The Flat Head

LFC4ever

The 3001-A Natural Indigo Mix, which uses a blend of conventional pure indigo and natural indigo in the warp threads. These jeans don't fade like most natural dyed jeans; there's a beautifully faded pair here in the office that has the same contrast as other FH jeans, but with a really nice aquamarine tint that's different from any other denim I've seen.

Kyle, or ANYONE, can you post or PM me some fade pics of the 3001-A or 3005-A's.  Thinking of copping a pair, but I want to see what they fade like first...Ive read other places that natural indigo wont really fade much...but these are supposed to.  Thanks!

Edited by Ponyboy312

Tyler is obviously more knowledgable on this than myself, but I had to sell my size 32 3009s because they measured 30.5 in the waist presoak. Just a thought.

I've measured all of SEPDX's 3009s, and they are consistently measuring at tagged size, meaning that with a soak you can expect an inch of shrink in the waist...another half inch if you wash them in the machine. 

Hah! Oh well, I guess I'll just order a pair in 31 from Self Edge and exchange if they seem like they'll be too small post soak. Thanks guys.

I will almost always ignore when people talk about their own waist measurements (true waist size), in favor of comparing measured jeans to measured jeans.  Similarly, I'll usually stick to comparing jeans I know size to size, and seeing as a 2009 in 29 works, but is a little tight, a 31, or 32 should do the trick.  If you want to wash the hell out of the jeans (I like doing this, especially with FH) 32 might be more comfortable, but the 31 shouldn't be impossible.

Yeah, I agree regarding true waist size. Mine tends to fluctuate a bit anyway depending on weekly alcohol consumption! I'm gonna try the 31 first and if its roomy enough in the waist pre-soak, I'll keep em. I'm not worried about any of the other measurements--thighs would have to shrink something crazy to end up too small.

I also agree.

I have never had to return a pair of jeans before or sell them because they don't fit me. Find your best fitting pair and measure, it's not hard. Work out shrinkage and stretch and think about initial comfort level and size accordingly. For me, I have always gone pre-soak to fit me straight off the bat as far as waist is concerned. Granted I am 6'3" and slim. I always hot soak so that there is no surprises and I don't have to worry down the road what jean needs to be cold soaked and what one needs to be warm soaked and which one needs to be hot soaked. Braving the initial tightness (between 30 minutes to 3 days depending on denim) has never been a big deal. The initial discomfort is worth it down the road when my jeans reach a year or two and I don't need to wear a belt to keep them up if need be.

Call it OCD but I have actually done a spreadsheet of all my jeans with measurements and averages so that I can easily refer to it when a new jean comes out. That way I don't have to re-measure all the time and I can easily work out the fit based on other jeans that I own. 

When people go on here and say, my waist is 32" or I wear size 29 in APC or I'm 34" waist, should I go TTS? (Is that pre-soak or post soak fit?), there's too many variables that can make for a wrong recommendation. 

MaxPower, I completely agree about the belts.  The leather is ultra thick and really rich with character (I'm crazy about the texture on the inside of my belt), the stitching is really nice and a step up from the screws most companies use for belts like this, and the plate buckle makes a great visual impression without being too over-the-top.  I can't think of a good reason to ever buy another veg tan cowhide belt unless if I lose mine or something.

I did some searching in the thread, but I'm looking for a little more comparison between the 3009 and the 3002. I've tried on the 3009 and like the fit a lot. It's what I was planning on getting but then started looking at the 3002 for a smaller hem.

Are the top blocks nearly the same? I'd take a 32 in the 3009 and I don't really want anything slimmer in the thigh, but a little more taper below the knee could be just right. 

Dude, go for the 3009.  you'll thank me... its such a great cut and very small leg openings/strong tapers don't even look good.  The 3009 is the perfect combination of comfort and slimness without sacrificing a natural look.  

Thanks. I'm leaning that way. I don't like super strong tapers, but I'm long and lean, so some taper helps me. But I'm leaning towards just the blend you're talking about!

I did some searching in the thread, but I'm looking for a little more comparison between the 3009 and the 3002. I've tried on the 3009 and like the fit a lot. It's what I was planning on getting but then started looking at the 3002 for a smaller hem.

Are the top blocks nearly the same? I'd take a 32 in the 3009 and I don't really want anything slimmer in the thigh, but a little more taper below the knee could be just right. 

Top blocks aren't very similar at all.  The 3002 is significantly trimmer than the 3009.

Made the trip in to SESF instead of ordering. Ended up going with a 32 in the 3009. 31 fit but had no room for shrinkage, though gave me a decent idea of what the size 32 will fit like after a wash. Stoked on it! Will post pics after a soak or wash and hem job.

I hope that wedgie disappears after the soak.

GmSzjsRl.jpg

Well, it didn't go away completely just yet but I guess after a second soak and few wears I'm hoping it will look fine.

The inseam shrunk less than I thought so they are going back to the tub. Other than that, I'm quite happy with the fit:

V74jGRAl.jpg

cpOOPOOl.jpg

rVj95yql.jpg