Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

46 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

@vlad_III usually rock a 42 which is borderline too snug 

That’s how I felt about my 46 and upsized to 48. Much happier. It’s a bit baggy over t-Shirt but perfect over a flannel or a sweater. 

Edited by vlad_III

7 hours ago, vlad_III said:

Those 51s look great!
I’m in between 51 and 47 for my next pair. I think it’s the same fabric. 

Correct

3 hours ago, LazyS said:

What are the armpit beltloops on the N1 for?

I also have had my eye on the Gemsa shirt can we have some more pics?

The loops were used in conjunction with the straps of the dungarees 

@shredwin_206 jacket looks a really good fit mate... shoulders, arms fit well... how is it with the top button closed?

I also went a size higher in the S506XX  than my usual Freewheelers i.e. 46 instead of 44, as it just gave that extra bit of room, if needed, for layers.  I did the same with my S516XX but that was to create space for layers as a winter jacket.

I note Seiichiro referred to it as a jacket, as opposed to the 1927 as a blouse.  That makes sense to me based on the fit of mine.  Both great Type 1s imo.  

Edited by MJF9

@MJF9 I tried fitting my 1922 jacket under the N1 with a t-shirt on underneath, I can fit it and zip up just fine but the forearms feel very snug. Not sure if this will subside with wear and break in, but it’s giving me Michelin Man vibes right now. :D

1 hour ago, Broark said:

@MJF9 I tried fitting my 1922 jacket under the N1 with a t-shirt on underneath, I can fit it and zip up just fine but the forearms feel very snug. Not sure if this will subside with wear and break in, but it’s giving me Michelin Man vibes right now. :D

@MJF9 were you being serious wanting to put a denim jacket under the N1?

I can’t wear any type deck jackets with alpaca lining with anything more than a shirt or thermal, even with our winter northerlies - I just find them too warm

13 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

@MJF9 were you being serious wanting to put a denim jacket under the N1?

I can’t wear any type deck jackets with alpaca lining with anything more than a shirt or thermal, even with our winter northerlies - I just find them too warm

Just wondering about the possible permutations, should they be needed

Never had anything alpaca mate... but f me it sounds warm if it stands up to a northern winter... Austin should be well equiped for a softy southern winter in the big smoke then

Now my interest is growing... would be good to get more deets please... what's the temperature range it works on approximately with, say a shirt under? e.g. will it keep me warm watching a football match at 2C with the wind whistling sideways down from the peaks?  How does it fare if the temperatures are up the warmer end, is it OK up to 15C on, say, a stroll around the park?   

12 hours ago, Broark said:

And here you go, open and closed.
I can't imagine ever needing to wear both!
iPVHaQB.jpg

Cheers matey for the pics... yep that's a bit Michellin eh.... what a cracking coat though... lovely colour... bet it'll fit great without that denim jacket...

Edited by MJF9

5 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Just wondering about the possible permutations, should they be needed

Never had anything alpaca mate... but f me it sounds warm if it stands up to a northern winter... Austin should be well equiped for a softy southern winter in the big smoke then

Now my interest is growing... would be good to get more deets please... what's the temperature range it works on approximately with, say a shirt under? e.g. will it keep me warm watching a football match at 2C with the wind whistling sideways down from the peaks?  How does it fare if the temperatures are up the warmer end, is it OK up to 15C on, say, a stroll around the park?   

Cheers matey for the pics... yep that's a bit Michellin eh.... what a cracking coat though... lovely colour... bet it'll fit great without that denim jacket...

Fully fastened with gloves and a hat then easy sub-zero to maybe a cold wind 5°C for me mate. Could be I don’t feel the cold so much, but deck jackets were designed for a purpose - if you’ve ever been on a boat in winter in the middle of the North Sea or Atlantic you’ll know.

Definitely keep you warm standing watching the football.

I think the jacket design is great, but I just don’t get much wear from them. I’d much rather put on a down jacket or my peacoat or even my mackinaw with a couple of layers. 

Aye mate I've heard the stories of resilient Scots who can brave the cold... ach 5C is a heatwave up the east coast

My interest continues... why don't you wear yours much mate?   

Up to what temperature is it comfortable without being too warm?  A range over which it could be worn would be good, rough of course, and add a few C on for us less north :)... minus number to <upper end>?

If worn with a t-shirt, how does the alpaca feel on the arms?

Questions questions questions... it's like the N1 equivalent of @Double 0 Soul's seasonal quiz 😉... 

Maybe a cold spring day is about the limit IMO

I’ve only got the deck zip now - same thing though. I think the problem that I have is the jacket is really all or nothing - after many years of hill walking and mountaineering in shitty highlands weather I’ve just conditioned myself to a different philosophy … layers.

Alpaca is comfortable for me but I know some folk find the fibres a wee bit prickly against bare skin on occasion.

It's all a bit subjective because some folks run hot and some folks run cold.. some folks can be layered up and shivering while others are wearing shorts and a hoody.. I'm somewhere in between where my core runs hot but my extremities are always cold even in the summer... 
I find with a lot of these heavy lined jackets, they're perfect for being stood still outside in the cold but as soon as i start moving around i'm overheating... 

I used to have a Woolrich Arctic Parka.. which was amazingly cozy when stood still outside in 0°C or below but as soon as i start walking.. i'm overheating so i have to unzip it.. which is no issue unless it's drizzling (which it often is in the north of England during jacket weather season) then you're getting your mid-layer wet making the moisture/sweat issue even worse... It was the same with the RMC N1.. I found the Alpaca luxurious and cozy warm but where it made contact with my neck.. it was always sweaty and uncomfortable and the heavy outer fabric couldn't wick the sweat away.

Nowadays.. if it's cold and dry, i'll wear a lightweight down jacket.. nothing better imo for cold blue sky days, if it's wet i'll wear directional fabric, if it's cold and wet, i'll wear a wafer down vest or layers with directional over the top... why not be warm, dry and comfortable rather than being uncomfortable while dressing like a sweaty 1940s sailor.
Edited by Double 0 Soul

Yeah some quality fabrics available now to help with either any serious physical activity or just loafing around.  I noticed the FW N1 has a couple of ventilation holes under the arm so that's sorted then for looking cool whilst doing any low-exertion activity 😉

I think i've gone full cycle y'know.. i came here for my love of denim (as we all did) but also a love of fashion, a love of vintage, a love of functional clothing and a love of tech fabrics.. i always recall @Flash fit pics around 2009.. the dopest denim one could imagine, worn with Vans and a sweater from Next which his then girlfriend bought.. zero fks given for anything other than his jeans and this was sufu at it's core.. 

I like the rest of us embraced the 'superdenim lifestyle'.. Ok i never went full tilt with sufu approved socks, t-shirts, jewelry and such but most of my clothing was sufu approved brands between the 2012 and 2020 period.. often accepting discomfort from heavy-ass outerwear if it meant my outfit looked dope.. well dope, according to my perspective and a small group of internet weirdos, i'd pass hill walkers in the Peak District while i was dressed in deck jacket, watch cap, ww2 denim and hand made leather boots.. like a f'kin comedy sketch!.. anyway, i think i'm over that now, my love of denim hasn't gone away but the sufu costume at the cost of my bank balance, comfort and functionality is long gone... :D

Edited by Double 0 Soul

Great post Double 0.  I hear you regarding the comedy sketch and sufu costume, which is why I try not to wear everything all at once.  My old friends from high school wonder what the hell happened to me.  Out to dinner the other night wearing a G-1 leather jacket, I was asked where I landed my P51 Mustang.

My excuse for buying all this stuff is that I finally know my way around this world (thanks to all of you) and haven't gone shopping for the clothing I used to buy (shopping ain't what it used to be).  So when I needed a sport coat (that didn't sport wide 80s shoulders) and trim slacks to attend a memorial service recently, there was nothing in the closet other than a bunch of jeans, flannel shirts, boots, and N-1 jackets -- yes, I have two.

The McCoy's N-1 Navy SPL is a beauty.  The mouton collar isn't true to history but it sure is soft and comfortable around the neck. 

Though not a big Iron Heart guy, I recently picked up the Oiled N-1 in Olive, which is rugged and tough (like me ;-), has a small but useful interior pocket, and sleeves, which aren't lined in wool/alpaca, but exterior pockets that are.  All of this makes for a warm, but comfortable experience.

As Double 0 said, some of us run hot and others cold.  I'm the guy that wants the extra blanket my wife doesn't need.  So when I put on either N-1 (but never both at the same time), I'm immediately warm and comfortable.  It's basically a wearable blanket.  And who doesn't need that?  😉