The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Never got the chance to try on a western flannel, nor a workshirt, but looking at picking up the HNW-71W. Not sure how the western would fit on me, as my shirts usually measure 17.5 in shoulders and ~20.5 in the width.

Seems like the workshirt would be better, but was looking for something a little different.

Those Thai guys are really hardcore, they go at least six months without washing (which really isn't necessary if you're using higher-quality denim like TFH) and seem to really like stacking.  The downside is that they stay so dark that you don't really get much vertical fading - washing is what really brings that out.

Personally, I like the contrast-to-texture balance on this pair of 1005s the most, these are pretty much the ideal fade for me and the sort of look I'm going for with my 1001s.

bQZKSyi.jpg

zC7L4xs.jpg

e1q4O0z.jpg

JIB8hZk.jpg

KOswbXd.jpg

df9ucyz.jpg

Edited by Cold Summer

My observation is that eventually, Flat Head denim will get great whiskering and thigh contrast No Matter What; however, the frequency of washing does make a big difference with combs.  The people I know who wash once a week get no combs at all (on straight fits), washing about every month or so gives more time to let the combs wear in. 

I've been washing pretty much less frequently than once a week but more frequently than once a month and I think I'm going to continue like that.  I can tell that my jeans are going to look really really good in just a few months.

Unrelated question: what constitutes a straight cut?  I think the 3009 is considered one, but the hem width is surprisingly small in comparison to the general roominess of the cut.  Is a "straight-cut" more descriptive of the way a pair of jeans is constructed rather than simple comparisons such as the thigh to hem ratio?  As in can a pair of jeans be considered a straight cut even if the hem is small and the thigh is large, provided there is no "tapering" ?

The 3009's basically a classic medium rise straight cut, but with a gradual taper from the knee down.  Technically this isn't "straight," but "straight" has a certain connotation about how the top block and thigh fit, hence why I use it here.  In comparison, a model like the 3001 or 1001 has a slimmer fitting top block and thigh, but it doesn't taper, it's straight from the knee down (hence, slim straight.)

Got a new loopwheeled Flat Head sweatshirt the other day...

0cd57a4d9f86c7d2081fbe931c2a14c5_zps5851

35741ea5cccb212483293cd4143b231a_zpsdcae

861f964c3c86d0db6a8a8119a53cf2e6_zps3f6b

07e6940f2f3ec64fed01246004c2af0b_zps3e98

The fabric has an amazing handfeel, the weight is light to mid-weight.

Snug fit for size L. Cut and fit seems to be authentic and I'm not certain yet if that's good or bad - putting it through the washing machine before I start wearing it...

Real nice sweatshirt Foxy, if you didn't tumble dry it you shouldn't get much shrink, FH's sweatshirts are all washed to get rid of the shrinkage.

I tried on some cool in-stock stuff today.  This paisley shirt and red loopwheeled hoodie are both recent releases, I was pretty impressed to say the least.

Rwm57qd.jpg

This hoodie is seriously soft and warm, I like the three FH sweaters I already have, but this one is really next level.  The fact that the red fabric and beige drawstrings match the shirt doesn't hurt, either!

I wore these with some 3005s, even though it's Flat Head's trademark fit and best-selling model in Japan, it doesn't get as much attention in the west.  It's a really nice straight cut, quite flexible and probably a good fit for lots of different body types.

lICaLJ1.jpg

I tried on a size 31, my real waist is 32 and this is probably how a 32 would fit after shrinking (aside from a shorter inseam.)

zJd7SRX.jpg

Here's the detail on the paisley pattern, it's a little bit tweaked from the previous version.  The beige/red combination looks great, and as usual I like the buttons a lot too.

Muxl2UY.jpg

Edited by Kyle@TFH

Looking at getting into a pair of BSPs. After all is said and done (hot soaking and stretching) is it safe to say a pair that measures 34" in the waist is going to end up at about 33.5? I'm trying to get as close to a 34" waist as possible which is proving difficult because it seems the new batch of bsps is running true to size like the 3002.

Edited by sgs

My size 34 bsps measured right around 35 inches at first, after a couple hot soaks with agitation they went down to just under 34 or so. Then I wore them damp and they've stretched out to 35.5-36 inches. With a wash they might shrink down a little more but not that much. I've owned a pair of the 3002s as well and for some reason the BSP seem to stretch a little more than other fits in the 3xxx denim.  I'd probably go tts on them and throw them in the washer right off the bat. I only sized down because I was in between 2 sizes and I was looking for a slimmer fit but again, the waist did end up stretching enough. 

Edited by B-Sandy

I love left-hand twill denim, but I don't think FH is planning to make anything out of it.

1fookntitefd, try the 3001 - the export version is made in large sizes.  The F310 and 1001 are also slim straight, and made in larger sizes.  If you need more thigh room, try the 3009 (which technically is tapered rather than slim straight, but is also worth a mention.)