The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Jeffori, good choice on the flat heads! As you might be able to tell I'm a fanatic.

Good thoughts trying jeans on to get an idea, but you don't need to try on selvedge ones. Just find a pair of pants that you like and have an idea of what kind of fit you want. Measure the pants and post them here, we can help... 3005 and 3009 are both great choices. 3009 is straight tapered, 3005 is just straight. Here are my fits, to me they look similar but the 3005 is a lot more comfy

What part of the 3005 makes them more comfortable? they look both great on you and seem to be the fit I'd be aiming for too!

Jeffori, good choice on the flat heads! As you might be able to tell I'm a fanatic.

Good thoughts trying jeans on to get an idea, but you don't need to try on selvedge ones. Just find a pair of pants that you like and have an idea of what kind of fit you want. Measure the pants and post them here, we can help... 3005 and 3009 are both great choices. 3009 is straight tapered, 3005 is just straight. Here are my fits, to me they look similar but the 3005 is a lot more comfy...

Unfortunately not everyone is looking for these fits. I know myself i am not entirely interested in straight and more relaxed straight fits. It seems  as a whole Superdenim seems to gravitate more towards these fits

I used to wear slimmer cuts that I didn't realize were unflattering on me, but also started giving me mobility issues. So about the slimmest I get into is a 710xx, which is only for going out.

Ive been eyeballing the 3009 though. Just can't decide if that rise is too low for me.

Hi guys, first time posting here so forgive my lack of knowledge, but I'm looking at two pairs of jeans according to what you all have been sharing, the 3005 and 3009. This is my first venture into "real selvedge" jeans, so I want to make sure I get the sizing and cut right off the bat. 

I'm from an area that isn't too into the raw denim scene, so the closest I could find to something decent was the Uniqlo selvedge denim line. I tried on two pairs of size 33, the stretch slim fit and the regular straight fit. I've attached fit pics for each.

http://imgur.com/a/ag24y

http://imgur.com/a/kf0hs

I'm not sure if its very visible with the limited pictures I've shown, but I've got above average size thighs. I'm not a bodybuilder by any means, but I like to stay active in sports and biking so I have big quads naturally. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm going to assume that Uniqlo's jeans are sanforized and aren't intended to shrink that much after soaks/washes, so I'm using the measurements that the website provides to make my judgement call:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-stretch-slim-fit-straight-jeans-selvedge-135741.html#09~/men/bottoms/jeans/stretch-slim-fit-selvedge/~

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-selvedge-regular-fit-jeans-146133.html#69~/men/bottoms/jeans/regular-fit-selvedge/~

Stretch Slim Fit sz 33: 

Waist (Relaxed): 35 1/4in

Hip: 40 1/3in

Rising Length: 9 4/9in

Thigh: 12 2/5in

Regular Straight Fit sz 33:

Waist (Relaxed): 35 1/4in

Hip: 42 1/3in

Rising Length: 9 4/9in

Thigh: 13 1/5in

I'm a little confused because depending on the website, the sizing for both the 3005 and 3009 differ for the size 33 pairs. Tate+Yoko has really different numbers than that of Self Edge, Rivet and Hide has different numbers than that of Rawr Denim, ect. I'm leaning towards the look of the regular straight fit, and also the extra room will help since I still need to bike a lot to commute around. I'm also looking at the 3012, but I'm not sure if that would be what I was looking for; I would prefer to have a smaller leg opening if possible, I like to wear low cut sneakers a lot.

Any kind of suggestions or advice would be much appreciated, I'm excited to get my first pair in the near future...

Sounds like you want the 3012

I used to wear slimmer cuts that I didn't realize were unflattering on me, but also started giving me mobility issues. So about the slimmest I get into is a 710xx, which is only for going out.

Ive been eyeballing the 3009 though. Just can't decide if that rise is too low for me.

3009 is pretty similar but the rise is definitely lower. Wait stretches easier though. I wear a 34 in 3009 and a 33 in 710xx

What part of the 3005 makes them more comfortable? they look both great on you and seem to be the fit I'd be aiming for too!

Thank you! Yeah they both fit good, but imo unless you're really stick thin less tapered cuts will always feel more comfortable. The 3005 and 3009 are really similar in the top block, but the 3005 has way more fabric down from the mid thigh to knee, and that equals more space to walk, move, etc. So more comfy.

Unfortunately not everyone is looking for these fits. I know myself i am not entirely interested in straight and more relaxed straight fits. It seems  as a whole Superdenim seems to gravitate more towards these fits

I know not everyone is into it, but I really try and guide people toward them because generally these are people that have had trouble in other fits being too small - i.e. they're not stick thin. So I think that the 3005 and 3009 cover good ground in giving different looks that are comfortable. but he said he was looking at the 3005 and 3009 anyway... and according to the measurements the 3012 would probably be what he wanted on account of the tiny hem, but I think that the current jeans he has are carrot-fitting and exacerbate the size of his thighs.

I mainly wear vans and I don't feel like they're "swallowed" by my jeans like many are afraid of, you can wear small shoes with any jeans as long as the inseam is right

Don't have any shirts from them, but the tshirt I got from you fit perfectly. Do you have measurements for yours? The only thing that seems off is the shoulders, my Samurai type II has 17.5 shoulder at a 42 and it sits exactly where I want. But 5002 shows a 20 at a 40..

Edited by bradl

Yes please do SM. I sized up on my s552 so I could accomdate layering but want a nice and slim fit. But that 23" is crazy short, and seems to be the standard with other ones (fullcount, sugar cane)

Edit: have awake and didn't realize who I was replying too

Edited by bradl

Okay so I sold my 3012 that I posted a few days ago thinking I was going to be able to order the 3012 in a size 36 but now they are sold out in that size everywhere and selfedge told me they wouldn't get a restock till October.

So I was wondering what other jeans have similar fits to the 3012 and fading properties to them? I need jeans badly my SAMs are on their last limb.

No actually its the Glory Park blue chambray workshirt (this one). Thankfully I was able to try it on in the Tokyo RJB store, as otherwise I would have gone with my usual 40 and found it too small. The measurements are similar to a standard TFH 40.

I only own one TFH western (a mid-weight flannel) and find that the cut is just a little too slim through the middle of my trunk, around the base of the rib-cage. I wouldn't size up though because the shoulders, chest and sleeve are all ok. 

Shit didn't even think to check, but seems like everywhere is sold out of them, anyone have a shop that might have a 6002w in a 40 or 42?

Try checking with Take 5; I have a feeling they might in one of their shops.

Edited by Iron Horse

Is that outlier a western shirt, perhaps? Just curious, as I wear 40 FH shirts, and was looking at their westerns.

Imo if any of flat heads shirts is slim in the body for you, the westerns will NOT work out. I've never had trouble fitting a shirt ever and the westerns look terrible on me... sizing up doesnt help like sm said because then every other proportion is wack.

Then again, the block check western seemed not much different than their workshirts for some reason...

I would only be concerned with ordering jeans from 2nd if I was requesting hemming. Otherwise I find that provided I keep my English simple and then run it through Google translate, along with exact info on the item I want, it's been fine. I ordered from them a few weeks ago and got my package within two working days via EMS.