wind up taking a month. fucking A.

finally heard back from them on the 23rd saying they'd been shipped on the 21st. the delay was because of some sort of issue with the postal service. still haven't gotten them, so I'm guessing they didn't actually ship until the 23rd. what I'd figured would be a week and a half is going to wind up taking a month. fucking A.

I had the same problem with the postal service and was getting real frustrated too. Their craftsmanship though is pretty impressive so I stuck with them and will probably continue to use them. The guy was genuinely apologetic about it. Also I didn't mind too much because it's kinda fun when the main pair goes on vacation and you can wear another pair that has been patiently waiting in the rotation line.

Guest INDIGO QUEEN

1240331773_6a9b3b6066.jpg

1276845851_c4e971172b_m.jpg

1277712946_7f02e60b60_m.jpg

My jeans look a bit like this with the patches but I don't think it's cool - I just did it to preserve the life of the jeans.

When my new ones arrive the patched ones will just be for staying home or when the new pair are being washed.

Worn jeans look great - they tell your story but I don't think holes are a good look as its difficult to match a top to them.

yes, they accept jeans for repair through the mail. little frustrated with them though. I sent them a pair of jeans back on June 29th (i called on the 28th and was told turn around time was 5 to 7 days), they called me on July 12th to tell me the jeans were done and to get my credit card info to pay for the repairs (and they ran my card that day) and here it is 10 days later and I still haven't gotten my jeans. called them two days ago and left a message but haven't heard back.

Sorry to hear that, setterman. I never had that issue with them when I was using them but then I haven't sent anything out that way in about a year. I've been fortunate enough to have Raleigh Denim nearby and they've been able to do most of my hemming. Steven at railcar has done some repair work for me as well, and he did a fantastic job on tapering a pair of post o alls jeans I bought on the cheap through eBay.

finally got the jeans back on saturday the 28th. Don't know what the hold up was the for the first week on Schaeffer's end, but the second week was the USPS. They accepted them on the 23rd, were scheduled to deliver on the 25th (when I got the tracking # and was able to see what was going on) but didn't come until the 28th. Bright lining, Schaeffer's did excellent work, and fixed them exactly the way I wanted. Took some pix with my iphone that don't really show the repairs that well, will try to get some better pictures and share.

Schaeffer's made an offer to make up for the long wait, but I felt like their offer would be taking advantage of them, so I didn't take it. If they do any future work for me, I'll just ask them to knock a couple bucks off.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...