supertalk6
Westbrook

Acronym.

23 minutes ago, Endless said:

There isn’t really a discount tho, is it? Correct me if I’m wrong here but the thought is for your guys to pay your own customs and the total price ending up the same as when you buy from American retailers, isn’t it? In the end you might be able to save some money by complaining with the customs service, eventually getting a partial refund, but with all that hassle and the longer shipping shipping times (+ higher shipping fees compared to domestic orders I assume?) I still don’t get why you’re doing it. :/

In short, no it really isn't much of a discount.

I think it came out to like 1440 including shipping and customs after getting the adjustment for a j28 from the main site, which was a little cheaper than most retailers (but not bdga which generally has the best prices on ACR), as places like notre were charging ~1500 and union was ~1700. On less expensive things like shoes it's more expensive to buy from ACR than from a US retailer.

Edit: I personally ordered a j28 from the main site because I figured it would have more stock than a retailer and would give me a better chance of getting it, which is the best reason I can think of for ordering from the main site over a retailer.

Edited by shifty
clarity

3 hours ago, Endless said:

Correct me if I’m wrong here but the thought is for your guys to pay your own customs...

Some EU retailers use a shipping method that doesn't end up with an additional customs fee ;)

Edited by halomunkey

ugh, I thought fashionlaw can do better than this.

dipped heels were on free run 2 sneakerboots in 2013.

Nike-Sneakerboot-Collection-Nike-Free-Run-2-SneakerBoot.jpg.146cf5fa0244bb00dfab78fad6ac2235.jpg

zipper adidas x porter superstar 80s in 2011

porter-x-adidas-originals-ot-superstar-80s-1.jpg.31dd1a0a2f7f726e502e08228353eb7b.jpg

[just to name a few and I guess there were others before]

^ nah these fashion houses are obviously lifting the aesthetic directly from acronym's lf1

On 12/31/2017 at 10:17 AM, Endless said:

There isn’t really a discount tho, is it? Correct me if I’m wrong here but the thought is for your guys to pay your own customs and the total price ending up the same as when you buy from American retailers, isn’t it? In the end you might be able to save some money by complaining with the customs service, eventually getting a partial refund, but with all that hassle and the longer shipping shipping times (+ higher shipping fees compared to domestic orders I assume?) I still don’t get why you’re doing it. :/

On ACR specifically, there usually is a bit of a discount (EU price ex VAT vs. US price) on the headline price and then you save the sales tax, but most ACR products tend to be $800+ so you end up dealing with duties. Obviously some drops are ACRNM.com only. 

For pretty much every thing else though, it's pretty much always cheaper as an American to buy from EU based retailers. Products are typically priced in EUR (incl. VAT) at the same level as they are in the US (pre-tax). VAT is around 20% and US sales tax are around 7-8%. And the USD is super strong at the moment (particularly vs. the pound. So as long as you buy items that are priced below $800, you can expect savings in the range of 30-40% on a full price item from a EU based store vs. buying locally. This dynamic is part of the reason why European online stores have benefited from much stronger growth and are the dominant players right now (in the luxury sector). 

1 hour ago, Kasper said:

On ACR specifically, there usually is a bit of a discount (EU price ex VAT vs. US price) on the headline price and then you save the sales tax, but most ACR products tend to be $800+ so you end up dealing with duties. Obviously some drops are ACRNM.com only. 

For pretty much every thing else though, it's pretty much always cheaper as an American to buy from EU based retailers. Products are typically priced in EUR (incl. VAT) at the same level as they are in the US (pre-tax). VAT is around 20% and US sales tax are around 7-8%. And the USD is super strong at the moment (particularly vs. the pound. So as long as you buy items that are priced below $800, you can expect savings in the range of 30-40% on a full price item from a EU based store vs. buying locally. This dynamic is part of the reason why European online stores have benefited from much stronger growth and are the dominant players right now (in the luxury sector). 

But wouldnt that be very few items? i dont image the latest drop of 3A-3TS was below 800 (i live in the EU so i dont see prices in USD so i might be wrong here) What would be under 800 then? the gaiters and modulars im guessing?

On 12/31/2017 at 4:40 PM, shifty said:

I think it came out to like 1440 including shipping and customs after getting the adjustment for a j28 from the main site, which was a little cheaper than most retailers 

4 hours ago, Kasper said:

Thanks for the info, I guess it really does make sense then. I'm just so used to considering any shipping passing the EU border as a robbery.

Looking to cop a pair of AF100s and even though US pairs are dirt cheap on Ebay ($260 which is less than retail was where I live) However, shipping + import through Ebay's global shipping program ends up at over $150 :(

Does anyone with Apple air pods know how well they work with the Force Lock? Are they prone to falling easily or are the magnets strong enough to hold when, say, running?

My wired ear pods just broke and i'm thinking of upgrading to either the Apple air pods or Xiaomi Mic ANC Type-C earphones for my Google Pixel 2. Also, if anyone knows how well the Xiaomi's (coated with titanium) hold up with magnets like the force lock, please share! Thanks.

air pod acr.jpg

Edited by jeddyhsu

The airpod's case itself uses magnets to hold them in place. Force lock works fine with them, but any abrupt movement is likely to shake them off (jumping, impact while running). It's more a help for when you're just standing or walking slowly, for example like taking them out at a store or when you normally may take one or both out when talking to someone. 

1 hour ago, RemarkableArmor said:

Seriously I wouldn’t go running in any of those acronym shells unless you mean running for a bus or something :D

Yeah, the bus/train/police/... :D

@jeddyhsu I gave them a try on my J46 just before I was going to head out a few months back. They cling to the magnets just fine, even a few abrupt jumps on the spot didn’t shake them.

The magnets also don’t affect the headphones, mine were fine after a few tries to see where best to hang them.

The main problem is that any slight touch or gentle push in any direction dislodges them and they’re out. I just rolled my shoulder, glanced the base of the tube and it fell straight off.

Suffice to say they went right back in their little case.

Like gravity pockets they’re an idea that seems clever but which actually fails in the real world 98% of the time. 

I don't know that "fail" is the right word.  "Limited use cases" would be how I describe it.  NFC cards in Gravity Pockets for the metro is convenient, and never "fails".  Likewise, Forcelock while stationary is quite nice, e.g. at the office I sometimes use it at my desk so that my headphone cable isn't dangling under my forearms/across my keyboard; or when I'm out walking my dog and for whatever reason need to dock earbuds--again, very convenient.  Maybe not useful 98% of the time, but the 2% of the time that it is it works 100% of the time, lol.

3 hours ago, piece keeper said:

I don't know that "fail" is the right word.  "Limited use cases" would be how I describe it.  NFC cards in Gravity Pockets for the metro is convenient, and never "fails".

These have absolutely no practical use case scenario. What you're describing is a good use of internal sleeve pockets, but the whole "gravity" or "ejection" shtick is a complete novelty--let's all be real.

Edited by nesherman

On 2018-01-07 at 1:33 AM, piece keeper said:

Forcelock while stationary is quite nice, e.g. at the office I sometimes use it at my desk so that my headphone cable isn't dangling under my forearms/across my keyboard; or when I'm out walking my dog and for whatever reason need to dock earbuds--again, very convenient.  Maybe not useful 98% of the time, but the 2% of the time that it is it works 100% of the time, lol.

This is how I use forcelock on my J34 as well. I listen to music/podcasts/audio books pretty much constantly when I'm out and about and the function is great to have at any time I have to stop and talk to someone (leaving earbuds in looks really unpolite, even if you pause the music) such as when I'm grabbing a cup of coffee to go or picking up a package at the postal office. At those times, and especially afterwards when putting them back in, forcelock really feels like a luxury compared to putting the earbuds into a pocket or slinging them around the neck. 

4 hours ago, Endless said:

This is how I use forcelock on my J34 as well. I listen to music/podcasts/audio books pretty much constantly when I'm out and about and the function is great to have at any time I have to stop and talk to someone (leaving earbuds in looks really unpolite, even if you pause the music) such as when I'm grabbing a cup of coffee to go or picking up a package at the postal office. At those times, and especially afterwards when putting them back in, forcelock really feels like a luxury compared to putting the earbuds into a pocket or slinging them around the neck. 

I get very paranoid with forcelock ever since I switched to airpods. It just feels like they're not secure enough.

FWIW the Bragi wireless earphones attach tightly to the forcelock and they are waterproof to boot. Is that enough to make anyone switch from airpods?

3 hours ago, SuE said:

FWIW the Bragi wireless earphones attach tightly to the forcelock and they are waterproof to boot. Is that enough to make anyone switch from airpods?

If only they weren't so expensive... 

22 minutes ago, lxkhor said:

If only they weren't so expensive... 

Hah, you do realize this is the ACR thread right?

2 minutes ago, brainerd666 said:

Hah, you do realize this is the ACR thread right?

Glad someone picked up on the irony :P

Double post

Edited by brainerd666