Denim Repair

obsessis

My Imperial Kings recently needed pretty serious repairs. Story is that I picked them up size 30, knowing that I should have gotten them as 32. Anyways, sizing down caused them to be pretty tight in the waist and thighs. Now after about a year and a half of jamming my hands into the pockets, the front left pocket blew out.

imperialkingspocketsufupc4.jpg

imperialkingspocketbefoqc7.jpg

I don't wear these jeans any more, and haven't worn them in the last couple months since the pocket began to explode. Nonetheless I took them to my tailor to have them repaired and this is the result.

imperialkingspocketaftefn1.jpg

imperialkingspocketaftelv8.jpg

I'm not too sure what I think about how they turned out, but don't really know how they should have been repaired otherwise. Just thought to post the picks in case anyone else ever has this problem.

I need to do that with one of my eternal buttons. How did you do it?

It's a double layer of looping. I'll try my best to explain it...

Let's say there are two sides you could sew on, Side A and Side B, You stick the needle through A and it comes out B. Then, instead of sticking it back through B, you bring the needle through the button hole and go through Side A again. This makes the thread cover the exposed area. Just repeat that a bunch of times and it'll build up to look something like a machine sewn button hole. I recommend you "clean and dress" the area as best you can before you start so you know where to sew. Clip the stray and fraying threads and it'll be nice and clean.

Shit giantsdrink, that is a serious freaking tear! Never seen that before. I'm not really a fan of the repair, they actually look better unrepaired IMO.

Serious is right... the tear started really small, and if I was smart I would have pre-emptively repaired them, much like a crotch blowout.

Maybe just cleaning up the frayed threads and re-inforcing the surrounding area would have been better. That way the thigh would still look scarred, but a little rough around the edges

Going totally unrepaird could have been a good idea too though... but the only thing that would suck about doing that, is that the threads were un-ravelling pretty quickly. Before long I think I wouldn't have any right thigh left.

Whoe'er suggested 45RPM, I owe you rep until the box says "NO MO!" I had crotch blowout as well as huge rips along the bottom of the cuffs I always wear with them. The repairs were NOT cheap ($70!) but were well worth it. They were essentially unwearable before..

There's a link at the bottom to all the photos, if anyone's curious. I'll just post 4 highlights here:

Crotch, outside:

2390218945_6e18e19f9c_m.jpg

Crotch, inside:

2390219361_5fbc862e48_m.jpg

Cuff, outside:

2391051976_f841fc1ec3_m.jpg

Cuff, inside:

2391052846_e4c2481d8f_m.jpg

Full pix here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16458870@N00/sets/72157604398680100/detail/

I also saw some $750 Jomons made of AI denim which were so gorgeous. <sigh> So outside my price range. O well, enjoy the repairs!

My mom used to do repairs and alterations, she told me to not patch it with other denim esp in the crotch area because it can be quite bulky. She used a material that was an adhesive iron on fabric and she also zig zagged over it as well.

I reccomend you don't repair those nudies and just invenst your money in other jeans, unless you have some sentimental value placed in those nudies.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

damn, i wish i could post pics of this, but lately ive been using a hood-tastic version of the 45rpm method of repair, and its been working out well. it looks a bit sloppy(bulky), and home-made, but i love it. i take a few long warp yarns from my kaihara scrap denim( from a pair of old nudie legs) and replace the warp yarns with these. on really large holes, i actually have to replace the weft yarns as well, and then hand sew(with needle and thread) the warp fibers in-and-out of the weft(basically reconstructing the denim to cover the hole) ill post pics when i procure the right means. its kinda like jadakiss said"these aint levis, these is rebuilt denim". i just sat back with a dutch and meditated on how i was going to do it, and it actually worked.not saying im the first, but i havent seen anyone do this yet. after you do your own repair, you'll ''know youre addicted". pain-staking, labor-intensive hand-repair jobs are part of the rights of passage into otaku status...why are there only 9 pages of repairs, when most sufu cats claim to beat up their denims?

That does sound interesting, do you back it with anything?

I'm curious what it looks like, try to post pics.

And regarding the "cat's claim to beat up their denims", I don't actually think people on here claim that and you and I both know that hardly any jeans on here get really beat up, just worn till there is a certain amount of contrast and then people move on to a new "project".

You must also know how hard it is to stay dedicated to only one pair...

im the type where the more i beat them, the more i love them. sounds sadistic, but hey. as for the method, i dont put up any cloth backing ala 45rpm/denim doctors, but if the weft is gone, i replace them, and then the warp after. then i go between the warp with more warp fibers until i fill i the spaces, and take even more and run them across horizontally, for further reinforcement. the inspiration for it was human skin. it looks like a flat denim scab of sorts, a nice, thick quilted denim scab. its "hand made in hand made''. bu all this banter is futile without pics, so i appoligize.

Before (when I dropped the pants off the hole had completely split):

nudieback.JPG

After:

repair1.JPG

On the inside:

repair3.JPG

Now the really impressive one:

Before (arrows indicate completely threadbare fabric... my wallet was on the verge of exploding through the pocket)

nudiepkt.jpg

After, fully mended and reinforced"

repair2.JPG

They completely removed the back pocket to the repairs.

Everything was done by my local tairlor.

Cheers.

Guest umhaha84

hm...this is my two year old Nudie Super Slim Kim my first Raw denim...

I haven't wore it ever since it ripped like this.....Is this rescuable??

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

anyone know good repair place around in chicago???

Certainly looks repairable (most stuff is). I have said a few times that a good rec is nice, but most tailors should be able to patch and surge over it. Just ask what they plan to do and explain what you would like. I guess you could even take in pics if you really like.

good method. most people f-up when they repair for form over function. all of your repairs look cool because you can just tell you fixed a place on the jean to stand abuse, not look all pretty. and on an as-needed basis. no one w/o sufu background would know those are $300 sams, as apposed to some cheep(pun intended) wal-mart work denims. thats why they are hot.

• 1 month later...

Throwin' these in here as per request.

Here's some hand done repairs I've done over the past few years to a pair of Nudie SSKs and Skull 5010xx 7x6. Most of the patches are there to reinforce shredded seams, tears and holes that were accumulated from normal wear and skating. I think they held up pretty damn well, especially the Skulls. I used raw Nudie denim for all the patches.

DSC01800.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

DSC01781.jpg

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01793.jpg

DSC01792.jpg

All,

I've accumulated many holes / rips in a pair of jeans because I keep dumping my motorbike. Many of you guys have done impeccable jobs repairing your denim. With this repair this seems like a good time to try some custom work. Going to the fabric store and buying some pastel colours to patch up my denim.

My question: for longevity is it necessary to use denim to patch the jeans? Would just stitching fabric underneath the jean be sufficient?

Hey,

Got a bit of a nasty crotch hole on my nudie grim tims, its of a decent size (no pics yet) and has the denim's threads (?) hanging across it. As you can tell by my description I have NO clue what I'm talking about with repairing the denim; I want to take it to my local tailor, what exact things should I specify? Patch it up with denim? In what manner should it be sewed etc? Any help appreciated dont want to end up fcking up these jeans