Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

BiG have probably got the best range outside Japan and I'd disagree about them only having high rises and wide legs. Have you seen the 103 or 106?

Have a look at the SDA website and see if there's anything you like there. If so, you could ask Gordon to order it in for you or order directly yourself. It may simply be that SDA aren't right for you and you need to look at a more 'modern' brand that offers slim fits.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my tag size 32 ~1 year old SDA SD-003 with 1 hot soak. I Wore these really hard over the Korean winter last year, but couldn't wear them to work for 8 hours a day during that time. They still have LOTS of life left in them, but I actually don't see many of the SD-003's so I wanted to put them up. I've been thinking about getting them hemmed because baggy jeans on short dudes with 4 cuffs makes me look even shorter, i think. Haven't done it yet though because I would have to send them off to be hemmed and haven't wanted to part with them yet. But they're amazingly comfortable now and in that sweet spot in the life of denim where it's still fair new, but soft and fading more by the day.

sorry for bad lighting, maybe I'll try and get a friend with a nicer camera to take some pics on a sunny day. I put them in an imgur album, am i supposed to host them on sufu or is this fine?

http://imgur.com/a/KHa6Z

BiG now have the Champloo jeans in stock, which seem to be pretty much a special edition version of the SD-103 and made by Double Volante. Not cheap at $450 though:

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=12025&category_id=&manufacturer_id=12&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

Edited by Maynard Friedman

Reserved a pair with Take5 - here is the Take5 version:

I gues it is more expensive because it is a limited edition done by a single craftsman (husband & wife team) - alone the sewing takes longer compared to factory/workshop with separate tasks and multiple operators...

Hey Foxy2 - I have great respect and admiration for independent artisans who offer fine denim - OOE, Roy, Old Blue Co. (own pairs from each) and DV. Just wondering what makes these worth $150 to $200 more than the regular Studio D'Artisan line; in my opinon one of the finest jeans available. No disregard for DV intended.

Edited by lance

I guess there is no satisfying answer out there for this question...

The topic for this limited SDA edition is the anniversary of the day Okinawa was formally returned to Japan - SDA wanted this pair to be produced on Okinawa and, like they have done previously with certain limited editions (check PSA), "crafted" by a single "artist" rather than in their regular factory with specialized operators for separate tasks.

Mass-produced jeans (Mexico, Turkey, China...) will take about 15-25 minutes or less these days in assembly depending on the degree of automization (pocket setting machines...). Now, if you take this to a small workshop, improve the details and change to single needle machines your output will go down dramatically and you cost goes up. Ultimately, you can have it done by a single operator and it becomes singular, unique piece with a daily output of few jeans per day. This is how Rising Sun, Roy and a few others operate (by choice or necessity).

How much they charge, how much it's worth to you and if the resulting product is "better" - difficult to find an objective answer here.

The price from SDA seems to be inline with what I have seen in this particular niche of the market - Japan or USA.

Some people get mass-produced shoes, some want bench-made shoes and some go for bespoke shoes from a cobbler...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Peeps, I'm looking at a pair of either SD 601-99's or SD-103's and yeh you guessed it I'm looking for sizing advice(I have scoured the thread prior to this...Honest guv!).

I'm a 34 waist and am looking for the end result after soak and stretch around this size. I did have a pair of the LHT 003's tagged at 34 that were waaaaayyyy big, post soak and wash they measured at 35" after some wear.

Any idea's on what I should be looking at? Ta

I found some sizing on the 103's at the Studio website and it looks like between the 33" and 34" sizes there is a 6cm/2.5" size difference, so the 34's look too big and the 33's too tight.

So I'm kind of in limbo with these....

Cheers in advance!

anyone had any experience with Studio D'artisan loopwheel sweatshirts - do they fit true to size or do you need to size up?

Generally you have to size up. I normally wear small in American clothing, but in SDA hoodies I wear Medium.

Here is one that will fit like an American Large: http://www.tateandyoko.com/1-jeans/168-studio-d-artisan-9553-pullover-hoodie-navy.html

But Tate + Yoko just restocked today! Just have to take new photos and post them later this week. Got navy and oatmeal colors.